PDA

View Full Version : Little 7 week old male occasionally has shiver and not eating well.

Wil781
09-09-2021, 06:38 PM
Hello everyone, I have 2, 7 week old squirrels, mom was killed by neighbors dog and babies started coming out of the nest. One had died before I found it and the little female was found two days after moms death. Little boy was found 4 days after moms death. I have had them for 2 weeks and feeding squirrel formula and just started this week with food blocks. Well the little girl is an absolute pig and little boy eats but not with the gusto of his baby sister. Today his feeding has been way off, at 5:30 this morning he ate 9cc, at 9:30 a.m. he ate 6cc, at 1:30 p.m. he ate 3cc and at his 5:30 feeding once again he had 3cc. While feeding him I noticed a little shiver only lasting a second but several times. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? And is it normal for his consumption of formula to start falling off once food blocks are introduced? Between the two they are eating, crumbling, destroying a little more than half a block.

Also he weighs right at 150 grams.

HRT4SQRLS
09-09-2021, 06:49 PM
Hi Wil, You are feeding every 4 hrs. At 7 weeks you can feed every 6 hours. I would work up to that. Start spacing the feedings at 5 hours apart and then you can go to 6 hour intervals. The 4 hour interval isn’t long enough so he might not be hungry especially now that he is starting solid food.

You don’t want him to wean himself. Sometimes they will try that but 7 weeks is way too early. I think feeding less often will allow him to get hungry and increase the intake per feeding.

How is his activity level? If he seems normal in every other way, I think this might help. Is his breathing normal?

Wil781
09-09-2021, 07:07 PM
He seems alert, he does love to sleep but he is climbing and doing like he has normally. Poop and Pee seem normal. His breathing seems normal I have not heard any clicking, twice today when I would feed him he would have a tiny shiver and then it would be gone and do it a couple more times, so was concerned especially with his eating non comparable to his sister. He has never really ate as well as she does. So I will start increasing time between feedings gradually to 6 hours and see if that helps. Thanks

Wil781
09-10-2021, 11:08 AM
HRT4SQRLS, the little male squirrel is eating so much better on the new schedule. He ate 10cc at 5:30 a.m. and 9cc at 10:30. Still noticed a slight shiver for a second while feeding but he ate with plenty of enthusiasm. Thank you so much for your help!

HRT4SQRLS
09-10-2021, 12:29 PM
Wil781, I’m so happy to hear that. I thought it might help. If they are hungry they will usually take their formula enthusiastically. Proper spacing also helps with proper digestion. I wouldn’t worry about the shiver unless other symptoms develop. Squirrels are twitchy little things, even in their sleep so I wouldn’t be concerned right now random shivers.

Of course, if anything else develops let us know.

Wil781
09-10-2021, 05:09 PM
Thanks again and I will definitely be in touch if anything seems weird or unknown.