PDA

View Full Version : Help baby squirrel is having diarrhea

Squirrelbaby99
11-19-2021, 11:33 AM
I work as a vet tech at an animal hospital and on Wednesday a baby squirrel was brought in after falling from a tree. The baby squirrel had blood around its nose and one of its bottom front teeth fell out. The baby was slightly dehydrated as well. I took the baby home and have slowly worked on rehydrating it and have been feeding it esbilac puppy milk replace (mix 1 part powder with 2 parts water). She had a normal solid poop the first night I brought her home and she is peeing on her own. She has gotten used to the formula and is now eating it very well. This morning she started having softer more orangey/light tan colored stool. I fed her bout 8mls this morning at 9Am and since then I have held off on feeding her because of the diarrhea. I have been offering her water from a syringe about every hour but she doesn’t like it. I am wondering if maybe I fed her too much or too often. I was feeding her every 2-3 hours at first because she would only eat about 1-2mls. Know that she has started to eat more I began spacing it out more to 4 hours. I was also giving her some pedialyte yesterday but stopped today because I read that you weren’t supposed to give it for more than 24 hrs. If anyone has any advice that would be greatly appreciated. I don’t know how old she is, but her eyes are open, she is fluffy, and has teeth. I would guess 7-8 weeks maybe.I know hoe fast diarrhea can lead to issues so I am trying to do whatever I can to prevent this.

Spanky
11-19-2021, 11:48 AM
I work as a vet tech at an animal hospital and on Wednesday a baby squirrel was brought in after falling from a tree. The baby squirrel had blood around its nose and one of its bottom front teeth fell out. The baby was slightly dehydrated as well. I took the baby home and have slowly worked on rehydrating it and have been feeding it esbilac puppy milk replace (mix 1 part powder with 2 parts water). She had a normal solid poop the first night I brought her home and she is peeing on her own. She has gotten used to the formula and is now eating it very well. This morning she started having softer more orangey/light tan colored stool. I fed her bout 8mls this morning at 9Am and since then I have held off on feeding her because of the diarrhea. I have been offering her water from a syringe about every hour but she doesn’t like it. I am wondering if maybe I fed her too much or too often. I was feeding her every 2-3 hours at first because she would only eat about 1-2mls. Know that she has started to eat more I began spacing it out more to 4 hours. I was also giving her some pedialyte yesterday but stopped today because I read that you weren’t supposed to give it for more than 24 hrs. If anyone has any advice that would be greatly appreciated. I don’t know how old she is, but her eyes are open, she is fluffy, and has teeth. I would guess 7-8 weeks maybe.I know hoe fast diarrhea can lead to issues so I am trying to do whatever I can to prevent this.

The black / dark poops are from mom's milk. The Esbilac poops will be a lighter color, usually golden or mustard (I am not good with colors, there are only 5 in my world). If it is "whitish" that is usually a sign of over-feeding.

We feed by weight, 5-7% of body weight per feeding... so a 100gm baby would get fed 5 - 7ml per feeding. If you can weigh here, and post pictures, we can provide more precise advice on amounts and frequency of feeding. My guess is she should not be fed more than 4 times a day right now.

She should also get started on rodent block (Teklad, Mazuri... or you can use Henry's which is a supplement (2 blocks a day) in addition to veggies). No nuts or seeds, block only to start.

Squirrelbaby99
11-19-2021, 12:00 PM
I have to go into work tonight and was going to bring her with me this way I can get a weight for her.

Squirrelbaby99
11-19-2021, 12:04 PM

Squirrelbaby99
11-19-2021, 12:08 PM
Also what kind of veggies should I offer her and how much?

Squirrelbaby99
11-19-2021, 01:25 PM
The black / dark poops are from mom's milk. The Esbilac poops will be a lighter color, usually golden or mustard (I am not good with colors, there are only 5 in my world). If it is "whitish" that is usually a sign of over-feeding.

We feed by weight, 5-7% of body weight per feeding... so a 100gm baby would get fed 5 - 7ml per feeding. If you can weigh here, and post pictures, we can provide more precise advice on amounts and frequency of feeding. My guess is she should not be fed more than 4 times a day right now.

She should also get started on rodent block (Teklad, Mazuri... or you can use Henry's which is a supplement (2 blocks a day) in addition to veggies). No nuts or seeds, block only to start.

She is 119 g

Spanky
11-19-2021, 02:45 PM
Also what kind of veggies should I offer her and how much?

First and only solids should be rodent block. After she is eating (actually eating) the block, here is the healthy food chart:
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

Spanky
11-19-2021, 02:51 PM
She is 119 g

At 119grams she should take 6ml - 8.5ml of formula per feeding. I would feed her 4 - 5 times a day.

She looks dehydrated a bit. You are correct about not continuing the pediatlye, but you can give her some sweetened water for hydration. Just a bit of honey to get her interested in the water. Another trick is to dip the nipple into the the honey (or syrup) to get her interested. Give her water in between feedings.

I'd recommend you order some Fox Valley 20/50 for her.. you can switch that our for the Esbilac, or use a 50% Esbilac and 50% Fox Valley formula.

Is she exhibiting any sort of head trauma issues... tilting her head or circling?

Also, if you are not familiar with Aspiration Pneumonia (AP) listening to her breathing often... you don't want to hear a persistent "click" noise with each breath. You might hear a "mouth click" occasionally, especially after eating, but this is not the chest clicking of AP.

Squirrelbaby99
11-19-2021, 05:16 PM
At 119grams she should take 6ml - 8.5ml of formula per feeding. I would feed her 4 - 5 times a day.

She looks dehydrated a bit. You are correct about not continuing the pediatlye, but you can give her some sweetened water for hydration. Just a bit of honey to get her interested in the water. Another trick is to dip the nipple into the the honey (or syrup) to get her interested. Give her water in between feedings.

I'd recommend you order some Fox Valley 20/50 for her.. you can switch that our for the Esbilac, or use a 50% Esbilac and 50% Fox Valley formula.

Is she exhibiting any sort of head trauma issues... tilting her head or circling?

Also, if you are not familiar with Aspiration Pneumonia (AP) listening to her breathing often... you don't want to hear a persistent "click" noise with each breath. You might hear a "mouth click" occasionally, especially after eating, but this is not the chest clicking of AP.

I don’t see any signs of head trauma. I was going to give her some fluid under the skin while at work. Any recommendations on how much I should give her? I am also not hearing any clicking with her breathing.

Squirrelbaby99
11-19-2021, 07:57 PM
I gave her 10 mls of fluid under her skin. Also have her a feeding at 3 and another at 9. Will continue to give her water via a syringe tonight and then she will be coming back to work with me tomorrow. Will consider giving her some more fluids under the skin if necessary. I also ordered the rodent blocks and the recommended formula so hopefully I can start using those soon.

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-20-2021, 10:10 AM
I gave her 10 mls of fluid under her skin. Also have her a feeding at 3 and another at 9. Will continue to give her water via a syringe tonight and then she will be coming back to work with me tomorrow. Will consider giving her some more fluids under the skin if necessary. I also ordered the rodent blocks and the recommended formula so hopefully I can start using those soon.

Hi Squirrelbaby: If you don't mind some comments; 1) Subcutaneous fluids should ordinarily be used only if your Squirrel is unable to ingest fluid orally. The very best means of fluid intake by far is by mouth! There have been several studies that demonstrate that oral rehydration is at least as effective as even intravenous rehydration! Without regular oral intake there can also be changes that take place in the lining of the intestines that can result in problems and oral nutritional intake will prevent this from occurring. While Subcutaneous fluid administration is usually safe, there are well recognized risks which include; a) pain and discomfort associated with the puncture itself and from the fluid flowing and collecting under the skin, and b) risk of infection; among others. I would like to encourage you to use only oral means of hydration and feeding and to follow the recommendations for that posted for you previously by Spanky. Please discontinue the fluid administration under the skin and reserve that only if your Squirrel is truly unable to take in fluids orally. By the way, what is your Squirrel's name?
Thanks and regards,
SamtheSquirrel

Squirrelbaby99
11-20-2021, 05:37 PM
Hi Squirrelbaby: If you don't mind some comments; 1) Subcutaneous fluids should ordinarily be used only if your Squirrel is unable to ingest fluid orally. The very best means of fluid intake by far is by mouth! There have been several studies that demonstrate that oral rehydration is at least as effective as even intravenous rehydration! Without regular oral intake there can also be changes that take place in the lining of the intestines that can result in problems and oral nutritional intake will prevent this from occurring. While Subcutaneous fluid administration is usually safe, there are well recognized risks which include; a) pain and discomfort associated with the puncture itself and from the fluid flowing and collecting under the skin, and b) risk of infection; among others. I would like to encourage you to use only oral means of hydration and feeding and to follow the recommendations for that posted for you previously by Spanky. Please discontinue the fluid administration under the skin and reserve that only if your Squirrel is truly unable to take in fluids orally. By the way, what is your Squirrel's name?
Thanks and regards,
SamtheSquirrel
I have yet to name her since I am trying to not get too attached in case she doesn’t make it. The first squirrel I rehabbed didn’t make it and it was really hard on me. If she makes it past a week, I will start think of names. She weighed in at 126g today and I have been feeding her every 5 hours (about 7 mls). Her hydration has really been a struggle. She pretty much refuses to take the water orally from a syringe or from anywhere. The only way I have gotten her to drink anything is by putting 0.2 mls of formula with 0.8mls of water and mixing that together and then syringe feeding her. She tolerates that but not for long (only will take about 0.5-1ml). She is still having soft stool so I am concerned about the hydration. I did offer her some of the rodent blocks today and she has seemed interested in them. She does seem to be having a hard time with chewing and biting the blocks but she is starting to figure it out. She loves the formula and eats it very well for me. I ordered the other formula previously recommended and it should be here shortly. I gave her 10 mls of fluid yesterday and that seemed to help. I understand the dangers, but my previous squirrel struggled with hydration which led to her death and I am extra worried about keeping this one hydrated. Overall she is doing well, just worried about the soft stool and the hydration.

