PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on new arrival, switching formula

Snicker Bar
09-06-2021, 04:04 PM
Well, this was supposed to be a cookout but have two babies on way; Tuff’s mom just picked up a weak , skinny failure to thrive baby from a person whose been using KMR. And , another just arrived, was found lying in middle of road.
We can start the hydration fluids on it , but the other, do I need to mix up KMR and Fox Valley ? And gradually go to straight Fox Valley?
Also have Ultraboost,

Getting weight on would be road kill baby now,

redwuff
09-06-2021, 04:18 PM
Just start rehydration and then use fox valley starting out slowly. Discard KMR!

Snicker Bar
09-06-2021, 04:27 PM
Ok will do!

So just mix full strength Fox Valley, and dilute a few feedings? Gradual until full strength, over 24 hrs?

redwuff
09-06-2021, 04:35 PM
Depending on the condition of KMR baby. If you go too fast getting baby on full strength the baby could pop out with diarrhea. Heck it might come in with diarrhea. If finder was feeding with KMR, then they also could have aspirated the baby. Check for AP.

If there is diarrhea don’t forget about adding BRAC to formula.

Snicker Bar
09-06-2021, 04:39 PM
On closer exam, it appears very dehydrated, so just mixed up the rehydration formula .

Thank you so much!! Been missing you , you have always been such a help!!

Tuff
09-06-2021, 05:06 PM

♥️♥️♥️♥️

redwuff
09-06-2021, 06:08 PM
Lucky little babies:Love_Icon

Tuff
09-06-2021, 08:15 PM
Lucky little babies:Love_Icon

I’m taking over the feedings and care, so Tuff’s gonna be mad but here we are. Female weighs 74g and male weights 71g. Female (Gretel) super fast but reluctant to the nipple. The male (Hansel) is slow eating with sneezing sometimes, very skinny, and was on the KMR. We hydrated him it’s a little better and we did a very diluted formula at the first feeding. Would it hurt him to have a dose of antibiotics due to the sneezing just to get ahead of what it may be. He has sneezed since I picked him up from its finder. No discharge at all just the sneezing at this point. No clicking nothing just seems week. So we clavimox 500mg. We have the dosage. Is there anything else we should do or think of doing?

Tuff
09-06-2021, 08:18 PM
Oh and we think they are about 7 weeks give or take. The male has both top and bottom teeth..😳

redwuff
09-07-2021, 06:53 AM
Wow, 7 weeks and 71 grams. Pretty tiny. Just take it slow till they get out of the woods. Putting weight on healthy babies is easy, but too much formula too soon will result in diarrhea. Diarrhea will set them back.

Slow and steady, slow and steady. Yes, I would do antibiotics. You might think about using Baytril instead of Clavamox. It works faster and does not cause diarrhea as Clavamox can.

Tuff
09-07-2021, 07:42 AM
Wow, 7 weeks and 71 grams. Pretty tiny. Just take it slow till they get out of the woods. Putting weight on healthy babies is easy, but too much formula too soon will result in diarrhea. Diarrhea will set them back.

Slow and steady, slow and steady. Yes, I would do antibiotics. You might think about using Baytril instead of Clavamox. It works faster and does not cause diarrhea as Clavamox can.

I may have Baytril here, liquid form, probably to old. I had it for my Pup when she broke her jaw. Which has been a couple years.

Tuff
09-07-2021, 10:59 AM
So has we have it Hansel was hungry and dehydrated. Poor baby, I didn’t have time to completely hydrate so we did a 50/50 split then split that again with water for the first feeding. Second feeding (which he went from 71g to 68g over night) 50/50 split again 1.5ml of that .5ml of water then we went to the plain 50/50 split and he was growling at the nipple and took 1ml of that. Gretel took 3.5ml of 50/50 split formula and was growling at the nipple and then was like I’m sleepy and needed a nap. Weighed in at 74-76g she will not sit still😂😂😂. Anyways Hansel is up playing and chewing on a rodent block and Gretel is trying to take a nap. Amazing at the turn around from KMR to FV. They are going to be a handful. 🥰🥰

Tuff
09-08-2021, 08:38 AM
As of this morning both are up alive and perky. Maybe a little dehydration still with Hansel but he is filling out his skin finally. Still bony to me but that will take time. Hansel weighs in at a whopping 78g, while Gretel came in at 78g. Hansel took 5.2ml of formula and Gretel was done at 5ml. Hansel’s eyes are open and clear no longer sunk in and sick looking. No diarrhea, no sneezing, nothing just the beginnings of a soon to be healthy boy!!!! It’s amazing what 24 hours and the proper care will do for a baby. On the road to a full recovery!!!!

Tuff
09-09-2021, 11:22 AM
Update on Hansel and Gretel…these babies are growing so fast!!!! Hansel is finally trying to catch up to big sister…this morning Hansel weighed in at 79g and took 5ml of formula. Gretel weighed in at 81g and took 5.3g of formula. These babies have made a quick turn around with the help and advice of some great rehabbers. Gretel is going to be so much like my Tuff, sassy at times and sweet as she can be, Hansel is going to be kind of off Standish but will warm up pretty quickly. They will steal your heart quickly. They still look to be 6-8 weeks. Hansel will curl his tail up some but I haven’t seen Gretel do that yet. They are going to be just fine.

HRT4SQRLS
09-09-2021, 12:34 PM
That’s great news Tuff. Don’t be stingy with the pics. :grin2

Tuff
09-09-2021, 04:05 PM
That’s great news Tuff. Don’t be stingy with the pics. :grin2

They weren’t happy about me waking them up after their nap!!!! Hansel definitely still smaller than Gretel. But both of them are truly beautiful little babies.

