PDA

View Full Version : Joey has Cataracts in both eyes

Joey's Human
10-05-2021, 03:39 PM
The veterinarian told me today Joey has cataracts in both eyes. He is locating a lab that can process Joey's blood so we can find out what underlying situation caused this problem.

He has located a veterinarian that performs cataract surgery on exotic animals. I will take Joey to see this person once we find out the cause.

Does anyone have any experiences with either cataracts or cataract surgery for squirrels?

Joey's Human
10-06-2021, 09:16 PM
Joey had bloodwork completed today by the veterinarian to help find out the reason Joey has cataracts. Joey is only 7 months old. Does anyone have any experience with cataract surgery for squirrels? Thank you.

HRT4SQRLS
10-06-2021, 09:49 PM
In younger squirrels, cataracts are usually nutritional. What is his diet?

Edit: I see that you asked for diet advice in June so I assume you’re following the healthy diet recommendations.

Joey's Human
10-06-2021, 09:55 PM
Joey eats Henry's picky blocks 3 daily, Henry's protein blocks 3 daily, Henry's hazelnut sticks every other day, 1 yum-yum ball daily, shelled and unshelled pecans, hazelnuts in shell and in her food, almonds, green beans, broccoli, squash, peeled apple, banana slice, grapes with skins, rodent blocks, but she doesnt eat them, calcium powder I sprinkle on her bowl of food which is Exotic Nutrition Squirrel Complete mixture which she gets 3 small scoops daily.

Thank you.

Yes, I started her off with the Esbilac formula when my neighbor brought her to me. Joey had fallen out of a tree in neighbor's yard where he has 2 dogs. Joey was about 6 weeks old then from what information I had gathered because her eyes were open.

HRT4SQRLS
10-06-2021, 10:12 PM
Whoa! You’re over-supplementing BIG time. The Henry’s blocks are packed with vitamins and minerals. If you have ever made them, you would be shocked at the amount of vitamin/mineral powder in the Henry’s blocks. A young squirrel like you have should only be eating TWO at the most. You are feeding six. This is 3x the recommended amount. He is getting entirely too many vitamins and minerals in the diet. Starting tomorrow give her only one block. You should buy some Envigo Teklad 2016 block online (Amazon). This is a ‘normal’ rodent block and he can have as much as he wants of that but NOT the Henry’s. Stop the calcium.

She can’t have nuts as part of the diet. A nut is only given as a treat.

I have no doubt that the cataracts are caused by too many Henry’s blocks.

Joey's Human
10-06-2021, 10:13 PM
Yes, I started her off with the Esbilac formula when my neighbor brought her to me. Joey had fallen out of a tree in neighbor's yard where he has 2 dogs. Joey was about 6 weeks old then from what information I had gathered because her eyes were open.

I'll take a picture of her eyes tomorrow when my husband can help me and post it for you to view.
Also, if you know of an Optometrist in the Austin, Texas area that will perform the eye surgery that will be helpful. My local veterinarian has found a doctor that is in Houston, but I do not know him. I'm calling his office tomorrow to get more details about his reputation and if he has perform the surgery on squirrels.

I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure I'm responding correctly. Thank you for your patience.

HRT4SQRLS
10-06-2021, 10:16 PM
Squirrels won’t eat veggies if nuts are on the plate. You are going to have to practice tough love. No more nuts. Is there any chance Joey would take formula? Probably not.

Joey's Human
10-06-2021, 10:16 PM
On my gosh. Thank you. I will follow your instructions for sure.
When I first got Joey I tried to find a rehabber in my area but could not.
Do you think it could be reversed by diet alone or does she need the surgery. She's so sweet and I do want her to have to go through it.

Joey's Human
10-06-2021, 10:17 PM
She stopped taking the formula too soon I feel. I will try again tomorrow if you feel I should.

HRT4SQRLS
10-06-2021, 10:22 PM
I wouldn’t even consider surgery on her.

Maybe this will improve with diet modifications. I don’t know if it can be completely reversed but let’s try.

Joey's Human
10-06-2021, 10:27 PM
Should I put any type of drops in her eyes?

Thank you so much for helping Joey and me.

On her diet, should I feed her any other veggies or fruits?

Thank you again. She's so precious.

HRT4SQRLS
10-06-2021, 10:29 PM
I hate to trash your entire diet but the Exotic Nutrition Complete for squirrels is NOT recommended on TSB.

This is the ingredient list. You will notice that the first SIX ingredients are unhealthy. Nuts, seeds and corn are extremely unhealthy. They are the leading cause of MBD. The only way they can make this food not deadly is to pack it with minerals to offset the negative aspects of the first 6 ingredients. Personally, I would not use this food.