Squirrelbaby99
11-20-2021, 06:10 PM
This was her most recent stool. It was definitely more formed but still extremely soft.

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-20-2021, 06:39 PM
I have yet to name her since I am trying to not get too attached in case she doesn’t make it. The first squirrel I rehabbed didn’t make it and it was really hard on me. If she makes it past a week, I will start think of names. She weighed in at 126g today and I have been feeding her every 5 hours (about 7 mls). Her hydration has really been a struggle. She pretty much refuses to take the water orally from a syringe or from anywhere. The only way I have gotten her to drink anything is by putting 0.2 mls of formula with 0.8mls of water and mixing that together and then syringe feeding her. She tolerates that but not for long (only will take about 0.5-1ml). She is still having soft stool so I am concerned about the hydration. I did offer her some of the rodent blocks today and she has seemed interested in them. She does seem to be having a hard time with chewing and biting the blocks but she is starting to figure it out. She loves the formula and eats it very well for me. I ordered the other formula previously recommended and it should be here shortly. I gave her 10 mls of fluid yesterday and that seemed to help. I understand the dangers, but my previous squirrel struggled with hydration which led to her death and I am extra worried about keeping this one hydrated. Overall she is doing well, just worried about the soft stool and the hydration.

Thanks Squirrelbaby. I can understand all of your concerns and you are not alone. All of us, even those of us like me who rehab on a small scale have had some heartbreaking events occur with our Little Ones! It never gets easier but one thing I have learned about the sad side of rahabbing is that it makes the wonderful side even more meaningful! I know that you have concerns about your current Little Squirrel that are amplified by the sad loss of your first Squirrel. Please know that there are some very encouraging signs indicating that things are going better for your Squirrel. She has gained 7 grams over one day! This indicates that she is retaining fluids and since you are giving formula, she is also getting adequate nutritional support. I am a little confused by a couple of your comments that seem to contradict each other. You said that "she pretty much refuses to take the water orally from a syringe or from anywhere. The only way I have gotten her to drink anything is by putting 0.2 mls of formula with 0.8mls of water and mixing that together and then syringe feeding her" and later you stated that "she loves the formula and eats it very well for me!" If you meant that your Squirrel is not drinking much plain water but she is freely drinking her formula, that is truly great! You do not need to push further plain water and really should not do so. She should have a source of supplemental plain water available but you do not need to make a special effort as you seem to be doing to get her drink plain water. If she is drinking an adequate amount of formula (5-7% of current body weight), she will be getting adequate fluids through her formula and additionally, she will be getting needed electrolytes such as sodium and potassium, minerals such as calcium and general nutritional support as well and there is no need to try to push additional plain water and pushing additional plain water or any other rehydrating fluids should really be avoided. Again, this was said only in light of what seem like your Squirrel's adequate intake of formula. If she is not taking formula or fluids voluntarily, then other means of nutritional intake is necessary, but again, it should be orally if at all possible.

Please use caution if you must feed with a syringe and nipple; the Squirrel should be held upright and only one or two drops should be placed on her tongue at one time and then allowed to be swallowed. Please avoid putting the fluid or food toward the back of the tongue, forcing the material into her mouth or throat or giving more than a drop or two (or 3 or 4 if she avidly swallows the stuff) as these cautionary actions will help prevent aspiration (sucking the fluid or food into the lungs) which can cause an inflammation in the lungs called aspiration pneumonitis or an actual infection called aspiration pneumonia. Both of these conditions are potentially very serious and can easily be avoided by careful oral feeding practices.

Please weigh every morning and adjust your formula volume to reflect the current weight just as Spanky has explained earlier.

If it seems that your Squirrel is interested in the blocks but might have some dental issues or she is just not quite ready to chew the blocks, you can soak the blocks in the formula for a short time and when they are softened somewhat, you can offer those to your Squirrel and see if this softer consistency and/or the familiar taste and smell of the formula might be all it will take to get her to eat some of the blocks as well.

Thanks for the update! Please continue to post them.

Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

stepnstone
11-20-2021, 07:13 PM
I have yet to name her since I am trying to not get too attached in case she doesn’t make it. The first squirrel I rehabbed didn’t make it and it was really hard on me. If she makes it past a week, I will start think of names. She weighed in at 126g today and I have been feeding her every 5 hours (about 7 mls). Hlyer hydration has really been a struggle. She pretty much refuses to take the water orally from a syringe or from anywhere. The only way I have gotten her to drink anything is by putting 0.2 mls of formula with 0.8mls of water and mixing that together and then syringe feeding her. She tolerates that but not for long (only will take about 0.5-1ml). She is still having soft stool so I am concerned about the hydration. I did offer her some of the rodent blocks today and she has seemed interested in them. She does seem to be having a hard time with chewing and biting the blocks but she is starting to figure it out. She loves the formula and eats it very well for me. I ordered the other formula previously recommended and it should be here shortly. I gave her 10 mls of fluid yesterday and that seemed to help. I understand the dangers, but my previous squirrel struggled with hydration which led to her death and I am extra worried about keeping this one hydrated. Overall she is doing well, just worried about the soft stool and the hydration.
I hear what your saying and I too have had losses with babies that couldn't maintain their hydration. With lessons learned, those losses have saved many more lives by reverting to the addition of subqing. Oral hydration may be the best route to stay hydrated but with diarrhea the body can lose more fluid than it can take in and the body doesn't have the fluid it needs to function properly. Dehydration is a slippery slope, when a baby starts "crashing" it's generally too late to turn it around as kidneys and other organs have already started to shut down. Subqing can help bring those levels up faster and to where it then can be maintained orally. I would continue to offer oral hydration in between regular feedings to whatever amount he will take. (without bloating)

I personally have only had to subq 2-3 times on serious babies to get them stable... but... you need to also work on stopping the diarrhea.
Diarrhea and dehydration go hand in hand with one aiding the other.
Has this baby been given anything to address the diarrhea?

Squirrelbaby99
11-20-2021, 07:28 PM
I hear what your saying and I too have had losses with babies that couldn't maintain their hydration. With lessons learned, those losses have saved many more lives by reverting to the addition of subqing. Oral hydration may be the best route to stay hydrated but with diarrhea the body can lose more fluid than it can take in and the body doesn't have the fluid it needs to function properly. Dehydration is a slippery slope, when a baby starts "crashing" it's generally too late to turn it around as kidneys and other organs have already started to shut down. Subqing can help bring those levels up faster and to where it then can be maintained orally. I would continue to offer oral hydration in between regular feedings to whatever amount he will take. (without bloating)

I personally have only had to subq 2-3 times on serious babies to get them stable... but... you need to also work on stopping the diarrhea.
Diarrhea and dehydration go hand in hand with one aiding the other.
Has this baby been given anything to address the diarrhea?
I’m not sure what to give her to help with the diarrhea. I ordered the formula recommended (fox valley 20/50) and am hoping that when I start using that it will help form the stool better. If you have any recommendations on what I can do to help with the diarrhea that would be much appreciated.

Squirrelbaby99
11-20-2021, 07:32 PM
Thanks Squirrelbaby. I can understand all of your concerns and you are not alone. All of us, even those of us like me who rehab on a small scale have had some heartbreaking events occur with our Little Ones! It never gets easier but one thing I have learned about the sad side of rahabbing is that it makes the wonderful side even more meaningful! I know that you have concerns about your current Little Squirrel that are amplified by the sad loss of your first Squirrel. Please know that there are some very encouraging signs indicating that things are going better for your Squirrel. She has gained 7 grams over one day! This indicates that she is retaining fluids and since you are giving formula, she is also getting adequate nutritional support. I am a little confused by a couple of your comments that seem to contradict each other. You said that "she pretty much refuses to take the water orally from a syringe or from anywhere. The only way I have gotten her to drink anything is by putting 0.2 mls of formula with 0.8mls of water and mixing that together and then syringe feeding her" and later you stated that "she loves the formula and eats it very well for me!" If you meant that your Squirrel is not drinking much plain water but she is freely drinking her formula, that is truly great! You do not need to push further plain water and really should not do so. She should have a source of supplemental plain water available but you do not need to make a special effort as you seem to be doing to get her drink plain water. If she is drinking an adequate amount of formula (5-7% of current body weight), she will be getting adequate fluids through her formula and additionally, she will be getting needed electrolytes such as sodium and potassium, minerals such as calcium and general nutritional support as well and there is no need to try to push additional plain water and pushing additional plain water or any other rehydrating fluids should really be avoided. Again, this was said only in light of what seem like your Squirrel's adequate intake of formula. If she is not taking formula or fluids voluntarily, then other means of nutritional intake is necessary, but again, it should be orally if at all possible.

Please use caution if you must feed with a syringe and nipple; the Squirrel should be held upright and only one or two drops should be placed on her tongue at one time and then allowed to be swallowed. Please avoid putting the fluid or food toward the back of the tongue, forcing the material into her mouth or throat or giving more than a drop or two (or 3 or 4 if she avidly swallows the stuff) as these cautionary actions will help prevent aspiration (sucking the fluid or food into the lungs) which can cause an inflammation in the lungs called aspiration pneumonitis or an actual infection called aspiration pneumonia. Both of these conditions are potentially very serious and can easily be avoided by careful oral feeding practices.

Please weigh every morning and adjust your formula volume to reflect the current weight just as Spanky has explained earlier.

If it seems that your Squirrel is interested in the blocks but might have some dental issues or she is just not quite ready to chew the blocks, you can soak the blocks in the formula for a short time and when they are softened somewhat, you can offer those to your Squirrel and see if this softer consistency and/or the familiar taste and smell of the formula might be all it will take to get her to eat some of the blocks as well.

Thanks for the update! Please continue to post them.

Regards,
SamtheSquirrel
She will eat 7 mls of formula every 5 hours and does so very eagerly and willingly. I am very careful while feeding her and let her dictate the pace. We go slow and she is always in a safe position when I feed her. I have been trying to offer some straight water by syringe between feedings to help with the hydration and diarrhea. She loves the straight formula but will not tolerate the water only between feedings. She was slightly dehydrated today (her skin was slightly tented when I pulled it up) so that is why I have continued with the water in between feedings. I would like to continue with some water just until I can get the diarrhea under control.

