PDA

View Full Version : Itchy baby

PecanMom
09-11-2021, 12:06 AM
I need a little help with this one! I have a baby squirrel that is possibly three weeks. the vet said she was a pinky but she has more hair than a new born pinky. I noticed this morning that she has thick patches of itchy dry skin on one of her legs going up to her hip. I keep her very clean And her area is very clean. She has been through a lot when I got her she had an pneumonia, constipation and was dehydrated. I’ve gotten control of the dehydration and she’s no longer constipated and she’s on anabiotic’s. but now she has a new problem! She is even biting at the area even though her top teeth are just starting to come in. Any advice to what is going on with her skin now!? I am new on here and I’m not sure how to post a picture if anybody can walk me through it that would be great that way I can show yall what’s going on.

Mel1959
09-11-2021, 06:38 AM
To post a pic scroll down below the message square and you’ll see a little box that says “manage attachments”, click on it and follow the prompts to upload a picture from your files.

She could have mites. Since you have a vet ask your vet if you can purchase some cat/kitten Revolution. It requires a Rx, but the vet should sell it at their office. Put one drop on your squirrels back between the shoulder blades. Make sure it reaches the skin.

My only concern about using the Revolution would be her age. It’s a very safe drug. I’m not sure if others have used it on one as young as this, so I hope they’ll chime in if they have.

I’m not sure if a bath with Dawn dish detergent or baby soap will kill mites or not, but it would be another option. Keep her warm following a bath.

Once you upload a picture it might be easier to determine what’s going on. A little coconut oil rubbed into it if it’s just dry skin might help. Dry skin is itchy.

PecanMom
09-11-2021, 03:18 PM
To post a pic scroll down below the message square and you’ll see a little box that says “manage attachments”, click on it and follow the prompts to upload a picture from your files.

She could have mites. Since you have a vet ask your vet if you can purchase some cat/kitten Revolution. It requires a Rx, but the vet should sell it at their office. Put one drop on your squirrels back between the shoulder blades. Make sure it reaches the skin.

My only concern about using the Revolution would be her age. It’s a very safe drug. I’m not sure if others have used it on one as young as this, so I hope they’ll chime in if they have.

I’m not sure if a bath with Dawn dish detergent or baby soap will kill mites or not, but it would be another option. Keep her warm following a bath.

Once you upload a picture it might be easier to determine what’s going on. A little coconut oil rubbed into it if it’s just dry skin might help. Dry skin is itchy.

These are the pictures I got. it’s like eczema patches is the best way to describe it

Tootsie's mom
09-11-2021, 05:10 PM
I am by no means a pro here at! So wait for others but I am wondering if it got worse since starting the antibiotics if it could be yeast issue of some kind... Again just an idea but please wait for the pros cause they know what they are doing on here for sure!

HRT4SQRLS
09-11-2021, 09:38 PM
That pic is a little concerning. I don’t like seeing wrinkled skin like that. Let’s hope that it is just a spot of mange/mites. I would treat it as such until I know otherwise. Revolution is very effective at treating mites. You would have to get it from your vet. Because this is such a little guy I would put the tiniest drop possible on the skin between the shoulders. I would not use a free falling drop. That is too much. A syringe with a needle would deliver the tiniest drop to the skin if you happen to have one.

It looks a little like pox with the wrinkled skin but the location is all wrong. Pox is usually first seen on the toes, around the eyes and on the genitals. It produces pox like lesions. Of course, your photo doesn’t look pox-like but the wrinkled skin is sometimes seen with pox. Let’s not assume the worse at this point. Treat it as mites and hopefully it will get better.

HRT4SQRLS
09-11-2021, 09:41 PM
You might want to switch out the towel with fleece or a T-shirt. The loops on towels can get snagged by their nails and cause injuries. :thumbsup

PecanMom
09-12-2021, 04:02 AM
The towel is only there for feeding purposes I do have her in critter care natural paper pet bedding do you think that might be drying her out? She likes to hide in it to sleep but again the towel is only what I feed her on and I watch her toes so they don’t get stuck in it as I’m feeding her.

PecanMom
09-12-2021, 04:05 AM
I do have access to a syringe with the needle I will try that she does have a little bit of drying by her tummy today. she was severely dehydrated and the vet gave her fluids. I have been following up with Pedialyte she does seem a little wrinkly before feedings, but smooths out after. the pictures were before feeding

PecanMom
09-12-2021, 04:18 AM
I am by no means a pro here at! So wait for others but I am wondering if it got worse since starting the antibiotics if it could be yeast issue of some kind... Again just an idea but please wait for the pros cause they know what they are doing on here for sure!

I will bring her by the vet again it seems to be getting better after I bathed her. It’s not as thick now but I hope whatever it is it’s not too serious she was in horrible shape when I got the call to go get her. She’s getting so much stronger now but now a new issue arises. Monday will be 2 week since I’ve had her in my care. She definitely didn’t have it then and it appeared over night.. fast.. but it’s not spreading. I will definitely ask about the clavamox they prescribed her.

cassgrimm
09-12-2021, 04:24 AM
Morning!

