PDA

View Full Version : Is it MBD?

Kierlyn.A
10-01-2021, 10:15 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently rehabbing a group of gray squirrels. All of them are great, except for one. Ever since her eyes opened, I noticed that she is having trouble using her front legs. One in particular, she drags. She ends up pushing herself around on her chest. When she stops to think about it, she can put weight on them. I've taken her into the wildlife center I'm a part of and they said there was nothing broken and wants to take a wait and see approach, but I'm afraid that if it's MBD that waiting is going to be detrimental to her. She's eating fine and seems content. Her front legs just won't cooperate. A lot of times, her little hands bend back at the wrists and she tries to walk that way. I would say she's about 6-7 weeks old. I'm not really sure what else could be wrong, and MBD was the first thing that popped into my mind. Does this sound like symptoms of MBD, and if so, what should I do?

Chirps
10-02-2021, 12:26 AM
Hi! One of the experts will have ideas, but my first thought is, does she have any sibs in this group? Is this a litter or a mixed bag of different ages? Because if you do everything the same way for everyone and they're all thriving, that smacks of some other issue. Is she the oldest? What do you feed, and how often? If you're following all the protocols on feeding and everyone but her is doing well, it sounds like a problem specific to her. Was she ever injured/took a fall etc. that you know of that might have injured her? :thinking

redwuff
10-02-2021, 07:29 AM
What are you feeding? On a nutritionally sound diet she should not get mbd. If she tends to walk on the backs of her front toes, that can be a spinal issue. Chirps got all the things to look for.

Would love to see a picture of her!

Kierlyn.A
10-02-2021, 08:19 AM
Hi! One of the experts will have ideas, but my first thought is, does she have any sibs in this group? Is this a litter or a mixed bag of different ages? Because if you do everything the same way for everyone and they're all thriving, that smacks of some other issue. Is she the oldest? What do you feed, and how often? If you're following all the protocols on feeding and everyone but her is doing well, it sounds like a problem specific to her. Was she ever injured/took a fall etc. that you know of that might have injured her? :thinking

Thanks so much for the reply! She does have other siblings... as far as I know, they are all her actual siblings. Everyone else is doing fine. They all get FV and rodent block... 5 feedings a day. I don't know much about their situation, other than that someone found their nest and brought them in. I can try and get a video if that would be helpful in determining what might be wrong. I just want to be doing everything I can for her.

redwuff
10-02-2021, 09:38 AM
What FV are you feeding 32/40 or 20/50? Video would be terrific!

Kierlyn.A
10-02-2021, 02:50 PM
What FV are you feeding 32/40 or 20/50? Video would be terrific!

fv 20/50... here's a link to a video https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PWLzE1kGxxRnLnwEzRBK-LSfSWk-NIO6/view?usp=sharing

CritterMom
10-02-2021, 03:11 PM
Is that arm swollen? I can't get a good look at his other arm so I can't compare. This looks like an injury to me... Did the wildlife center x-ray? If not, can they?

Kierlyn.A
10-02-2021, 10:18 PM
Is that arm swollen? I can't get a good look at his other arm so I can't compare. This looks like an injury to me... Did the wildlife center x-ray? If not, can they?

It’s about the same size as the other arm. No X-ray… I don’t think we even have the ability to. The rehab laws are so crazy in AL so more wildlife is euthanized than helped really. If she’s deemed not releasable when it’s time, then she’ll be put down. Because there aren’t many rehabbers in the state, every place stays so full and just don’t have the resources to focus on these kind of issues. I’m so scared for her and want to do whatever I can to give her a chance.

redwuff
10-03-2021, 06:42 AM
It looks broken to me. Can you use some painters tape to put it in position and tape it. Cut it down to 1/2 inch size. Do it after she has fed and she is sleepy. Put a layer of white tape over the painters tape.

Is the other leg the same way? Thank you for the video. That really helped. If the leg is broken/dysfunctional at the wrist joint, it can’t be fixed.

Kierlyn.A
10-03-2021, 08:09 AM
It looks broken to me. Can you use some painters tape to put it in position and tape it. Cut it down to 1/2 inch size. Do it after she has fed and she is sleepy. Put a layer of white tape over the painters tape.

Is the other leg the same way? Thank you for the video. That really helped. If the leg is broken/dysfunctional at the wrist joint, it can’t be fixed.

Thank you! Her other leg seems to be fine. Do I need to use anything under the tape to give it more stability or will the tape be enough to help?

island rehabber
10-03-2021, 08:19 AM
I have seen this in a squirrel many years ago (Christine :Love_Icon) and it turned out to be a collar bone injury. Without access to X-rays you will not be able to determine if this is also the case. I would suggest a course of Prednisone -- it can do wonders for nerve damage and inflammation. Poor girlie.

PS: it is practically impossible for a squirrel her age, on formula, to get MBD. Something else is certainly going on.

Kierlyn.A
10-03-2021, 09:45 AM
I have seen this in a squirrel many years ago (Christine :Love_Icon) and it turned out to be a collar bone injury. Without access to X-rays you will not be able to determine if this is also the case. I would suggest a course of Prednisone -- it can do wonders for nerve damage and inflammation. Poor girlie.

PS: it is practically impossible for a squirrel her age, on formula, to get MBD. Something else is certainly going on.

That’s good to know thank you. MBD has always just been one of my greatest fears so that’s what my mind always jumps to. That’s very interesting about the collar bone but it makes total sense. I’ve thought she might need a steroid all along… but how do you get access to medications when you don’t have access. *sigh* I just so badly want to help her.

island rehabber
10-03-2021, 01:51 PM
That’s good to know thank you. MBD has always just been one of my greatest fears so that’s what my mind always jumps to. That’s very interesting about the collar bone but it makes total sense. I’ve thought she might need a steroid all along… but how do you get access to medications when you don’t have access. *sigh* I just so badly want to help her.

Lots of people have 'extra' medications around, especially things like prednisone where they are taken on and off for flare-ups of whatever. Ask neighbors, family and friends.