Mel1959
11-20-2021, 08:31 PM
Give the squirrel a small amount of pepto Bismol or kaopectate. The pepto will cause the stool to be dark. When that happens you will know it’s made it through her system. You can repeat dosing if the diarrhea doesn’t improve.

Fox valley makes a product called dia-stat that rehabbers swear by. It controls diarrhea while still providing nourishment.

Squirrelbaby99
11-20-2021, 08:46 PM
Give the squirrel a small amount of pepto Bismol or kaopectate. The pepto will cause the stool to be dark. When that happens you will know it’s made it through her system. You can repeat dosing if the diarrhea doesn’t improve.

Fox valley makes a product called dia-stat that rehabbers swear by. It controls diarrhea while still providing nourishment.

Just ordered the diastat on Amazon. It should be here on Monday. Thanks so much for the suggestion. How much pepto would you suggest giving. I don’t want to give her too much.

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-20-2021, 10:51 PM
She will eat 7 mls of formula every 5 hours and does so very eagerly and willingly. I am very careful while feeding her and let her dictate the pace. We go slow and she is always in a safe position when I feed her. I have been trying to offer some straight water by syringe between feedings to help with the hydration and diarrhea. She loves the straight formula but will not tolerate the water only between feedings. She was slightly dehydrated today (her skin was slightly tented when I pulled it up) so that is why I have continued with the water in between feedings. I would like to continue with some water just until I can get the diarrhea under control.

I understand your concerns. Please weigh your little one in the morning before her first feeding of the day. Hopefully the loose stools will be fully resolved in the next 24 hours or less!
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

stepnstone
11-20-2021, 11:53 PM
Just ordered the diastat on Amazon. It should be here on Monday. Thanks so much for the suggestion. How much pepto would you suggest giving. I don’t want to give her too much.

At 119 grams using a 1cc syringe dose would be 0.23
Can be given Qid (4 x daily)

Squirrelbaby99
11-21-2021, 07:14 AM
I understand your concerns. Please weigh your little one in the morning before her first feeding of the day. Hopefully the loose stools will be fully resolved in the next 24 hours or less!
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

My gram scale isn’t supposed to be delivered until tonight, so I will have to go sit until tomorrow to weigh her again. Hopefully she is gaining well.

Squirrelbaby99
11-21-2021, 07:27 AM
At 119 grams using a 1cc syringe dose would be 0.23
Can be given Qid (4 x daily)

I just gave her the first dose of pepto after her first feeding of the day. Fingers crossed it helps my little baby.

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-21-2021, 07:59 AM
I just gave her the first dose of pepto after her first feeding of the day. Fingers crossed it helps my little baby.

How is your Little One doing this morning. Is there still diarrhea and if so; is she expelling "watery" like stool or is this more like semi-formed soft stools or just formed but softer than expected stools? Is there any apparent blood or mucus in her stool or any evidence of parasites. This make a difference as to evaluating possible causes and treatment and fluid requirements. Is she active and still drinking her formula? Are you still offering some of the block? Please post her weight when it is available! I hope you got some sleep last night Squirrelbaby!
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

Squirrelbaby99
11-21-2021, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE=SamtheSquirrel2018;1340473]How is your Little One doing this morning. Is there still diarrhea and if so; is she expelling "watery" like stool or is this more like semi-formed soft stools or just formed but softer than expected stools? Is there any apparent blood or mucus in her stool or any evidence of parasites. This make a difference as to evaluating possible causes and treatment and fluid requirements. Is she active and still drinking her formula? Are you still offering some of the block? Please post her weight when it is available! I hope you got some sleep last night Squirrelbaby!
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel[/QUOTE
They are formed by softer than expected. There is no blood or mucus and also no evidence of parasite. She is starting tp get more active (climbing and running around the cage)and she is still drinking her formula. Have the blocks in the cage with her and tried soaking them in her formula but she hasn’t been super interested in them today.

Mel1959
11-21-2021, 09:46 AM
Don’t give up on the block. It takes awhile for them to figure out food comes in solid form, too. :grin3

Squirrelbaby99
11-21-2021, 04:27 PM
I just got the scale and weighed her now and she was 122g. I also just got the diastat and the fox valley formula in the mail so I will start the diastat at her next feeding and then the formula at the feeding after that as it instructs to replace every other feeding with the diastat. Should I be concerned with her weight going down. Maybe she increased so much from the first time I weighed her because I had given her the fluids under the skin.

Mel1959
11-21-2021, 05:13 PM
I think your plan of following the dia-stat is a good one. Stay the course and see how things go. Too many changes isn’t good. Dia-stat has a proven record.

Squirrelbaby99
11-21-2021, 05:35 PM
I think your plan of following the dia-stat is a good one. Stay the course and see how things go. Too many changes isn’t good. Dia-stat has a proven record.

Do you think I should hold off on the new fox valley formula and continue with esbilac?

stepnstone
11-21-2021, 05:39 PM
I just got the scale and weighed her now and she was 122g. I also just got the diastat and the fox valley formula in the mail so I will start the diastat at her next feeding and then the formula at the feeding after that as it instructs to replace every other feeding with the diastat. Should I be concerned with her weight going down. Maybe she increased so much from the first time I weighed her because I had given her the fluids under the skin.
That boost in fluids was a good thing. Three grams is three grams, it's in the right direction.
With dehydration, the body is not getting the nourishment from whats fed/ eaten.
With diarrhea, fluid and nutrients are moving too fast through the gastrointestinal tract for them to be absorbed.
This is what causes the weight loss. Stabilizing hydration, decreasing/ stopping the diarrhea is all going to allow
her body to absorb what is being consumed and she should begin to increase in grams pretty much daily.
You got this...:grouphug

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-21-2021, 06:13 PM

Please don't be concerned about the weight of 122g. This is only a 4g difference from the weight you obtained yesterday. Recognizing trends is more important than the specific numbers in your daily weighting and there has not been enough time or consistency to say that your Squirrel is losing weight. If she is consistently trending down on her weight over the next 2-3 days or even remaining the same over this same period could be a concern. It may be an issue with nutrition or fluids or both, but again, it is too early to identify any worrisome trend! The difference seen today compared with yesterday may be as you said, due to the SubQ fluids. It may also be due to differences in the scales or difference in times of weighing. There really shouldn't be any difference between scales but sometimes there are. You now have your own scales and can use those consistently. It is essential to make certain that the scales are clean before you set the scales to zero. There can be differences in weight if the Squirrel is moving about on the scales during weighing and it may be best to place a small box that will hold your Squirrel on the scales and the set the tare so the scales indicate zero with the box on them. The scales of course must read zero before you weigh your Squirrel so that so you can accurately read her weight directly from the display. Also, weighing should ideally take place first thing each morning before the first feeding has occurred. This will make for consistency and will also let you recalculate the amount of formula to give with each feeding for that particular day. Please post your daily weights. Another thing to keep in mind is obvious but not everyone truly recognizes that your Squirrel can't gain any more weight than you are giving her with food and water and it will be less because there are normal fluid losses and the loss of some of the original food material through the normal digestive functions. Also some of the food that is absorbed from the gut will be converted chemically to products such as water and carbon dioxide that will lost through urination and breathing. We do of course expect that there will be a relatively consistent upward trend in weight with the daily weighings. I really believe that your Squirrel is doing better and as more stabilization occurs in weighing, fluid intake and nutritional support, it all should be for the best! By the way, what is the latest poop report; soft, watery, normal?
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

Squirrelbaby99
11-21-2021, 07:10 PM
Please don't be concerned about the weight of 122g. This is only a 4g difference from the weight you obtained yesterday. Recognizing trends is more important than the specific numbers in your daily weighting and there has not been enough time or consistency to say that your Squirrel is losing weight. If she is consistently trending down on her weight over the next 2-3 days or even remaining the same over this same period could be a concern. It may be an issue with nutrition or fluids or both, but again, it is too early to identify any worrisome trend! The difference seen today compared with yesterday may be as you said, due to the SubQ fluids. It may also be due to differences in the scales or difference in times of weighing. There really shouldn't be any difference between scales but sometimes there are. You now have your own scales and can use those consistently. It is essential to make certain that the scales are clean before you set the scales to zero. There can be differences in weight if the Squirrel is moving about on the scales during weighing and it may be best to place a small box that will hold your Squirrel on the scales and the set the tare so the scales indicate zero with the box on them. The scales of course must read zero before you weigh your Squirrel so that so you can accurately read her weight directly from the display. Also, weighing should ideally take place first thing each morning before the first feeding has occurred. This will make for consistency and will also let you recalculate the amount of formula to give with each feeding for that particular day. Please post your daily weights. Another thing to keep in mind is obvious but not everyone truly recognizes that your Squirrel can't gain any more weight than you are giving her with food and water and it will be less because there are normal fluid losses and the loss of some of the original food material through the normal digestive functions. Also some of the food that is absorbed from the gut will be converted chemically to products such as water and carbon dioxide that will lost through urination and breathing. We do of course expect that there will be a relatively consistent upward trend in weight with the daily weighings. I really believe that your Squirrel is doing better and as more stabilization occurs in weighing, fluid intake and nutritional support, it all should be for the best! By the way, what is the latest poop report; soft, watery, normal?
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel
Her stool is not watery which is really great. It hasn’t been watery it has just been quite soft. I feel like it is gradually getting more formed and solid. It is still mushy and she often smears it on the wee wee pad after she poops when she walks. I started the dia stat at 6 pm so hopefully I will see further improvement.

Squirrelbaby99
11-21-2021, 09:51 PM
Her stool is not watery which is really great. It hasn’t been watery it has just been quite soft. I feel like it is gradually getting more formed and solid. It is still mushy and she often smears it on the wee wee pad after she poops when she walks. I started the dia stat at 6 pm so hopefully I will see further improvement.

