PDA

View Full Version : HELP ncjordan Baby!

hazel
09-17-2007, 05:12 AM
Hi and :Welcome ncjordan!

ncjordan posted at the end of someone elses thread in Non Life Threatening and I was concerned it wouldn't be noticed so I started a new thread here.

ncjordan reports:

3-4 wk old baby squirrel
eyes now open
has had for 1 week
feeding ''powdered milk replacer'' with a bottle 3 - 4 times a day

Baby is now clicking, cant sleep and ncjordan is wondering if the baby is in pain.

I posted in response to ncjordan's post in the other thread (of COURSE it went on the start of p.2 so I also pm'ed.)

hazel
09-17-2007, 05:31 AM
Sounds like your baby may have pneumonia. Unfortunately baby squirrels fed with a bottle can get too much milk too fast causing them to inhale it, which causes a very serious case of pneumonia.
Has milk ever come out of his nose when you're feeding him?
Hold the side of his chest to your ear (make sure you're in a very quiet room)
Normally you would hear his heart beating (fast!) and not much else. Are you hearing other sounds, such as crackling, rumbling or noisy inhaling/exhaling? If so, he has pneumonia.
Do you have a heating pad under half his enclosure? If not, it's very important that you do so.

One of TSB's members, Mars, is very knowledgeable in homeopathy. She recently helped me cure a baby squirrel of pneumonia - easily and quickly!
Do you have a health food store near you that you can get to as soon as they open in the a.m.? Or, have you checked into whether or not there are any wildlife rehabilitators in your area?

I suspect that your squirrel is restless because he's having trouble breathing!
This is truly a life threatening emergency. Please post as soon as possible with an update.

Also, I strongly suggest that you not attempt to feed him anything until we communicate more.

ncjordan
09-17-2007, 08:17 AM
ok I won't feed him.
Yes, he has inhaled liquid on several instances when we have fed him. and I listened to his chest and there's definitely some crackling squeaking sound once in a while. also, on every inhale he makes this clicking in-breath. He didn't sleep all night.
Can I bolster his immune system somehow?

ncjordan
09-17-2007, 08:20 AM
also, I don't have a heating pad, but I do have a small desk lamp with a 60 watt bulb that is poised over his enclosure and heats the whole thing. Is this ok do you think, or does the light bother him. He burrows under the blanket if he wants.

Buddy'sMom
09-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Hi! -- and welcome from Maryland!

You will need rehabber help with the baby's clicking (I am not one), but I just wanted to pop in with a suggestion for heat. The light is probably not enough (though the key is that the baby feels nice and warm (not hot, but warmer than your hands).

A heatingpad w/o auto shutoff is best. But 2 temporary alternatives:

Rice buddy -- take a sock and fill 2/3 with rice (or lentils) and knot the end. Microwave briefly so it's very warm (NOT TOO HOT!). wrap in tshirt if nec. They love to snuggle these!

Water bottle -- fill small plastic bottle w/ hot water. Wrap in tshirt. Change as it cools (frequently).

:grouphug

4skwerlz
09-17-2007, 08:34 AM
Your baby will need antibiotics right away--I mean this morning. Is there a vet nearby that will see your squirrel?

thundersquirrel
09-17-2007, 08:46 AM
hi nc, :Welcome

how opposed are you to finding a licensed rehabber for this little guy? a rehabber would have the proper medicine he needs, and would probably find siblings to raise him with and eventually release him. we can help you find one nearby, if you want. let us know! :)

as 4skwerlz said, he needs medicine as soon as possible. a quick solution would be a homeopathic remedy (contact mars). the next step would be to get an antibiotic such as baytril. this should happen quickly, as pneumonia is a fast moving disease. :(

i'll keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers. :Love_Icon :Love_Icon
keep us updated! :grouphug

Apple Corps
09-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Arrangements have been made for the lil fuzzer to be seen by a vet w/i the hour. A Baytril injection followed up with oral Baytril is in the cards.

You should see an update by early this afternoon.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-17-2007, 11:57 AM
:thankyou AC!! Your good!

Buddy'sMom
09-17-2007, 12:10 PM
:thumbsup :thumbsup

island rehabber
09-17-2007, 12:42 PM
:thumbsup:thankyou AC!!!:thankyou

Apple Corps
09-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Thank all of you for the "Thank You" comments :crazy :crazy

More and more in these serious sounding cases I am expediting a vet visit. My "guess" is that there are times when there is so little time for significant intervention to save these lil creatures.

Most of the time I can obtain help from a vet on the first call - sometimes it takes 2 or 3 calls. Even then it is much quicker than running all over the place looking for things that might not do the job in these more acute cases.

The lil fuzzer may already have been seen - lets pray we get a great outcome.

AC

Apple Corps
09-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Baytril injection is complete - still clicking but not as bad. More treatment on the way :-)

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-17-2007, 04:04 PM
:wahoo :wahoo prayers continuing!

Apple Corps
09-17-2007, 05:09 PM
Oliver is doing better and a heating pad, pedialyte, and 1 cc syringe are in the process of being purchased. The clicking is less and less.

The vet was a real winner we think :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-17-2007, 05:18 PM
:bowdown :bowdown :bowdown

4skwerlz
09-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Great news! Just following up: Is anyone making sure ncjordan has all the right info so this doesn't happen again?

Apple Corps
09-17-2007, 07:02 PM
That would be me - I've had several phone discussions with him today and all appears to be on the right track (I hope).

thundersquirrel
09-17-2007, 07:17 PM
that's wonderful AC! you get an A+ for this one. ;)

Apple Corps
09-17-2007, 10:12 PM
ncjordan - here is the pic I promised:

Nutkin
09-18-2007, 08:20 AM
SOOO Glad this little one seem well on the way to recovery!
You Go AC!:jump

Apple Corps
09-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Prayers continue - no update this morning yet.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-18-2007, 08:55 AM
:wahoo Glad to hear the baby is doing much better! I am so glad he got to the vets and got the antibiotics that he needed. That is great news! Good work Apple Corps.

Apple Corps
09-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Still no update - can't help but be a bit worried - what can I say :shakehead

Apple Corps
09-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Oliver did not make it - :-(

hazel
09-18-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm so sorry to hear the bad news, ncjordan. Rest in Peace little Oliver.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-18-2007, 03:28 PM
I am soooooooooooooo sorry to hear that Oliver didn't make it. :sad

RIP dear sweet little Oliver :grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

Mars
09-18-2007, 03:30 PM
:sad