INGREDIENTS: Corn, Pumpkin Seeds, Peanuts, Walnuts, Pecans, Almonds, Dehydrated Cranberries, Dehydrated Sweet Potatoes, Whole Rose Hips, Diced Coconut, Dried Apple, Dried Insects, Soybean Meal, Wheat Middling, Full Fat-Extruded Soy, Wheat Feed Flour, Soy Oil, Fish Meal, Dicalcium Phosphate, Limestone, Sale, Choline Chloride, DL Methionine, Vitamin D3 Supplement, DL-Alpha Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Folic Acid, Niacin, Riboflavin, Thiamine, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin ! Acetate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex (Vitamin K), Calcium Pantothenate, Cobalt Carbonate, Copper Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Oxide

Joey's Human
10-06-2021, 10:32 PM
I appreciate your input. Please send me exactly what I should be feeding her and I will start the diet change immediately no matter what I need to change or buy.

Thanks.

Please tell me what food to use instead of the Exotic.

HRT4SQRLS
10-06-2021, 10:33 PM
What type of drops? Did the vet give you drops?

Tomorrow I would feed a single Henry block. See if she will eat vanilla yogurt. I would try veggies like sugar snap peas, butternut squash. Try avocado. I’m just trying to find natural healthy things. You’re going to have a time getting her to eat healthy.

Joey's Human
10-06-2021, 10:37 PM
No, the vet did not give drops. He's sending BW in to see if she is diabetic is one of the things he is checking. He is an exotic vet and he has seen other squirrels so praying he is good.

I just thought you may know of drops that would help.

Whst brand of vanilla yogurt?

HRT4SQRLS
10-06-2021, 10:38 PM
She will have a fit and might not eat them but I would order the Envigo Teklad 2016 from Amazon.

If you have any formula left I would offer it (warm) and see if she will take it. She probably won’t. All those nuts have spoiled her and she is going to be super picky.

She absolutely can’t have the Henry’s blocks (JUST ONE per day for now) or the Hazelnut sticks. Even they are packed with vitamins and vitamins.

Joey's Human
10-06-2021, 10:40 PM
Do I feed her unlimited amount of sugar snaps, butternut squash and avocado?

Ok, ordering the blocks now on amazon.

HRT4SQRLS
10-06-2021, 10:47 PM
I would tell the vet about the accidental over-supplementing. I’m sure you didn’t know about the Henry’s blocks. If he knows about the problem he might have ideas to help her eyes.

No I wouldn’t use any drops unless the vet prescribes them.

StoneyField makes a really good full fat yogurt. It is in a pint container and is Vanilla. The container says Organic Probiotic. StoneyField also makes YoBaby which is full fat. I don’t know if she will eat this but I’m just trying to think of anything she might eat.

Joey's Human
10-06-2021, 10:47 PM
The blocks arent available from amazon right now.
Do you know where else I may purchased?

Thank you.

Awesome on the yogurt.

HRT4SQRLS
10-06-2021, 10:55 PM
Do I feed her unlimited amount of sugar snaps, butternut squash and avocado?

Ok, ordering the blocks now on amazon.

She can have as much veggies as she will eat. I would limit the avocado to a small chunk maybe twice a day. Try cucumber. For some strange reason, my flyers like cucumber. Weird, I know. Kale is an excellent veggie. You could try it. We just have to redirect her appetite away from the Henry’s, Exotic Nutrition and nuts as her primary diet.

She is going to rebel. She will have a fit when you give her a bowl of veggies.

Joey's Human
10-06-2021, 11:00 PM
Yes, I can hear her now.
Thank you so much for your advice. I'll keep you posted and please if you think if anything else let me know.

You're awesome!

HRT4SQRLS
10-06-2021, 11:04 PM
You could get the Teklad 2014 block
https://www.amazon.com/ENVIGO-Harlan-Teklad-Global-Food-Pellets/dp/B075DV29X1/ref=sr_1_38?dchild=1&keywords=Envigo+Teklad+2016&qid=1633578994&sr=8-38

Or you could buy Mazuri rodent block at a local pet retailer like PetSmart. I think it is called rat and mouse.

You might need to smear them with almond butter to get her to eat them. Peanut butter would also work but the almond butter is a little more healthy.

Don’t buy both. One of the other. If you have a local pet retailer that would be easier.

HRT4SQRLS
10-06-2021, 11:06 PM
Maybe tomorrow others can sound in with diet ideas.

Good night. Don’t give up. We will work on this.

CritterMom
10-07-2021, 02:14 AM
I always get my Teklad blocks on ebay! There are several sellers and the prices are better than anywhere else.

Joey's Human
10-07-2021, 07:45 AM
Thank you so much.