We have formed stool!!!!!

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-22-2021, 01:14 AM
We have formed stool!!!!!

Great! Please post your Squirrel's morning weight when available.

Squirrelbaby99
11-22-2021, 08:06 AM
Great! Please post your Squirrel's morning weight when available.

She was 126.6 g.

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-22-2021, 08:21 AM
She was 126.6 g.

That is wonderful! Keep up the great work Squirrelbaby and please post updates with condition reports and any new problems, weights, and PR's (poop reports)!
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

Squirrelbaby99
11-23-2021, 09:12 AM
She went back down to 123g today

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-23-2021, 10:42 AM
She went back down to 123g today

That's ok for now! Your little Squirrel is becoming quite active as seen in her video which is a good sign in itself but the activity also burns calories. One decrease in weight does not establish a trend. Hopefully her stool is still formed and not watery and that she is making urine and continuing to eat her formula. Have changed to Fox Valley 20/50 yet?
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

Squirrelbaby99
11-23-2021, 11:05 AM
That's ok for now! Your little Squirrel is becoming quite active as seen in her video which is a good sign in itself but the activity also burns calories. One decrease in weight does not establish a trend. Hopefully her stool is still formed and not watery and that she is making urine and continuing to eat her formula. Have changed to Fox Valley 20/50 yet?
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

Her stool has been completely formed and normal. I started the fox valley 20/50 when I started the dia stat. I was thinking that since her stool is formed that I would stop replacing every other feeding with the dia stat and just stick to the formula. Her urine output has been consistent and normal. She is continuing to eat very well. At her overnight feeding she only had 7mls which was a bit strange since she normally wants more than the 8 mls that I give her. The 7 mls is still in the correct range but it was strange that she didn’t want to keep eating. She did go back to normal at her first feeding this morning and she ate the full 8mls.

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-23-2021, 11:20 AM
Her stool has been completely formed and normal. I started the fox valley 20/50 when I started the dia stat. I was thinking that since her stool is formed that I would stop replacing every other feeding with the dia stat and just stick to the formula. Her urine output has been consistent and normal. She is continuing to eat very well. At her overnight feeding she only had 7mls which was a bit strange since she normally wants more than the 8 mls that I give her. The 7 mls is still in the correct range but it was strange that she didn’t want to keep eating. She did go back to normal at her first feeding this morning and she ate the full 8mls.

Yes, transitioning away from the Diastat is a reasonable plan and just continue to monitor for changes in stool, urine output, appetite and activity level. In reality, these parameters should be monitored with every baby anyway.
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

Squirrelbaby99
11-24-2021, 05:55 AM
Baby was 133 g this morning which is great but she seems a little bloated to me and she was less active yesterday than the day before. She still is producing formed stool and urine. She only at 6 mls this morning at Her first feeding. 320446

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-24-2021, 07:12 AM
Baby was 133 g this morning which is great but she seems a little bloated to me and she was less active yesterday than the day before. She still is producing formed stool and urine. She only at 6 mls this morning at Her first feeding.

That is a gain of 10 grams from yesterday morning! If this is accurate, most likely the weight is formula that is still in her stomach and the stomach has somewhat slowed down its emptying rate. Is it possible that there was some inconsistency in how she was weighed that might account for this. I know she had a feeding this morning of 6ml but why not check her weight again now just to have another reading. 6ml should be close to 6g additional weight. Also, with the possibility of today's weight being accurate, it may be that the prior weight had an unrecognized variable (or even both weights). The good things of course are that your Squirrel is still having normal stool and making urine. You pointed out and the photo also seems to suggest that she has some abdominal fullness: is her abdomen hard or does the skin feel taught; does it seem that you cause pain or discomfort when you press on her belly? Are you providing a night feeding? If so, I would recommend discontinuing that. Based upon your baby's weight and presumed age (probably a little of 5 weeks), a night feeding is not necessary. You can safely hold off feeding for around 7 hours (give or take a little) at night and probably should. That way, you will get some sleep and your Squirrel's stomach will have time to fully empty before the first feeding of the day. I would still recommend feeding 4 times each day and divide this into your awake time and for today, at least, maybe use the 6ml she took this morning as your target for the rest of today's feedings. This is within the 5-7% of both weights (yesterdays and today's). Thanks and please keep on providing the updates! Thanks also for your concern and care of your little Squirrel.
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

Squirrelbaby99
11-24-2021, 08:11 AM
That is a gain of 10 grams from yesterday morning! If this is accurate, most likely the weight is formula that is still in her stomach and the stomach has somewhat slowed down its emptying rate. Is it possible that there was some inconsistency in how she was weighed that might account for this. I know she had a feeding this morning of 6ml but why not check her weight again now just to have another reading. 6ml should be close to 6g additional weight. Also, with the possibility of today's weight being accurate, it may be that the prior weight had an unrecognized variable (or even both weights). The good things of course are that your Squirrel is still having normal stool and making urine. You pointed out and the photo also seems to suggest that she has some abdominal fullness: is her abdomen hard or does the skin feel taught; does it seem that you cause pain or discomfort when you press on her belly? Are you providing a night feeding? If so, I would recommend discontinuing that. Based upon your baby's weight and presumed age (probably a little of 5 weeks), a night feeding is not necessary. You can safely hold off feeding for around 7 hours (give or take a little) at night and probably should. That way, you will get some sleep and your Squirrel's stomach will have time to fully empty before the first feeding of the day. I would still recommend feeding 4 times each day and divide this into your awake time and for today, at least, maybe use the 6ml she took this morning as your target for the rest of today's feedings. This is within the 5-7% of both weights (yesterdays and today's). Thanks and please keep on providing the updates! Thanks also for your concern and care of your little Squirrel.
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

Her stomach does feel like it has pressure. She doesn’t like it when I press on it but it’s not rock solid. I have been feeding her once overnight so I will stop that feeding. When I weighed her on a different scale at work right now she was 135g. She was very squirmy when I weighed her yesterday so it was hard to get an accurate weight but it was definitely lower than today. What should I do now to deal with the bloat ?

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-24-2021, 08:31 AM
Her stomach does feel like it has pressure. She doesn’t like it when I press on it but it’s not rock solid. I have been feeding her once overnight so I will stop that feeding. When I weighed her on a different scale at work right now she was 135g. She was very squirmy when I weighed her yesterday so it was hard to get an accurate weight but it was definitely lower than today. What should I do now to deal with the bloat ?

This appears to be mild bloating. Henry's has some very good recommendations for common Squirrel problems among those is bloat. It would be worth going there to look over all of the information but specifically now for bloat: https://www.henryspets.com/5-common-problems/

Bloat, to some degree is common and usually associated with overfeeding, to frequent feeding or intolerance of formula. I suspect the first 2 being most likely. My recommendation would be to limit the amount of formula for now to the low end (around 5% of accurate morning weight) and limit feedings to 4 times per day and no nighttime feeding; the first feeding after you weigh your Squirrel in the morning and the last before you go to sleep and spread out the other 2 feeding evenly between the first and last. There are a couple of suggestions that Henry's has on the "bloat" section and I have used both in the past with great success but it must be in conjunction with close management of the feeding times, amounts of formula per feeding, and the type of formula. By the way, Fox Valley 20/50 has not been associated by itself and as bloat provoking. It is usually tolerated very well!
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

Squirrelbaby99
11-24-2021, 09:36 AM
This appears to be mild bloating. Henry's has some very good recommendations for common Squirrel problems among those is bloat. It would be worth going there to look over all of the information but specifically now for bloat: https://www.henryspets.com/5-common-problems/

Bloat, to some degree is common and usually associated with overfeeding, to frequent feeding or intolerance of formula. I suspect the first 2 being most likely. My recommendation would be to limit the amount of formula for now to the low end (around 5% of accurate morning weight) and limit feedings to 4 times per day and no nighttime feeding; the first feeding after you weigh your Squirrel in the morning and the last before you go to sleep and spread out the other 2 feeding evenly between the first and last. There are a couple of suggestions that Henry's has on the "bloat" section and I have used both in the past with great success but it must be in conjunction with close management of the feeding times, amounts of formula per feeding, and the type of formula. By the way, Fox Valley 20/50 has not been associated by itself and as bloat provoking. It is usually tolerated very well!
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel
Should I hold off on her next feeding. I would normally feed her at 11 because that’s 5 hours from the first feeding. Should I wait until 4 pm to feed her again?

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-24-2021, 10:59 AM
Should I hold off on her next feeding. I would normally feed her at 11 because that’s 5 hours from the first feeding. Should I wait until 4 pm to feed her again?

I would not skip a feeding because we do NOT want to run any risk of your Squirrel becoming dehydrated. You can use some plain water in place of some of the formula if she will drink plain water and keep the intake limited to 6ml just for this next feeding. Let's reassess
her status before the feeding after this next feeding. Is she still appearing full? I will unable to access the internet for the next 2-3 hours as I am at work will busy with a couple of "issues. "
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

Squirrelbaby99
11-24-2021, 12:34 PM
I would not skip a feeding because we do NOT want to run any risk of your Squirrel becoming dehydrated. You can use some plain water in place of some of the formula if she will drink plain water and keep the intake limited to 6ml just for this next feeding. Let's reassess
her status before the feeding after this next feeding. Is she still appearing full? I will unable to access the internet for the next 2-3 hours as I am at work will busy with a couple of "issues. "
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

I fed her a small amount of water mixed with a little bit of formula because she would not take just the plain water. She pooped a few small pellets but her belly is still quite full.

Squirrelbaby99
11-24-2021, 12:55 PM
I fed her a small amount of water mixed with a little bit of formula because she would not take just the plain water. She pooped a few small pellets but her belly is still quite full.

