PDA

View Full Version : Everest: cataracts

ConfusedMuse
08-26-2021, 06:00 PM
Everest is a 10 yo male in captivity since about age three weeks. He was unreleasable due to malformed foot. Google says a squirrel can live 20 years in captivity so cataracts are concerning since he's barely middle age... This development has been only in last two months.

He is otherwise in good health. He eats 2 Henry's Picky Blocks per day (this year, before that was Healthy Blocks), plus romaine lettuce, sugar snap peas, sweet potato, red grapes and a pistachio, daily. His mom is worried about adding pet shop toys or nutrients (like elk antler or cuttlebone). It seems a little early for old age. Is there a nutrient he is missing? Any advice? Something to reverse this early aging?

ConfusedMuse
08-26-2021, 06:07 PM
Note: his cage it's in a window that faces north and blind is open during day. In summer he gets odd sores on his belly but I suspect that is because he's stressing during mating season (self stim).

He receives no supplements. He has a slate stone to keep nails from overgrowing (with dubious success) and wood to gnaw to keep teeth short (with good success,). The cataracts seem like early onset so I really wonder if he needs a supplement. He is nearly blind and it is very recent.

Spanky
08-26-2021, 06:52 PM
I hope this does not come as too much a shock, but your Everest really is quite old. The "20 year old" squirrel in captivity is the extreme exception and not the rule.

Most of us, I am quite sure, consider Everest a senior and well past middle aged. Everest is a very lucky bot to have lived an entire decade, no doubt in large part to his attentive caretaker and friend.

I cannot pass long any useful knowledge on supplements that may improve things, but hopefully others will... there is a wealth of nutritionally informed folks on TSB.

HRT4SQRLS
08-26-2021, 09:08 PM
Yes, I agree with Spanky. 10 is definitely a senior citizen. I have heard of one squirrel that was documented to live to 22yo. That was unheard of. It would be comparable to a human that lived to 120. Sure it’s possible but it would be extremely rare. We see quite a few squirrels that live to be 15 but most of those find their way to TheSquirrelBoard because they are failing due to advanced age. 12-13 seems to be a reasonable elderly squirrel.

SO, age is probably the cause of the cataracts. There could also be diabetes as an underlying cause. In baby squirrels a deficiency of fatty acids can cause juvenile cataracts. Dehydration can also cause clouding of the eyes so you might try pushing hydration. I wish I could offer more.

ConfusedMuse
08-27-2021, 06:33 AM
Thank you so much. Yes, I assumed he was a senior despite internet lol. I wondered if maybe senior diets should change just as their needs change as they grow.

Should I recommend a lower-sugar treat than a grape? Maybe a berry, since they're higher in fiber? That would also help him retain hydration better, I assume. He didn't seem dehydrated. Maybe 2 pistachios per day to increase fatty acids, or something higher in oil like a black walnut?