PDA

View Full Version : (Lucky) 12wk old w/ diarrhea

sweetdisaster
10-27-2021, 09:41 PM
My little one lucky is about 12 weeks give out take a week. He’s been doing great no issues. Then in the last week started having loose stool. Occasional had a bad odor. But not bad. But yesterday it became watery but didn’t have a bad smell. Stopped his ebsilac formula and blocks and greens and started pedilyte. Up half the night to make sure he was hydrated. He woke up this morning doing ok. Started back with formula. Tonight again his stool is watery and his bottom is so sore he cries when he goes. Started back on the pedilyte. Stool smells bad again. Not like death but like c. Diff but he hasn’t had any antibiotics. His diet hasn’t changed. I keep his kennel clean. Onetime he goes I clean it as soon as I see it. He’s getting lethargic. Please he’ help. TIA

Tuff
10-27-2021, 10:27 PM
My little one lucky is about 12 weeks give out take a week. He’s been doing great no issues. Then in the last week started having loose stool. Occasional had a bad odor. But not bad. But yesterday it became watery but didn’t have a bad smell. Stopped his ebsilac formula and blocks and greens and started pedilyte. Up half the night to make sure he was hydrated. He woke up this morning doing ok. Started back with formula. Tonight again his stool is watery and his bottom is so sore he cries when he goes. Started back on the pedilyte. Stool smells bad again. Not like death but like c. Diff but he hasn’t had any antibiotics. His diet hasn’t changed. I keep his kennel clean. Onetime he goes I clean it as soon as I see it. He’s getting lethargic. Please he’ help. TIA

How much are you feeding him? If you over feed then it will cause diarrhea. You can’t just take the food away and them not get lethargic. If he has Coccidia then the poop smells really bad. If I had to guess that is what he has.

HRT4SQRLS
10-28-2021, 08:25 AM
Just curious, is the Esbilac a new can that was just opened?
What about the block? Is this a new bag? I recently heard a possible concern with the Henry’s block due to shipping delays. Blocks that used to arrive in 4 days are now taking a week. This might become a problem as that is much too long for a perishable product.

sweetdisaster
10-28-2021, 09:05 AM
How much are you feeding him? If you over feed then it will cause diarrhea. You can’t just take the food away and them not get lethargic. If he has Coccidia then the poop smells really bad. If I had to guess that is what he has.

He has been eating 18cc’s for the last month with no problems

sweetdisaster
10-28-2021, 09:06 AM

I give him pedilyte them ebsilac 1 to 4 for now but he prefers the pedilyte right now.

sweetdisaster
10-28-2021, 09:10 AM

Just curious, is the Esbilac a new can that was just opened?
What about the block? Is this a new bag? I recently heard a possible concern with the Henry’s block due to shipping delays. Blocks that used to arrive in 4 days are now taking a week. This might become a problem as that is much too long for a perishable product.
I’ve had the blocks. Thought of that also. The can is almost empty, large one. So not that. I’m at a loss. He’s better again this morning. Playing. He nursed 12cc’s off 1 to 4 ebsilac last night so he’s had some nutrition. I’m going to see if I can get my hands on some flagyl.

HRT4SQRLS
10-28-2021, 09:36 AM
Just curious, why the 1:4 Esbilac? Most don’t like formula that diluted.

The Flagyl (metronidazole) would be good. I doubt this is Giardia but the Flagyl has anti-inflammatory properties. It is used for irritable bowel syndrome and Crohns. Sometimes settling the inflammation is all that’s needed to stop diarrhea.

By the way, it tastes terrible so expect a fight.

Mel1959
10-28-2021, 09:56 AM
I’m also curious as to why you’re diluting the formula that much? Not only do most squirrels not like it, it cuts down on the amount of nutrition he’s getting.

If you’re doing it to provide hydration, it would be better to offer some plain water or pedialyte IN BETWEEN regular feedings.

sweetdisaster
10-28-2021, 10:52 AM
Just curious, why the 1:4 Esbilac? Most don’t like formula that diluted.

The Flagyl (metronidazole) would be good. I doubt this is Giardia but the Flagyl has anti-inflammatory properties. It is used for irritable bowel syndrome and Crohns. Sometimes settling the inflammation is all that’s needed to stop diarrhea.

By the way, it tastes terrible so expect a fight.
I have prednisone on hand that would stop inflammation, would that work? And your right
Here doesn’t like the dilution. It was suggested on a site.

HRT4SQRLS
10-28-2021, 11:23 AM
No I wouldn’t use prednisone for diarrhea. The anti-inflammatory properties of Flagyl would be a bonus property. Without knowing the cause of the diarrhea prednisone would not be indicated.

Mel1959
10-28-2021, 11:24 AM
I have prednisone on hand that would stop inflammation, would that work? And your right
Here doesn’t like the dilution. It was suggested on a site.

Prednisone will not help if the diarrhea is from a parasite or some other issue. Prednisone is only an anti-inflammatory.

Metronidazole (Flagyl) is an antimocrobial. Baycox (Toltrazuril) is another antimocrobial that treats coccidia. It can be purchased on Amazon or other online sources.

I’d suggest going back to mixing the formula at regular strength and offering water in between feedings. Pedialyte should not be used for more than 24 hours due to the high level of sodium.

It would be helpful to not gather treatment information from a variety of online sources. There’s a lot of questionable information out there. The information provided on this site has been gathered by decades of experience by licensed and unlicensed rehabbers.

sweetdisaster
10-28-2021, 11:29 AM
Thank you so much! I will get my hands on some flagyl. And go back to his normal feeding. Again thank you so much.

sweetdisaster
10-28-2021, 11:55 AM

We have a vet appointment tomorrow. So I can breathe now. One more sleepless night