I just gave her a few drops of the liquid infant gas x. Hopefully that should help a bit.

stepnstone
11-24-2021, 01:34 PM

I just gave her a few drops of the liquid infant gas x. Hopefully that should help a bit.Trust your instincts. :great

https://henryspets.com/5-common-problems/
Bloating. Can occur when a baby squirrel eats too much and/or too often, or from formula intolerance. The stomach should be rounded after feeding, but still soft, like a half-filled water balloon. It should deflate before the next feeding. If stomach feels hard or does not deflate, skip a feeding, hydrate, and decrease the amount of formula at each feeding or increase the amount of time between feedings. Stimulate to potty. Dipping the baby in warm water up to his armpits and gentle massage can also help. A few drops of Gas-X also helps.

The warm water soak has solved the problem with many also.

Squirrelbaby99
11-24-2021, 02:07 PM
Trust your instincts. :great

https://henryspets.com/5-common-problems/
Bloating. Can occur when a baby squirrel eats too much and/or too often, or from formula intolerance. The stomach should be rounded after feeding, but still soft, like a half-filled water balloon. It should deflate before the next feeding. If stomach feels hard or does not deflate, skip a feeding, hydrate, and decrease the amount of formula at each feeding or increase the amount of time between feedings. Stimulate to potty. Dipping the baby in warm water up to his armpits and gentle massage can also help. A few drops of Gas-X also helps.

The warm water soak has solved the problem with many also.

I think her stool also seems quite hard so maybe she is constipated. I gave her a few drops of lactulose to see if that could help move things along.

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-24-2021, 05:12 PM
How is your Squirrel doing? Were you able to utilize the recommendations from Henry's with any improvement or success?
SamtheSquirrel

Squirrelbaby99
11-24-2021, 05:50 PM
How is your Squirrel doing? Were you able to utilize the recommendations from Henry's with any improvement or success?
SamtheSquirrel

I haven’t seen much improvement but she seems ok. I tried the gas x at around 1:30. I also gave her some lactulose. She poops a small amount when I stimulate her ( she does pee and poop on her own though). I tried soaking her in warm water and massaging her belly but haven’t seen a change. I fed her around 5pm and gave her water mixed with a little bit of formula. She had 5mls. The color of her poop has changed from the dark brown color to a light almost pale green color and the pellets seem pretty solid. She gives like 3 small pellets at a time. Should I give more lactulose. 320451

Squirrelbaby99
11-24-2021, 06:20 PM
I have stimulated her twice in the past hour and she has produced 6 of the small pellets. That seems like more than her normal amount so I am hoping that this whole things was just constipation caused by switching to formula at every feeding as opposed to the diastat at every other feeding.

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-24-2021, 07:36 PM
I have stimulated her twice in the past hour and she has produced 6 of the small pellets. That seems like more than her normal amount so I am hoping that this whole things was just constipation caused by switching to formula at every feeding as opposed to the diastat at every other feeding.

That's encouraging! I have never used lactulose for Squirrels. I know that this has been used for pet rats for constipation but this seems to be more bloating than constipation. Others here may have had experience with lactulose and can comment on its use with Squirrels. Does your Squirrel's abdomen still seem swollen or has it returned to normal? If still swollen, is it still soft or is has the skin become tight? Is she still urinating normally. Please verify that you are have been using Fox Valley 20/50 and that it has been mixed 1 part powder to 2 parts warm water. If the abdomen is still bloated it is probably best to hold off on the next feeding of formula but give maybe 2 ml of water instead. Again, as Henry's points out on their website, it is essential that your baby remains hydrated. The best "routine" hydrating fluid is plain water. It can be warmed and this may be more acceptable to your Squirrel and can be offered in small amounts to maintain hydration. You were going to eliminate the nighttime feeding anyway and this will give some hydration through the night but just not the formula. Also, if there is still bloating, I would recommend continuing to soak the baby as Henry's suggests up to her armpits and gently (you should apply only very minimal pressure) massage her belly and do this every 30-60 minutes or so for about 5 minutes at a time through the night and reassess the degree of bloat before and after each "session." If the bloating is now gone and you are going to regular resume feedings, I would recommend using only plain water or very, very dilute formula for the next scheduled feeding.
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

Squirrelbaby99
11-24-2021, 08:14 PM
That's encouraging! I have never used lactulose for Squirrels. I know that this has been used for pet rats for constipation but this seems to be more bloating than constipation. Others here may have had experience with lactulose and can comment on its use with Squirrels. Does your Squirrel's abdomen still seem swollen or has it returned to normal? If still swollen, is it still soft or is has the skin become tight? Is she still urinating normally. Please verify that you are have been using Fox Valley 20/50 and that it has been mixed 1 part powder to 2 parts warm water. If the abdomen is still bloated it is probably best to hold off on the next feeding of formula but give maybe 2 ml of water instead. Again, as Henry's points out on their website, it is essential that your baby remains hydrated. The best "routine" hydrating fluid is plain water. It can be warmed and this may be more acceptable to your Squirrel and can be offered in small amounts to maintain hydration. You were going to eliminate the nighttime feeding anyway and this will give some hydration through the night but just not the formula. Also, if there is still bloating, I would recommend continuing to soak the baby as Henry's suggests up to her armpits and gently (you should apply only very minimal pressure) massage her belly and do this every 30-60 minutes or so for about 5 minutes at a time through the night and reassess the degree of bloat before and after each "session." If the bloating is now gone and you are going to regular resume feedings, I would recommend using only plain water or very, very dilute formula for the next scheduled feeding.
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel
I am feeding the fox valley 20/50 formula and am mixing one part formula with two parts water. The only reason I am thinking she is constipated is because I can feel the poop pellets when I very lightly palpate her abdomen and I can feel a lot of poop.

Squirrelbaby99
11-24-2021, 08:31 PM
I am feeding the fox valley 20/50 formula and am mixing one part formula with two parts water. The only reason I am thinking she is constipated is because I can feel the poop pellets when I very lightly palpate her abdomen and I can feel a lot of poop.

I have tried soaking her in warm water but she does not like it and will not stay in the water for longer than 5 seconds. I will continue to stimulate her every hour or so and see if I can get more poop out. She is very well hydrated and in general seems ok besides being less active. Her belly still seems swollen but soft like a water balloon. She is still urinating normally.

Spanky
11-24-2021, 08:48 PM
The formula ideally is mixed up hours before using it... overnight is what I try to do. This allows it to more thoroughly dissolve and helps make it more easily digestible. While this is more important with younger squirrels, it is still a good idea to mix it well ahead of using it. Also, never reuse formula that was warmed for feeding... only warm what will be fed and discard any formula that was warmed but not used. The mixed formula should be stored in the fridge and the powder should be stored in the freezer after opening.

I have used lactulose with success for constipation.

Fox valley poop will be a golden / mustard color. The most recent poop pictures *almost* look whitish, but that could be the picture. Just be aware that a white / whitish poop indicates over feeding or too frequent of feeding.

I am glad you used the Dia-Stat, I having been preaching it's value for some years now. Ever since it help to save what I call the Diastat Dynasty (I am including the link) which were a 4-some of emaciated, terribly sick babies... one of the greatest successes of my rehabbing...

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?59761-Diastat-Dynasty-TSB-Prayers-Answered!&highlight=Dia-Stat

You are doing terrific in helping this baby, thank you!

Squirrelbaby99
11-24-2021, 08:56 PM
The formula ideally is mixed up hours before using it... overnight is what I try to do. This allows it to more thoroughly dissolve and helps make it more easily digestible. While this is more important with younger squirrels, it is still a good idea to mix it well ahead of using it. Also, never reuse formula that was warmed for feeding... only warm what will be fed and discard any formula that was warmed but not used. The mixed formula should be stored in the fridge and the powder should be stored in the freezer after opening.

I have used lactulose with success for constipation.

Fox valley poop will be a golden / mustard color. The most recent poop pictures *almost* look whitish, but that could be the picture. Just be aware that a white / whitish poop indicates over feeding or too frequent of feeding.

I am glad you used the Dia-Stat, I having been preaching it's value for some years now. Ever since it help to save what I call the Diastat Dynasty (I am including the link) which were a 4-some of emaciated, terribly sick babies... one of the greatest successes of my rehabbing...

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?59761-Diastat-Dynasty-TSB-Prayers-Answered!&highlight=Dia-Stat

You are doing terrific in helping this baby, thank you!

I usually make the formula the night before and keep it in the fridge for the next feeding. I was feeding her once overnight so maybe that is why she is a bit bloated because she was getting too much food. I haven’t fed her formula since 6 am this morning. I have been giving her mostly water with a small amount of formula mixed in a syringe every 5 hours to keep her hydrated. She is able to get the poop out when I stimulate her but I haven’t seen her poop on her own in a few hours. I really am trying my best to take care of this baby. I had a hard experience with the first squirrel I cared for so I am extra scared about everything with this one. I also wanted to let everyone know that baby got a name today. Baby girl is now “peaches”. Thank you so much to everyone for all of the advice and encouragement.

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-24-2021, 09:29 PM
I usually make the formula the night before and keep it in the fridge for the next feeding. I was feeding her once overnight so maybe that is why she is a bit bloated because she was getting too much food. I haven’t fed her formula since 6 am this morning. I have been giving her mostly water with a small amount of formula mixed in a syringe every 5 hours to keep her hydrated. She is able to get the poop out when I stimulate her but I haven’t seen her poop on her own in a few hours. I really am trying my best to take care of this baby. I had a hard experience with the first squirrel I cared for so I am extra scared about everything with this one. I also wanted to let everyone know that baby got a name today. Baby girl is now “peaches”. Thank you so much to everyone for all of the advice and encouragement.

