PDA

View Full Version : Doing the best I can

JSA1301
08-24-2021, 09:30 AM
I have a baby I found on August 6th. I'm estimating him to be about 5 almost 6 weeks old now.
I just have a few questions to make sure I'm giving him the best care possible.

He has been getting esbilac puppy formula 4 times a day and is eating from 13-14 ml each feeding.
I have read about the 5-7% rule, he is weighing 140 g at the moment which would put him at 7-9 ml per feeding, however when I was only giving him that much he still seemed hungry so I started giving him more. His poop looks healthy and he seems happy so is this okay?

I have been feeding him every 6 hours and then he goes 8 hours over night.

I have bought Henrys blocks and he does not seem interested in them yet at all, am I doing something wrong or is he just still too young? How long can I leave the blocks in his cage before I need to change them?

Also, his eyes are open and have been for about a week now, but he doesn't seem to be able to see, I'm worried he may be blind as he does not track the syringe with his eyes at all and does not react if I wave my fingers near his eyes unless I touch his whiskers.

Does anyone have any other tips that can help me ensure my baby is getting everything he needs?

A few pictures of him, his name is Papi

sundoesshine
08-24-2021, 10:16 AM
Also, his eyes are open and have been for about a week now, but he doesn't seem to be able to see, I'm worried he may be blind as he does not track the syringe with his eyes at all and does not react if I wave my fingers near his eyes unless I touch his whiskers.

Not sure what the norm is, but with my guy who we found around the same age, we were also worried about him being blind due to the same reasons but yes, he did get over it. It might have taken a week or two.

CritterMom
08-24-2021, 12:01 PM
As long as his poops look good and he isn't bloating, he can eat more formula. The 5-7% is a guideline. I think that it is because he is eating 4 times a day - I would tend to feed him a little less and add a feeding for the next week. And I agree with the eyes thing - they don't really need or use their eyes at this point - they would normally be jammed in a tiny nest with siblings and as long as they can sniff out one of Mom's nipples, it's all good. Give him a little longer.

If his eyes opened a week ago he is right around 6 weeks old. Mama keeps them in the nest eating nothing but milk for about another month. But in captivity, with no siblings to crawl over and stomp on, they start investigating their surroundings - with their mouths, and if they stumble on something yummy, well, they eventually try it! The Henrys have no preservatives and are not inexpensive, so I would cut them in half or even quarters and give him those until he begins to actually consume them. Pitch what is left at the end of the day. If you give small pieces you won't feel so much like you are throwing away $$$!

JSA1301
08-24-2021, 04:11 PM
As long as his poops look good and he isn't bloating, he can eat more formula. The 5-7% is a guideline. I think that it is because he is eating 4 times a day - I would tend to feed him a little less and add a feeding for the next week.

So about how long should he be going in between feedings if I do 5 a day? And how important is it to be on a set schedule as far as feedings go? I've been pretty rigid with it just because I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Also how long can he go as far as over night? He always seems extra hungry in the mornings I usually feed him around midnight and then at 7 AM but I am more than willing to get up earlier if you think he needs it.

I'm sorry for asking so many questions😬

CritterMom
08-24-2021, 06:23 PM
So about how long should he be going in between feedings if I do 5 a day? And how important is it to be on a set schedule as far as feedings go? I've been pretty rigid with it just because I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Also how long can he go as far as over night? He always seems extra hungry in the mornings I usually feed him around midnight and then at 7 AM but I am more than willing to get up earlier if you think he needs it.

I'm sorry for asking so many questions😬

Silly! That is what we are here for! (and the cute pics.) Can you get up at 6? So, 6AM, 10:30AM, 3PM, 7:30PM, midnight. Approximately. If he wants it, give him a little more at midnight to tide him over.

In a week he will have gained some more weight and you can drop to 4 a day with more per serving.

JSA1301
08-24-2021, 08:27 PM
Silly! That is what we are here for! (and the cute pics.) Can you get up at 6? So, 6AM, 10:30AM, 3PM, 7:30PM, midnight. Approximately. If he wants it, give him a little more at midnight to tide him over.

In a week he will have gained some more weight and you can drop to 4 a day with more per serving.

Yes I can do this for sure, thank you so much! TSB has been so much help!