HRT4SQRLS
10-07-2021, 07:58 AM
I checked the eBay site and couldn’t find the 2016. It wasn’t on Amazon either so maybe they stopped making it or a supply problem. IDK. They make a 2014 and a 2018. In Joey’s case you should probably order the 2014. The number is the amount of protein if I’m not mistaken. In Joeys case… less is better.

Edit…. Yes it is the protein. 14% protein vs 18% protein. Definitely less for Joey. Order the 2014.

HRT4SQRLS
10-07-2021, 08:08 AM
This is a chart I want you to study.
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67967&d=1232419601

It is the Calcium : Phosphorus ratio of foods. There is a lot to learn here. The ideal foods have a 2:1 ratio of Calcium to Phosphorus. I can give you two examples to look at.

Look at kale and pine nuts. Kale is an excellent food. Pine nuts are horrendous. You should be able to see why on the chart. As you look at the chart you can determine which foods are the best. I noticed that orange is very good so give her a small orange wedge. Right now my main concern is getting food into her and flushing out the excess minerals/vitamins.

HRT4SQRLS
10-07-2021, 08:10 AM
I don’t think I posted the Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels. This is the link.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

Even thought the pyramid shows the bulk of the diet being rodent block that does NOT mean Henry’s blocks. It means a commercial block like the Teklad blocks. Henry’s are a supplement block and should be limited.

Joey's Human
10-07-2021, 10:14 AM
Perfect timing. I'm at grocery store now buying the veggies you recommend. I will study the diet while at store.
My husband ordered the 2014 rodent blocks from Amazon.
Thank you once again.

Joey's Human
10-07-2021, 09:05 PM
Joey ate most of her vegetables, butternut squash, broccoli, kale, avocado and sugar snap peas. I gave her 1 henry picky block, 2 pecan halves, 2 small pieces of apple. She ate the peanut butter off rodent blocks but no rodent blocks. Chewed on her whole pecan and apple sticks.

I reached out to vet's office and sent him an email regarding over supplementing. He was out of office this pm so he or his staff should respond tomorrow.

QUESTION: Did she eat enough since she did Not eat any rodent blocks?

Thank you.

HRT4SQRLS
10-07-2021, 09:45 PM
Joey ate most of her vegetables, butternut squash, broccoli, kale, avocado and sugar snap peas. I gave her 1 henry picky block, 2 pecan halves, 2 small pieces of apple. She ate the peanut butter off rodent blocks but no rodent blocks. Chewed on her whole pecan and apple sticks.

I reached out to vet's office and sent him an email regarding over supplementing. He was out of office this pm so he or his staff should respond tomorrow.

QUESTION: Did she eat enough since she did Not eat any rodent blocks?

Thank you.

That’s awesome. I’m so glad to hear that she ate her veggies. I would drop the pecan halves to one. When the Teklad block comes in you will probably need to eliminate even that pecan half until she eats the block. We don’t want to go too far in the other direction.

I’m sure she ate enough. If not she would have finished the veggies.

I’m curious did you notice the cloudy eyes? I read back and saw the vet noted the cataracts. If it was subtle and seen on an exam by the vet, maybe it’s early stage and will reverse.

Joey's Human
10-08-2021, 08:39 AM
I noticed them 2 days prior to obtaining the appt with vet. They worked me in with a $98 emergency fee added on Saturday. I was thankful to find someone that examined squirrels.
At first I thought it was a reflection from her white cage. I noticed she would be sitting still and them would sort of nod her head downwards as if going to sleep and then just all of a sudden get out of the trance and start jumping from one level to the next. The vet thinks she was trying to focus to see by nodding. I thought it was neurological since at that time I did not know about the cataracts.
The nodding is why I originally took Joey in because it was something new that she had not done previously.
Yes, she likes the new vegetables. Thank you so much for the suggestions and the diet plan. Very helpful.

Joey's Human
11-01-2021, 05:29 PM
Update on Joey. She is eating her vegetables great, loves them. Vegetables consist of yellow squash, zucchini, broccoli, carrots, sugar snaps, butternut squash and kale. One picky block daily, 1 pecan in shell, 1 almond, 1 piece of apple every other day, 2 blueberries twice weekly. unlimited Teklad 14 blocks and alfalfa. She plays with our kitten through bottom of her cage so I know she can see a little. I believe her eyesight is improving. The only Optometrist that will see squirrels is 200 miles away from my home. We sold our 2018 car to carvana because we are shopping for 2022 model. I don't trust my 2006 kia to make trip safely so once we get a 2022 model I will schedule the appointment. My local veterinarian that saw Joey previously is the one that located the Optometrist for me. I am to take Joey back to locate veterinarian in 5 months to recheck her bloodwork to see if her new diet has improved her bloodwork. Thank you for helping Joey and me.

HRT4SQRLS
11-01-2021, 07:50 PM
I’m so happy to hear that things are positive with Joey. The good nutrition he’s eating could help his eyesight.