You are doing very well with your care of Peaches. You have given her a very nice name! The fact that Peaches is urinating normally is a good sign as Squirrels and other land mammals will decrease urine output to conserve water and normal urination is pretty good evidence of adequate hydration! Good job! Especially since the massage-stimulation seems to be effective I would recommend continuing that at least through the night and reassess her condition regularly and in the morning when you weigh her. Please keep on with the updates! Thanks so much for your superb care of little Peaches! Happy Thanksgiving to you SquirrelBaby, your family, and of course Miss Peaches!
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

Squirrelbaby99
11-24-2021, 11:00 PM
You are doing very well with your care of Peaches. You have given her a very nice name! The fact that Peaches is urinating normally is a good sign as Squirrels and other land mammals will decrease urine output to conserve water and normal urination is pretty good evidence of adequate hydration! Good job! Especially since the massage-stimulation seems to be effective I would recommend continuing that at least through the night and reassess her condition regularly and in the morning when you weigh her. Please keep on with the updates! Thanks so much for your superb care of little Peaches! Happy Thanksgiving to you SquirrelBaby, your family, and of course Miss Peaches!
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel
Now that she is not getting formula, she is interested in the rodent blocks. Is it ok for her to eat some of that now or should I take out all food?

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-25-2021, 12:02 AM
Now that she is not getting formula, she is interested in the rodent blocks. Is it ok for her to eat some of that now or should I take out all food?

At least for tonight, it may be best to remove the blocks if it looks like Peaches is really going to eat a significant amount. When a baby just gets started with blocks they usually just play with them and may not really eat but a little bit if any. That would probably be ok but otherwise, probably resting Peaches gut except for some water to keep her hydrated would be best while the bloating is resolving. Hopefully that will occur in the next few hours! How is her belly doing and what's the poop report?
SamtheSquirrel

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-25-2021, 08:13 AM
How is Peaches doing this morning?
SamtheSquirrel

Squirrelbaby99
11-25-2021, 08:42 AM
Peaches was 129.6g today which means we are getting somewhere with getting all the poop out. I just fed her about 3mls of water mixed with a small amount of formula. Her hydration continues to be good and she is still urinating Well.

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-25-2021, 08:49 AM
Peaches was 129.6g today which means we are getting somewhere with getting all the poop out. I just fed her about 3mls of water mixed with a small amount of formula. Her hydration continues to be good and she is still urinating Well.

That is great! How is her belly?
SamtheSquirrel

Squirrelbaby99
11-25-2021, 10:55 AM
That is great! How is her belly?
SamtheSquirrel

I do feel like it is going down a small amount. I just stimulated her again and got out 4 of the small green/white pellets again. I do feel like they are too hard for her to pass on her own and it is uncomfortable for her. She continues to be well hydrated and we are working our way to get the poop out. She doesn’t love me stimulating her to get the poop but I think she is starting to feel some relief because she is being much more active.

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-25-2021, 12:27 PM
I do feel like it is going down a small amount. I just stimulated her again and got out 4 of the small green/white pellets again. I do feel like they are too hard for her to pass on her own and it is uncomfortable for her. She continues to be well hydrated and we are working our way to get the poop out. She doesn’t love me stimulating her to get the poop but I think she is starting to feel some relief because she is being much more active.

Very good progress! It sounds as like you have the situation well in control and know what needs to be done and also what to watch for! Please keep on with the updates and please give an evening update from today. I would suggest that when you do decide to go back to formula feedings, that do not transition back to full strength formula abruptly and give what is mostly water plus a small amount of formula; maybe 1 part formula to 4 parts water at first and over a period that encompasses 4-6 feeding finally return to full formula. If it appears that she cannot tolerate this at any time you can go back to water or a less concentrated mix of formula plus water and give Peaches some more time.
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

Squirrelbaby99
11-25-2021, 08:08 PM
Very good progress! It sounds as like you have the situation well in control and know what needs to be done and also what to watch for! Please keep on with the updates and please give an evening update from today. I would suggest that when you do decide to go back to formula feedings, that do not transition back to full strength formula abruptly and give what is mostly water plus a small amount of formula; maybe 1 part formula to 4 parts water at first and over a period that encompasses 4-6 feeding finally return to full formula. If it appears that she cannot tolerate this at any time you can go back to water or a less concentrated mix of formula plus water and give Peaches some more time.
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel
I think I am going to start giving her some more diluted formula tonight (1 part formula to 4 parts water as suggested). I won’t do a feeding overnight and will see how she is in the morning. She seems very hungry and is very interested in the rodent blocks(not sure if she is actually eating them because I just see lots of it broken up all over the cage). Her energy level is definitely back up and her hydration continues to be good. I still can feel a small amount of stool in her belly but she really doesn’t like me stimulating her anymore to go to the bathroom and I don’t want to continue to stress her out so hopefully she can get the last bits out herself.

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-25-2021, 09:27 PM
I think I am going to start giving her some more diluted formula tonight (1 part formula to 4 parts water as suggested). I won’t do a feeding overnight and will see how she is in the morning. She seems very hungry and is very interested in the rodent blocks(not sure if she is actually eating them because I just see lots of it broken up all over the cage). Her energy level is definitely back up and her hydration continues to be good. I still can feel a small amount of stool in her belly but she really doesn’t like me stimulating her anymore to go to the bathroom and I don’t want to continue to stress her out so hopefully she can get the last bits out herself.

Your plan sounds quite appropriate. The facts that Peaches is active, urinating normally and at least biting at the blocks are all really good signs. As has been mentioned, blocks should be the first solid food a baby is offered and they should be accustomed to eating them before any other solid food should be considered. Also, the instructions for mixing the Fox Valley the night before that Spanky mentioned (and I neglected to mention-sorry!) are very important!

From Spanky: "The formula ideally is mixed up hours before using it... overnight is what I try to do. This allows it to more thoroughly dissolve and helps make it more easily digestible. While this is more important with younger squirrels, it is still a good idea to mix it well ahead of using it. Also, never reuse formula that was warmed for feeding... only warm what will be fed and discard any formula that was warmed but not used. The mixed formula should be stored in the fridge and the powder should be stored in the freezer after opening"

While the FV appears to mix very well immediately after adding the water, it actually takes several hours for the powder it to get fully dissolved and mixing it the night before with very warm water and then stirring it again in the morning will help ensure that the powder is fully dissolved. The reason for this recommendation (and for some reason, it is not mentioned on the FV website that I have found) is that the presence of any of powder that is not fully dissolved in the water can in a real sense harden to some extent in the stomach and lead to bloating. When initially mixing the FV powder, using very warm water will help the powder to dissolve.

The essentials of mixing, warming, and feeding formula to baby Squirrels has been summarized on the Henrys website and these recommendations are followed by most everyone taking care of baby Squirrels. I have paraphrased this very slightly for clarity:
Mixing, Feeding and Storing Formula
1) When using a powdered formula; ideally, each night you would mix up the amount of formula you will need for the next day. With powdered formula, use very warm water, stir well. Place in the refrigerator.
2) In the morning, stir the formula and draw up enough of the cold formula into a syringe for your first feeding of the day.
3) Microwave a coffee mug of water until it is hot (but not boiling). Then dunk the filled syringe in the hot water. They will take around 30 to 60 seconds to heat up.
4) Take out the syringe and rock it gently a couple of times to again mix the formula and to equalize the temperature within the syringe, and then test it on your wrist for proper temperature before feeding. The temperature should feel definitely warm but not hot.
If the formula in your syringe gets too cool while feeding, re-dunk it in the hot water and then repeat Step 4.

Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

Squirrelbaby99
11-26-2021, 05:49 AM
Peaches was 126.5 g this morning. Last night I fed her 6mls of the diluted formula. I will feed her 6 mls of the diluted formula again this morning and continue to see how she is doing. Her stomach does seem smaller.

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-26-2021, 08:29 AM
Peaches was 126.5 g this morning. Last night I fed her 6mls of the diluted formula. I will feed her 6 mls of the diluted formula again this morning and continue to see how she is doing. Her stomach does seem smaller.

Since Peaches is tolerating her diluted formula well and all else seems to be good, it is a reasonable plan to steadily increase the concentration of formula to extra water with each feeding today and monitor her urine output, her abdomen, her activity level, and her stooling on a regular basis and if all continues to look good, hopefully you can reach the goal of getting Peaches back to the full concentration for Standard Formula (1 part powder to 2 parts water) by the first or at the very latest, the second feeding tomorrow.

Also please continue to mix the powder and water using very warm water, mix thoroughly and then wait 5 or 6 hours to allow time for the powder to further dissolve in the water and then stir again before giving it to Peaches. It should be stored in the refrigerator.

Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

Squirrelbaby99
11-26-2021, 11:22 AM
Since Peaches is tolerating her diluted formula well and all else seems to be good, it is a reasonable plan to steadily increase the concentration of formula to extra water with each feeding today and monitor her urine output, her abdomen, her activity level, and her stooling on a regular basis and if all continues to look good, hopefully you can reach the goal of getting Peaches back to the full concentration for Standard Formula (1 part powder to 2 parts water) by the first or at the very latest, the second feeding tomorrow.

Also please continue to mix the powder and water using very warm water, mix thoroughly and then wait 5 or 6 hours to allow time for the powder to further dissolve in the water and then stir again before giving it to Peaches. It should be stored in the refrigerator.

Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-26-2021, 01:23 PM
Can't tell the size but the stool's appearance seems normal!

Squirrelbaby99
11-26-2021, 10:06 PM
Can't tell the size but the stool's appearance seems normal!

Her poop is definitely smaller in size especially in terms of the width of the poop which I think is making it easier for her to pass on her own. I have continued to stimulate her to help her get the poop out but I think I should probably stop doing that at this point because she cries when I do it (don't know if she just doesn't want me to do it or maybe it's irritated). Either way, i hate hearing her cry. I am just worried she will get constipated again but I guess the only way to see if it will happen is to just let her try on her own and see if she can poop normally. I accidentally forgot to bring her formula with me this morning when I had to go in for work so she went longer than she probably should have between her first and second feeding, but I did bring the rodent blocks with me. I gave her morning feeding at around 7 and then didn't get home until 3 (mom guilt is real). I fed her again at 7:30 and was going to do one last feeding at around 12:30. I didn't want to feed her only three times today, but I did make her third feeding a smaller amount so she wouldn't be so full. I also have continued to give her some lactulose just to help things along. She will be coming back to work with me tomorrow so I will triple check that I have her formula with me this time.