Please do not use Pedialyte or any other salted fluid recipe for longer than 24 hours. After the 24 hour mark, please switch to either plain tap water or slightly sweetened tap water (a drop of molasses, honey, or clear Karo syrup for flavor). Make sure you are hydrating in-between feedings and not during, as this can be counterproductive.

I do not have any experience with the bedding you are describing. Before they graduate to the big boy cage, I don't use any bedding whatsoever. I just do a lot of laundry! Once the babies are agile enough to move into the big cage (which has a grated bottom that I cover half of with padded fleece), I place paper towels beneath the grating to catch the mess.

Be wary of cardboard - it draws moisture which causes dry skin.

Mel1959
09-12-2021, 07:15 AM
I’d remove that bedding from the cage and use nothing but fleece or blankets. You can pick up super soft baby blankets on clearance at Ross stores for about $2-3. It’s best to wash any bedding in a detergent for sensitive skin with no dyes or scents. What’s going on could be an allergic reaction to the bedding.

PecanMom
09-12-2021, 01:43 PM
Morning!

Please do not use Pedialyte or any other salted fluid recipe for longer than 24 hours. After the 24 hour mark, please switch to either plain tap water or slightly sweetened tap water (a drop of molasses, honey, or clear Karo syrup for flavor). Make sure you are hydrating in-between feedings and not during, as this can be counterproductive.

I do not have any experience with the bedding you are describing. Before they graduate to the big boy cage, I don't use any bedding whatsoever. I just do a lot of laundry! Once the babies are agile enough to move into the big cage (which has a grated bottom that I cover half of with padded fleece), I place paper towels beneath the grating to catch the mess.

Be wary of cardboard - it draws moisture which causes dry skin.

I had switched to water in Karo Syrup and I have been doing that in between feedings.

but while reading more on this site last night I realized that I have been feeding her Esbilac and that there are lots of bad side effects with it. Does anyone know the side effects? I also feel like I need to plump her up! she was so malnourished when found. The ants were starting to get her. nobody knows how long she was outside before she was found. She’s was not being kept warm by the caller. She was barley wanting to move. it was after the hurricane and the winds were bad before it hit land. I would like to start using Fox Valley but I’m not sure which kind to order.

Also I have a humidifier in her room with her.

Her bedding as well as everything else in the house is washed with fragrance free sensitive skin Armen Hammer detergent because I have a allergy to fragrance and dyes

I will definitely switch the bedding to help her skin out

HRT4SQRLS
09-12-2021, 01:49 PM
If you decide to switch to FoxValley, you would use the FoxValley 20:50.

CritterMom
09-12-2021, 01:58 PM
The towel is only there for feeding purposes I do have her in critter care natural paper pet bedding do you think that might be drying her out? She likes to hide in it to sleep but again the towel is only what I feed her on and I watch her toes so they don’t get stuck in it as I’m feeding her.

Yes I do. We stress not to keep the babies in cardboard boxes because the cardboard will actually suck the moisture out of the air and them. The paper bedding will do the same. First, I would make sure baby is in a plastic container - the sterlite ones work great - with plenty of air holes. Then get yourself something heavy like a small coffee mug or a squatty little glass jar. Stuff some wet paper towels in the bottom of the jar or mug and place it on the side of the container that is sitting on the heating pad. Now you have made a tiny sauna. Dump the towels every day and replace so you don't have mold problems.

PecanMom
09-12-2021, 02:08 PM
Yes I do. We stress not to keep the babies in cardboard boxes because the cardboard will actually suck the moisture out of the air and them. The paper bedding will do the same. First, I would make sure baby is in a plastic container - the sterlite ones work great - with plenty of air holes. Then get yourself something heavy like a small coffee mug or a squatty little glass jar. Stuff some wet paper towels in the bottom of the jar or mug and place it on the side of the container that is sitting on the heating pad. Now you have made a tiny sauna. Dump the towels every day and replace so you don't have mold problems.

Thank you so much! It’s really just makes sense. This is my first squirrel baby and I’m learning throughout the day everyday. when I called places for help she was so sickly that they were going to euthanize her if I surrendered her and I wanted to give her a chance to grow up to be a happy healthy squirrel. She is getting stronger and stronger and now she is picking her self up off of the floor and she is fast fast. A huge difference from the sleepy still baby I first encountered! This really is a wonderful site and community of people!

Mel1959
09-13-2021, 06:31 AM
The most recent problems that were associated with Esbilac were the calcium granules were too large to be absorbed and babies were not getting the calcium they needed and were dying or having broken bones. Many folks will no longer ever use a PetAg product as a result.

If you decide to switch her to Fox Valley 20/50 you can, but either way you should order some Fox Valley Ultraboost. You can add it to the Esbilac or Fox Valley formula in a ratio of 75% Esbilac (FV) to 25% Ultraboost. The Ultraboost provides additional fat/calories as well as nutrients, without causing diarrhea. I always add it to my formula.