PDA

View Full Version : Pet Grey Squirrel - Lesion under arm??

DavidDane
08-29-2021, 03:54 PM
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if you guys could look at these pictures and see what this might be under my pet squirrel Rockets arm? I take him out everyday to play on my screened in porch and I'm just now noticing it. It feels a bit rough to the touch. Any ideas?? Concerned

HRT4SQRLS
08-29-2021, 03:59 PM
Hi David, I remember you. :)

Humm:thinking I don’t know what that is. Is that a tiny blood blister under the second bump? You could wipe it with dilute Betadyne. It doesn’t look too bad right now but I would sure watch it to make sure it doesn’t get worse.

DavidDane
08-29-2021, 04:05 PM
Hey there:) Nice to see you again! Yeah I think it might be. It kinda looks kinda like one. I haven't seen him scratching it alot or anything. The lumps feel rough, a little flaky or scaly sort of. What is Betadyne and where can I get that?

HRT4SQRLS
08-29-2021, 04:28 PM
Actually, I spelled it wrong. It is spelled Betadine. The generic is provodine iodine. You can get the generic cheaper at any pharmacy or even Publix. It is an antiseptic. Dilute it with water and apply to the lumps.

CritterMom
08-29-2021, 05:12 PM
Actually, I spelled it wrong. It is spelled Betadine. The generic is provodine iodine. You can get the generic cheaper at any pharmacy or even Publix. It is an antiseptic. Dilute it with water and apply to the lumps.

20-25 drops to 1/4 cup water - doesn't burn or sting. Just wet the area and let it dry naturally. Any drug store, Target, Walmart has it in the wound care area.

DavidDane
08-29-2021, 05:16 PM
Thanks alot you two! I actually just bought the 8 oz bottle because that's all they had. Any ideas on how to dilute that? I don't have droppers but I do have syringes for baby squirrels...

Diggie's Friend
08-29-2021, 05:56 PM
I don't like the look of what appears to be two identical bumps perhaps reminiscent of insect bites, stings, or other related insect issue.
I hate to see this develop into something potentially worse. Since it has as yet to be identified, consider sending the closeup of the bumps onto a vet to have a look at ASAP is advisable. Dr. E. at Ravenwood Veterinary hospital may be able to help in this regard.

DavidDane
08-29-2021, 06:05 PM
Someone I know also mentioned a possible abscess? Does this look like that? And if so, what would I do?

Diggie's Friend
08-29-2021, 06:14 PM
I don't think that is what this is, sorry I can't help more to identify the cause of these sudden eruptions that moreover look identical. I can only then urge you to contact a squirrel vet in Florida sending them the closeup photo; rather than to wait to see what the bumps turn out to be. :Phone Better safe than sorry.

CritterMom
08-29-2021, 06:14 PM
Thanks alot you two! I actually just bought the 8 oz bottle because that's all they had. Any ideas on how to dilute that? I don't have droppers but I do have syringes for baby squirrels...

The cap usually has a hole in it that allows for drops. It isn't necessary to be that exact - you just don't need to use it straight. You can certainly use a syringe and just dispense drops instead of a stream.

DavidDane
08-29-2021, 06:15 PM
Sure, I could try to contact him and send him pictures. Do you happen to have his information? And do you guys happen to know any good vets in the Tampa area? Port orange is a bit far

Diggie's Friend
08-29-2021, 06:21 PM
Dr. Emerson - Ravenwood Veterinary Hospital. She has expertise in squirrels and comes highly recommended.

I sent you a link to her contact webpage.

CritterMom
08-29-2021, 06:28 PM
The cap usually has a hole in it that allows for drops. It isn't necessary to be that exact - you just don't need to use it straight. You can certainly use a syringe and just dispense drops instead of a stream.

I ran downstairs and did some measuring. 1/4 teaspoon to 1/4 cup water.

DavidDane
08-29-2021, 06:29 PM
Thanks for that! Will give her a call in the morning. I do have an occasional wasp that will come on my porch. Maybe it could be a sting?

DavidDane
08-29-2021, 06:30 PM
Thanks CritterMom!

CritterMom
08-29-2021, 06:35 PM
Start a new thread and title it something like "Anyone know of a squirrel vet in Tampa area?" so it gets looked at. It seems to me that there IS but I can't remember who it is. Anyone who DOES will look at and answer that post.

HRT4SQRLS
08-29-2021, 06:37 PM
Dr Nicole Zellner is in Largo. She is very good with squirrels also. To be honest with you, it is quite difficult to get into a vet right now because of COVID. I hate the drop off thing that vets are doing. Unless it was an emergency I’m not sure I would ‘drop off’ a squirrel due to the stress factor.

My first thought was ant bites but it’s just a guess. IMO, it doesn’t look inflamed/red or anything that would make me think it’s going bad. If of course that changes, you are just a phone call away from Dr.Zellner. She is MUCH closer to you than DrE.

DavidDane
08-29-2021, 06:42 PM
Yeah I'm not happy about the drop off thing at all. I did that with my flier last year to a vet who thought she knew what she was doing. She ended up giving him too much of a sedative and he passed. Very upset about that still. Yeah maybe I can call both vets tomorrow and see if they will let me send them the pictures and go from there

HRT4SQRLS
08-29-2021, 06:49 PM
Yeah I'm not happy about the drop off thing at all. I did that with my flier last year to a vet who thought she knew what she was doing. She ended up giving him too much of a sedative and he passed. Very upset about that still. Yeah maybe I can call both vets tomorrow and see if they will let me send them the pictures and go from there

Now that you mention it, I do remember that. So sad.

DavidDane
08-29-2021, 09:43 PM
Yeah it really was Here are some updated pictures that I took tonight. I'm not sure if he's been licking them trying to clean them, or scratching them. They appear a little less swollen I think and a little more oozy....

Diggie's Friend
08-29-2021, 11:48 PM
You mentioned wasps; some insects including some wasps, are known to lay their eggs in animals in the summer months. It could just as well be a sting from a wasp, or spider bites, or that of some other insect. Yet, whatever has caused this, getting a veterinarian to at least look at the original photos asap is advisable. Having cared for a squirrel for over a decade, I tend to aim at the cautious side by seeking professional support to determine the nature of potential lesions, bites, etc., that appear suddenly; rather than waiting in hope that the issue will resolve on its own.

DavidDane
08-30-2021, 12:54 AM
Yep I agree:) I appreciate the advice and the information. I'll call both vets first thing in the morning and see if I can send them the pictures

Diggie's Friend
08-30-2021, 12:27 PM
See PM

DavidDane
08-31-2021, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm still trying to find a vet that will look at the pictures. I was just able to email some to Dr. Emerson this morning but haven't talked to her yet. I'm going to post a couple of pictures from yesterday morning and then from this morning and see what you guys think? The two that look more healed are from yesterday and the two that are a little more irritated are from this morning. He was scratching it