PDA

View Full Version : Stinky Diarrhea & Redness

sharonashley78@gmail.com
09-14-2021, 09:35 PM
I have a 8-10 week old girl with extreme diarrhea- yellowish/tanish in color & very watery. Her bottom end is red and swollen. I was giving her Walmart’s puppy milk along with a little bit of pedialyte. I thought this would help her from getting dehydrated but I now know I was VERY wrong- I just made things worse. She’s had diarrhea since Saturday.
What should I do? Could she have some type of infection since she’s very stinky?? What antibiotics can I use?? Please help

Mel1959
09-14-2021, 09:47 PM
Exactly what is the name of the puppy formula? If it’s anything other than Esbilac POWDERED puppy formula it’s the wrong formula. If this is the case there’s no doubt that the formula is what’s causing the diarrhea. You can buy Esbilac POWDERED puppy formula at some Walmart’s, PetCo’s, PetSmarts, Pet Supermarket and Tractor Supply stores.

Provide water with a tiny bit of sugar or honey added to it to replace the fluids she’s losing with the diarrhea. Pedialyte should never be mixed with formula and should only be used for 24 hours.

How long have you had her? There’s always a chance it could be a parasite, but we first need to know about the formula.

sharonashley78@gmail.com
09-14-2021, 10:04 PM
It’s the Pet-ag puppy replacement milk that I was using. I’ve since ordered fox valley, that should be here tomorrow. I picked up some esbilac but haven’t given her any yet.
I’ve had her since last Thursday. She was brought to me from a shelter. Has had diarrhea since then.

HRT4SQRLS
09-15-2021, 07:42 AM
I would get her on the Fox Valley as soon as possible. She might have a parasite but you need to get her on the proper formula before we consider something like that. If the FV is coming today, I wouldn’t use the Esbilac. Maybe you can return it. There is no need to change the formula 3 times.

The formula you’re using isn’t recommended and can cause diarrhea. It’s also nutritionally deficient.