Squirrelbaby99
11-27-2021, 06:01 AM
Peaches was 135g today. I do feel like her belly looks bloated to me and a bit bigger. I was able to get quite a few chunks of poop out when I stimulated her this morning. I think for now I will continue with the diluted formula because I don’t think she’s ready for the full strength formula.

Mel1959
11-27-2021, 08:30 AM
I’m not sure how long you’ve been giving her diluted formula, but it seems like it’s been several days. I think you need to gradually adjust the formula to full strength and offer sweetened water between feedings. You can also give diluted prune juice or apple juice in place of water.

By diluting her formula you are also diluting the nutrition she’s getting.

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-27-2021, 08:52 AM
Peaches was 135g today. I do feel like her belly looks bloated to me and a bit bigger. I was able to get quite a few chunks of poop out when I stimulated her this morning. I think for now I will continue with the diluted formula because I don’t think she’s ready for the full strength formula.

From Mel: "I’m not sure how long you’ve been giving her diluted formula, but it seems like it’s been several days. I think you need to gradually adjust the formula to full strength and offer sweetened water between feedings. You can also give diluted prune juice or apple juice in place of water. By diluting her formula you are also diluting the nutrition she’s getting."

Thanks Mel! While you were posting I was writing!

Hi SquirrelBaby:
Yes, Peaches may have slower than normal gastric emptying time and still tends to bloat and she may be somewhat constipated as well. All very young baby Squirrels need to be stimulated around their genital regions to urinate and defecate and it may be that Peaches may still need to have this stimulation to some extent although she beyond the age when this would ordinarily be necessary. This is from Henry's website:

"A baby squirrel less than 5 weeks old will need to be stimulated to poop and pee. Use a warm, wet cotton ball, Q-tip, the corner of a Kleenex, or your finger, and flick lightly across the genital area. Some babies may need stimulation before and after feeding. A few may eat better if you potty them in the middle of a feeding."

It does seem that Peaches is more tolerant of the diluted formula and this is an option only for very short-term use. One of the concerns about using diluted formula is that when it is diluted, your Squirrel is not getting the full amount of nutrients and minerals. One of the most important minerals that must be provided is Calcium. A growing Squirrel requires a relatively greater intake of Calcium because this is required for the growing bone structure and also to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). Fox Valley 20/50 Formula does have adequate Calcium and other nutrients and the proper Calcium to phosphorous ratio and is used extensively by Squirrel rehabbers! It is usually an excellent choice of formula!

One other option might be to feed relatively small amounts of Standard Strength formula (around 2 ml) every hour or so (Peaches would get her full quantity of formula this way if done over a period of 12 hours). I have used this method before and gradually was able to transition to regular (in peaches case it would be 4 times a day) feedings with success. Again, there are "giants" in the rehab world here on TSB and hopefully some will have some other suggestions. There is a medication that is sometimes used for rodents (and other animals and humans also) called metaclopramide that tends to increase stomach activity and can help with gastric emptying. I do not have any firsthand experience with this medication with animal care so I am not recommending this but others with more experience may be able to comment on this and make other suggestions.

I would also recommend that you not be tempted to return to using Esbilac as Henry's has posted a recent Caution on their website about this particular formula being associated with MBD and "severe" Bloat in Squirrels in the same general age range as Peaches!:

"ESBILAC PROBLEMS (September 2021). We are seeing 5-7 week old babies on Esbilac with MBD (calcium deficiency) and also severe bloat. If using Esbilac, please switch to the Homemade Goat Milk formula (3 tbs goat milk, 3 tbs plain yogurt, 2 tbs heavy cream, 1/2 egg yolk) or Fox Valley formula, as soon as possible. (If you can't find goat milk, double the yogurt.) For more info call 321-626-1897."

Another question I have, especially in light of the facts that you work with a Vet and that your Squirrel was apparently injured and that was what led to her being brought to your office; does your Vet treat Squirrels or at least other rodents and has your Vet examined Peaches?

Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

Squirrelbaby99
11-27-2021, 09:15 AM
From Mel: "I’m not sure how long you’ve been giving her diluted formula, but it seems like it’s been several days. I think you need to gradually adjust the formula to full strength and offer sweetened water between feedings. You can also give diluted prune juice or apple juice in place of water. By diluting her formula you are also diluting the nutrition she’s getting."

Thanks Mel! While you were posting I was writing!

Hi SquirrelBaby:
Yes, Peaches may have slower than normal gastric emptying time and still tends to bloat and she may be somewhat constipated as well. All very young baby Squirrels need to be stimulated around their genital regions to urinate and defecate and it may be that Peaches may still need to have this stimulation to some extent although she beyond the age when this would ordinarily be necessary. This is from Henry's website:

"A baby squirrel less than 5 weeks old will need to be stimulated to poop and pee. Use a warm, wet cotton ball, Q-tip, the corner of a Kleenex, or your finger, and flick lightly across the genital area. Some babies may need stimulation before and after feeding. A few may eat better if you potty them in the middle of a feeding."

It does seem that Peaches is more tolerant of the diluted formula and this is an option only for very short-term use. One of the concerns about using diluted formula is that when it is diluted, your Squirrel is not getting the full amount of nutrients and minerals. One of the most important minerals that must be provided is Calcium. A growing Squirrel requires a relatively greater intake of Calcium because this is required for the growing bone structure and also to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). Fox Valley 20/50 Formula does have adequate Calcium and other nutrients and the proper Calcium to phosphorous ratio and is used extensively by Squirrel rehabbers! It is usually an excellent choice of formula!

One other option might be to feed relatively small amounts of Standard Strength formula (around 2 ml) every hour or so (Peaches would get her full quantity of formula this way if done over a period of 12 hours). I have used this method before and gradually was able to transition to regular (in peaches case it would be 4 times a day) feedings with success. Again, there are "giants" in the rehab world here on TSB and hopefully some will have some other suggestions. There is a medication that is sometimes used for rodents (and other animals and humans also) called metaclopramide that tends to increase stomach activity and can help with gastric emptying. I do not have any firsthand experience with this medication with animal care so I am not recommending this but others with more experience may be able to comment on this and make other suggestions.

I would also recommend that you not be tempted to return to using Esbilac as Henry's has posted a recent Caution on their website about this particular formula being associated with MBD and "severe" Bloat in Squirrels in the same general age range as Peaches!:

"ESBILAC PROBLEMS (September 2021). We are seeing 5-7 week old babies on Esbilac with MBD (calcium deficiency) and also severe bloat. If using Esbilac, please switch to the Homemade Goat Milk formula (3 tbs goat milk, 3 tbs plain yogurt, 2 tbs heavy cream, 1/2 egg yolk) or Fox Valley formula, as soon as possible. (If you can't find goat milk, double the yogurt.) For more info call 321-626-1897."

Another question I have, especially in light of the facts that you work with a Vet and that your Squirrel was apparently injured and that was what led to her being brought to your office; does your Vet treat Squirrels or at least other rodents and has your Vet examined Peaches?

Regards,
SamtheSquirrel
The vets I work with do not treat exocitc animals. I did have one of the vets listen to her heart and lungs which sounded fine but other than that she has not been seen by a vet.

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-27-2021, 09:45 AM
The vets I work with do not treat exocitc animals. I did have one of the vets listen to her heart and lungs which sounded fine but other than that she has not been seen by a vet.

Thanks! My previous post was not exactly clear and I was trying to use the 2ml every hour as an example but in reality, if you did exactly that you would still have 12 hours without fluid intake and this would NOT be good. Please divide your small feedings up over a period of 17-18 hours during the daytime to give a total of your calculated intake (based upon the previous soft tummy weight of 126 grams and at 5% that would be a total daily intake of 26ml if you rounded up) and then back to no nighttime feedings for 6-7 hours at the most. Yes, it's definitely more involved but it may help allow emptying of the stomach between feedings. Are you also having a hanging water bottle available?
SamtheSquirrel

Squirrelbaby99
11-27-2021, 09:58 AM
Thanks! My previous post was not exactly clear and I was trying to use the 2ml every hour as an example but in reality, if you did exactly that you would still have 12 hours without fluid intake and this would NOT be good. Please divide your small feedings up over a period of 17-18 hours during the daytime to give a total of your calculated intake (based upon the previous soft tummy weight of 126 grams and at 5% that would be a total daily intake of 26ml if you rounded up) and then back to no nighttime feedings for 6-7 hours at the most. Yes, it's definitely more involved but it may help allow emptying of the stomach between feedings. Are you also having a hanging water bottle available?
SamtheSquirrel
I do have a hanging bottle available and I just ordered a larger cage for her that has multiple levels. Do you think I should try and bring her to a vet. She seems fine besides her belly being full. She is pooping on her own. I have continued to give her lactulose which I think is helping her get the poop out. Her poop does seem still like hard little balls but now they are darker in color instead of when they were white/pale green.

Mel1959
11-27-2021, 09:58 AM
I went back and skimmed through this thread. You stated that Peach’s weighed 119gr. on Nov. 19 and today 11/27 she’s 135gr. That’s only a weight gain of 16gr. over 8 days. Most squirrels at this age gain 5-6gr. a day. This could be a failure to thrive baby. You definitely need to get her on full strength formula….she needs the nutrients and the calories. I’d also consider ordering some Fox Valley Ultraboost and mixing it with the Fox Valley formula. It’s recommended to replace 25% of the FV formula with the Ultraboost. The water measurement is the same. I always use Ultraboost and have never had a problem with constipation or diarrhea.

As for StS’s information about Metoclopramide….I just wanted to say that it is perfectly safe to use with rodents. My dwarf squirrel took Metoclopramide and Cisapride two times a day for many years.

Squirrelbaby99
11-27-2021, 11:11 AM
I went back and skimmed through this thread. You stated that Peach’s weighed 119gr. on Nov. 19 and today 11/27 she’s 135gr. That’s only a weight gain of 16gr. over 8 days. Most squirrels at this age gain 5-6gr. a day. This could be a failure to thrive baby. You definitely need to get her on full strength formula….she needs the nutrients and the calories. I’d also consider ordering some Fox Valley Ultraboost and mixing it with the Fox Valley formula. It’s recommended to replace 25% of the FV formula with the Ultraboost. The water measurement is the same. I always use Ultraboost and have never had a problem with constipation or diarrhea.

