PDA

View Full Version : Ivermectin LIQUID dosage - TIME RESTRICTED

Emssiee
11-16-2021, 02:34 PM
Greetings everyone,

I originally posted this thread in the non-emergency forum as I wasn’t sure if this is considered an emergency, but since I am very time restricted (as I am leaving in 2 weeks so would need to administrate 1st dose today or tomorrow the latest to complete the treatment) and my situation involves a few squirrels lives (and it’s getting quite cold over here), so I decided to try my luck in the emergency forum..hope that’s ok..

A few wilds I feed have mange (diagnosed/confirmed by a rehabber member of the board) Due to the pandemic madness, all the Bimectin is sold out over here (I’m in Canada) but I managed to find ivermectin in a liquid form, and geez the syringe is HUGE compared to the paste. Here are pictures of the product;

Would anyone have the kindness to let me know the appropriate dosage with this liquid form? Thank you so much in advance for your help.

M

Emssiee
11-16-2021, 11:35 PM
Anyone? :/

Chirps
11-17-2021, 02:40 AM
Hi Emssiee!

I wouldn't presume to know how they compare, but here is a link for the breakdown of the 1.87% Ivermectin paste. (Brand name Zimecterin)

https://valleyvet.cvpservice.com/product/view/basic/1111092

Scroll down to where it says "Dosage and Administration". It is VERY late here and I am getting punchy trying to compare to see if one is more potent than the other, and if so, which. Plus I'm not used to metric measurements. Hopefully you are familiar enough with the paste to figure the dosage for liquid, or if you can hang on for a bit someone who can calculate the difference will see this thread, check the link and figure out the dosage and post in time for you to treat your friends. Wish I could be more helpful.

Best wishes to you and your squirrels.

SquirrelyDan
11-17-2021, 03:13 AM
Hi there, vet here:

I get really nervous with the horse ivermectin.

The horse paste is so concentrated that it’s VERY hard to give a safe dose. I’ve treated cases of blindness and even death in 50lb+ dogs where the owner just gave a little “dab” of the horse stuff, or the dog chewed the mostly empty syringe in the barn trash can or even licked up a little bit after the horse spit it onto the ground.

I checked the research, and rats (sadly, experimented on) didn’t seem to be quite as sensitive to ivermectin as other species (so maybe one could extrapolate and apply that to squirrels, but no guarantees). Still, the maximum (potentially) safe dose for an adult squirrel would be like a TINY spec of that paste (and would be way more than the necessary therapeutic dose.

Also, they’d need a dose every 2 weeks for at least a month, presuming it’s notoedric mange.

Could you get ahold of Bravecto topical or Revolution? A tiny amount (0.1mL, basically a small drop) is all they would need, and one single dose should be completely curative.

That would also take some of the time pressure off of you.

In the US they’re both prescription-only, so it may be the same in Canada, but there are some websites that sell them online without an Rx (not sure how legit they are).

Good luck!

squirrelfriend
11-17-2021, 06:39 AM
SquirrelyDan, just to answer your question, ivermectin can be bought at horse supply stores here in Ontario Canada. The author of this post is from Quebec province. Apparently it’s not legal in that province. Revolution is by prescription only.

do you know of something that she can give orally to these squirrels? These are wilds so using revolution might be difficult.

Mel1959
11-17-2021, 06:44 AM
Revolution can be purchased online at Joes Pet Meds. The online company is located in Australia but I heard it should arrive in a week or so. The other name for Revolution that might be available where you are is called Stronghold. Both are the drug Selamectin, which is very safe. You should be able to get Revolution at a vets office. It can either be applied topically on the skin between the shoulder blades or given orally. Either way one drop is all you need.

As Squirrely Dan said, I don’t think I’d take a chance using the stuff you have as it’s so potent.

Mel1959
11-17-2021, 06:48 AM
I just responded, squirrelfriend. Revolution can be placed on a nut and administered orally. One drop.

Emssiee
11-17-2021, 08:30 AM
Thank you very much to all of you.

Im afraid getting a prescription from a vet is not an option as it is illegal here to care for squirrels. Without mentioning the costs to see a vet here is not cheap at all, haha. And as I am time limited (leaving in 2 weeks) I don’t want to risk ordering from oversees :/

Emssiee
11-17-2021, 08:48 AM
This is the info I found to compare Bimectin (paste 1.87%) and the liquid ivermectin I have.

Bimectin paste 1.87% :

Liquid Ivermectin:

Emssiee
11-17-2021, 09:23 AM
So 1ml = 110 lb, and let’s roughly assume a grey squirrel is about 1lb?

Emssiee
11-17-2021, 09:54 AM
Someone has reached out privately and provided dosage instructions. Thank you very much everyone for your time and help!

stepnstone
11-17-2021, 04:32 PM
Someone has reached out privately and provided dosage instructions. Thank you very much everyone for your time and help!

I personally have not used it to be able to advise on it's use but do know there has been quite a few
members that have safely and successfully treated squirrels by the use of the Ivermectin paste.
Thank you to whoever reached out to help this member and squirrel. :great