HRT4SQRLS
09-09-2021, 06:03 PM
Adorable. I believe you have a poser there. :grin2

redwuff
09-09-2021, 06:08 PM
Great pics. Babies look great!!!

Snicker Bar
09-10-2021, 07:04 PM
So behind here; so much has happened in last three days. Had to drop everything and pack and get on the road. Mom is failing fast. Just so grateful for Tuff’s mom showing up when she did. The babies have done great under her watch; went from lifeless skeletons to this.
There’s just no way I can juggle babies full time like I used to; part time maybe some. But as things are at the moment I would have been in a very bad way traveling . Got Doodles, Victoria, a baby cottontail Jon and two daughters headed to NY fast as can . Thank you for stopping by Monday, TM :)

Mel1959
09-10-2021, 07:13 PM
Sorry to hear about your mom. Safe travels. :grouphug

HRT4SQRLS
09-10-2021, 08:01 PM
I’m so sorry to hear that. Praying for safe travels and peace. :grouphug

Tuff
09-11-2021, 12:09 AM
So today they are both weighing in at 94g….my concern is this. Hansel seems like he may be a tad constipated. I added ultra boost to all three feedings today???! Did I screw up?? He peed like a ton and he stayed there for ever it seemed. Seemed like a lot for a tiny baby. I don’t remember Tuff peeing that much at one time at this age. Now what??? (Rub his belly) Poop looks good from Gretel (she pooped on me) but they are both in the same cage so I can’t really tell if his is ok or not….belly seemed big but he just finished off 6.5ml of formula also. I will look at it in the am before I feed him and see where we are. Anyways they are gaining weight and strength. Hansel is going to be a big play buddy and Gretel in going to be a snuggle bunny for sure.

Mel1959
09-11-2021, 06:46 AM
I’ve never had Ultraboost cause constipation. It should be mixed no more than 50/50 with formula. Try offering Hansel some water with clear Karo or apple juice in between feedings. Warm water soaks are also good as well as rubbing a little coconut oil around his rectum.

Tuff
09-11-2021, 07:47 AM
I’ve never had Ultraboost cause constipation. It should be mixed no more than 50/50 with formula. Try offering Hansel some water with clear Karo or apple juice in between feedings. Warm water soaks are also good as well as rubbing a little coconut oil around his rectum.

I will have to pick up some Karo today. Gosh love him. I mixed it 75/25 with formula. I have coconut oil, also apple baby food?

Mom
09-11-2021, 09:27 PM
I'd like to switch from esbalic to fox valley. Is that ok to do?

HRT4SQRLS
09-11-2021, 09:44 PM
I'd like to switch from esbalic to fox valley. Is that ok to do?

Yes it is. I would transition slowly so as to not upset the stomach. How old is your baby? Which FV?

Edit… I saw you other post…. 6-7weeks old. You would use the Fox Valley 20:50. Did you ever decide if Tommy is a boy?

Tuff
09-12-2021, 10:08 AM
So after the quick diversion of constipation in both the babies. Hansel’s cleared up pretty quick but it took us all day to clear up Gretel. She weighed 94g and Hansel weighed 99g. She lost a little weight from really not eating yesterday. We only got in one feeding and hydration for her..Hansel had two feedings and hydration. Back on the road to them growing and flourishing.

redwuff
09-12-2021, 12:38 PM
I would bet that the constipation in your babies came from 32/40. We had a problem a few years back with it turning to cement in the gut. Nick who manufactures Fox valley never would believe that there was a problem with 32/40. So glad you got the babies off that formula. They should have smooth sailing here on out!

Tuff
09-15-2021, 02:26 PM
These babies are growing up so stinking fast!!!!319492

This morning they both weighed in at 113g man are they growing. Not as fast as I would like but they are some really cute babies…thank you everyone for the help with these two they are just to precious!!!

Tuff
09-15-2021, 07:09 PM
I would bet that the constipation in your babies came from 32/40. We had a problem a few years back with it turning to cement in the gut. Nick who manufactures Fox valley never would believe that there was a problem with 32/40. So glad you got the babies off that formula. They should have smooth sailing here on out!

It actually came from the ultra boost..that’s going back to Marie’s house lol. I will never use it again. I will learn how to add the heavy whipping cream.

Mel1959
09-15-2021, 07:22 PM
I don’t think it’s the ultraboost. I have NEVER had a problem using it with any baby squirrels, opossums or raccoons I’ve rehabbed. I’ve successfully used it on both of my dwarf babies, even with Joeys sluggish gut. Please don’t blame the Ultraboost, when it’s been widely known that FV 32/40 has had a problem causing cement gut for years.

Tuff
09-15-2021, 10:37 PM
I don’t think it’s the ultraboost. I have NEVER had a problem using it with any baby squirrels, opossums or raccoons I’ve rehabbed. I’ve successfully used it on both of my dwarf babies, even with Joeys sluggish gut. Please don’t blame the Ultraboost, when it’s been widely known that FV 32/40 has had a problem causing cement gut for years.

I was using 20/50 not 32/40….the problem started when I started the ultra boost.

Tuff
09-20-2021, 10:12 AM
Gosh how these two steal your heart so quickly. Both of them are approaching 150g each. Both gaining weight and growing in personality so quickly!!!:Love_Icon

https://youtube.com/shorts/gmgx2jNWRZo?feature=share

I thought everyone would enjoy the update. I’m still thinking they are around 8 weeks now, still not for sure. They have front teeth no back teeth yet lol..

redwuff
09-20-2021, 10:37 AM
Babies look great!:Love_Icon