As for StS’s information about Metoclopramide….I just wanted to say that it is perfectly safe to use with rodents. My dwarf squirrel took Metoclopramide and Cisapride two times a day for many years.

Ok I will switch to full strength formula tonight. I don’t have the full strength formula at work with me. I am concerned that she isn’t gaining weight and she keeps going up and down. She is pooping a lot even when I stimulate her. Her poop does also look very round. Is this normal ?320467

Mel1959
11-27-2021, 12:26 PM
Their poop can be round or oval. Remember you’re not feeding a lot of food because you’ve got her formula so watered down. Everything I hope will change once she is getting adequate nutrition. Her poop is solid so there’s no reason to not feed her the recommended strength formula. You can continue to give her slightly sweetened water IN BETWEEN feedings for hydration and to help prevent constipation.

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-27-2021, 02:39 PM
I do have a hanging bottle available and I just ordered a larger cage for her that has multiple levels. Do you think I should try and bring her to a vet. She seems fine besides her belly being full. She is pooping on her own. I have continued to give her lactulose which I think is helping her get the poop out. Her poop does seem still like hard little balls but now they are darker in color instead of when they were white/pale green.

In regard to a visit with a Vet; with Peaches not tolerating the regular strength formula and repeatedly bloating, I would strongly recommend it. Also, for general medical principles, I truly believe it would be in the best interest of Peaches to be seen by a Vet anyway as soon as possible. Your Vet may know of someone who does see pet rats or other related "exotic" animals or even Squirrels (hopefully) and could then make a direct referral in your behalf which hopefully would result in Peaches getting an appointment right away! Her history is of a fall from a tree and she had blood around her face and had lost a bottom tooth when she came to you initially and there may be other injuries or conditions that are making it difficult for her to process formula and digest it properly and she may have other unrecognized injuries that may be related to her incident or other general health issues that need to be addressed anyway! It is getting quite worrisome that Peaches is not getting full nutritional support and this puts her at risk not just for MBD but for malnutrition in general. She is a young Squirrel and should be eagerly taking in formula and processing it normally and growing daily. Yes, SquirrelBaby, I would recommend an evaluation by a Vet as soon as possible.
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-27-2021, 03:19 PM
I just wanted to let know that I feel you are doing a great job with Peaches, SquirrelBaby! You are very conscientious, caring and loving to this little Squirrel! My concern is not with your care, it strictly related to Peaches health and well being and that is why I recommended a visit with a Vet! You are a wonderful Squirrel Mom!
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

Squirrelbaby99
11-27-2021, 07:14 PM
In regard to a visit with a Vet; with Peaches not tolerating the regular strength formula and repeatedly bloating, I would strongly recommend it. Also, for general medical principles, I truly believe it would be in the best interest of Peaches to be seen by a Vet anyway as soon as possible. Your Vet may know of someone who does see pet rats or other related "exotic" animals or even Squirrels (hopefully) and could then make a direct referral in your behalf which hopefully would result in Peaches getting an appointment right away! Her history is of a fall from a tree and she had blood around her face and had lost a bottom tooth when she came to you initially and there may be other injuries or conditions that are making it difficult for her to process formula and digest it properly and she may have other unrecognized injuries that may be related to her incident or other general health issues that need to be addressed anyway! It is getting quite worrisome that Peaches is not getting full nutritional support and this puts her at risk not just for MBD but for malnutrition in general. She is a young Squirrel and should be eagerly taking in formula and processing it normally and growing daily. Yes, SquirrelBaby, I would recommend an evaluation by a Vet as soon as possible.
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

I called around and left messages for different places seeing if I could get an appointment for peaches. Now I am just waiting to hear back.

stepnstone
11-27-2021, 07:37 PM
Yes this!! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/pointing-down-smiley-emoticon.gif

Their poop can be round or oval. Remember you’re not feeding a lot of food because you’ve got her formula so watered down. Everything I hope will change once she is getting adequate nutrition. Her poop is solid so there’s no reason to not feed her the recommended strength formula. You can continue to give her slightly sweetened water IN BETWEEN feedings for hydration and to help prevent constipation.

I personally don't see where veterinarian intervention would be necessary at this time, she just needs to be on an established course.
Please bear in mind, a squirrel is a wild animal. Unless you are otherwise licensed, you are in an illegal State to have possession of a squirrel.
Unless you have or know a vet that will safely see a (wild) squirrel under the "radar" or know a licensed rehabilatator that will use their license
to get you into a vet, a Veterinarian's license by law requires that the wild animal /squirrel is seized and not returned. Some vets work with
rehabilatators that they are turned over to, or they are euthanized according to their State's requirements. If the squirrel is "compromised"
in any way physical or mental, the majority are automatically euthanized.

Squirrelbaby99
11-27-2021, 08:29 PM
Yes this!! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/pointing-down-smiley-emoticon.gif

I personally don't see where veterinarian intervention would be necessary at this time, she just needs to be on an established course.
Please bear in mind, a squirrel is a wild animal. Unless you are otherwise licensed, you are in an illegal State to have possession of a squirrel.
Unless you have or know a vet that will safely see a (wild) squirrel under the "radar" or know a licensed rehabilatator that will use their license
to get you into a vet, a Veterinarian's license by law requires that the wild animal /squirrel is seized and not returned. Some vets work with
rehabilatators that they are turned over to, or they are euthanized according to their State's requirements. If the squirrel is "compromised"
in any way physical or mental, the majority are automatically euthanized.
Thank you for the information I will keep this in mind. I gave her 6 mls of the full strength formula at 6:30. She is also starting to get the hang of the hanging water bottle. If I lead her to the bottle she will happily drink from it. I will give her another 6 ml feeding at 12:30 and then will check her weight and bloat status tomorrow morning. At that point I will have to weigh my options and do what is best for peaches in terms of finding someone to see her.

Squirrelbaby99
11-27-2021, 09:17 PM
Thank you for the information I will keep this in mind. I gave her 6 mls of the full strength formula at 6:30. She is also starting to get the hang of the hanging water bottle. If I lead her to the bottle she will happily drink from it. I will give her another 6 ml feeding at 12:30 and then will check her weight and bloat status tomorrow morning. At that point I will have to weigh my options and do what is best for peaches in terms of finding someone to see her.

Can anyone help me get I touch with any rehabbers in Nj or does anyone know any rehabbers in the Nj area that might be willing to help me?

Mel1959
11-28-2021, 07:38 AM
Can anyone help me get I touch with any rehabbers in Nj or does anyone know any rehabbers in the Nj area that might be willing to help me?

Can you explain why you are trying to find a NJ rehabber? Is it to seek medical help under their license? Or is it to hand over Peaches?

I agree with Step. I’m not sure that medical intervention is necessary. Unless there’s something else going on with her that you haven’t shared.

Failure to thrive babies just need more attention and time. If she is pooping ok and can tolerate full strength formula I think everything else will fall into place. What you want to see is a steady weight gain and normal stool.

For the occasional bloat you can treat with infant gas x.

island rehabber
11-28-2021, 07:59 AM

I have PM'd Squirrelbaby99 the name of a very experienced NJ rehabber. She should be a good source of advice, info, and vet care if necessary for little Peaches.

Squirrelbaby99
11-28-2021, 09:02 AM
I have PM'd Squirrelbaby99 the name of a very experienced NJ rehabber. She should be a good source of advice, info, and vet care if necessary for little Peaches.

Peaches was 138g today and I don’t feel like her belly was very bloated before her feeding. She got 7mls of full strength formula and pooped and peed on her own this morning. I was looking for information about rehabbers in Nj just in case I needed some help. I don’t want to turn over peaches to a rehabber so if I needed to take her to the vet I was hoping they could help me, but if need be I would give her to a rehabber if that was what is best for her.

SamtheSquirrel2018
11-28-2021, 09:13 AM
Peaches was 138g today and I don’t feel like her belly was very bloated before her feeding. She got 7mls of full strength formula and pooped and peed on her own this morning. I was looking for information about rehabbers in Nj just in case I needed some help. I don’t want to turn over peaches to a rehabber so if I needed to take her to the vet I was hoping they could help me, but if need be I would give her to a rehabber if that was what is best for her.

That is very good news SquirrelBaby! Great job Little Peaches!
SamtheSquirrel

Mel1959
11-28-2021, 12:39 PM

Awesome! :great I hope her weight gain continues. It would be wise to weigh her every morning, either before urinating or after. You might already be doing this. With a new weight each morning you can adjust the amount per feeding accordingly. You are currently feeding at the 5% amount…which is fine…just be aware that as she grows and continues to stabilize she will probably want closer to 7% and maybe even more. Any increases should be done gradually so it doesn’t cause diarrhea.

Good job!

Squirrelbaby99
11-28-2021, 09:24 PM
Unfortunately, my roommate is not comfortable with me keeping Peaches until the spring to release her so its looks like I will need to find a rehabber to take her. I am devastated and will miss her dearly. Hopefully, I will find someone who will take great care of her and show her as much love as I have shown her.

Mel1959
11-28-2021, 09:32 PM
I’m sorry to hear that. I believe you were given the name of a NJ rehabber. Please reach out to that person for help, as it is a trusted source.

Squirrelbaby99
11-28-2021, 09:38 PM
I’m sorry to hear that. I believe you were given the name of a NJ rehabber. Please reach out to that person for help, as it is a trusted source.

I have already left a message with the person recommended to me.

island rehabber
12-03-2021, 07:52 AM
kcassidy is willing to take this little one, as she has a few of her own the same age that she is overwintering. Please contact me mmandrano @ gmail.com for details -- kim will take good care of your squirrel!

Mel1959
12-07-2021, 02:12 PM
How’s your baby doing? I see in the previous post someone is willing to take your baby and over winter it. Are you going to reach out to this person or have you already placed him?