PDA

View Full Version : What could this bump be?

HaileyJ
08-20-2021, 09:50 PM

Hi all.

A couple of months ago I noticed a bump come up on my NR gray squirrel Gus. It looked very much like a nipple so I’ve left it alone. It now looks like this, though not as red as the flash makes it seem. It hasn’t grown anymore since reaching this size. It developed very much like a mole would on a human. It is soft in texture and very much resembles a blister that has never popped. He has not shown any behavior or appetite changes. It also doesn’t bother him to have it checked out. There is no discomfort or pain. Around the time it showed up I had noticed some black sugar ants. Could this be a bite that needs antibiotics? Just wondering if anyone has seen something similar.

stepnstone
08-20-2021, 10:50 PM

Hi all.
A couple of months ago I noticed a bump come up on my NR gray squirrel Gus. It looked very much like a nipple so I’ve left it alone. It now looks like this, though not as red as the flash makes it seem. It hasn’t grown anymore since reaching this size. It developed very much like a mole would on a human. It is soft in texture and very much resembles a blister that has never popped. He has not shown any behavior or appetite changes. It also doesn’t bother him to have it checked out. There is no discomfort or pain. Around the time it showed up I had noticed some black sugar ants. Could this be a bite that needs antibiotics? Just wondering if anyone has seen something similar.

I can't say for certain what it is but ant bite is a possibility, I wouldn't turn to antibiotics for this at this stage.
What I will recommend is keeping it treated/ washed with a diluted Betadine solution. Betadine is a Povidone-iodine disinfectant that treats many skin wounds and can be purchased at most drug stores.

HaileyJ
09-19-2021, 11:01 PM
Bumping this as I’m still unsure what it is. I swear it looks like a wart or a mole. It doesn’t bother him. Still no changes in behavior or appetite.

Mel1959
09-20-2021, 07:01 AM
It could be either of the things you suggested. I’ve never seen something like that on a squirrel, but there’s no reason to think that skin discoloration can’t occur in this species. Has it gotten bigger since you initially noticed it? Does it cause any discomfort? Did you try treating it with diluted betadine, as was suggested?

Do you have access to a vet for evaluation? If so, then it might be a good idea to take your little one in for an exam and to determine what it is. There are a couple of vets in Tennessee that see squirrels. I can send you the info if you’re interested.

If you don’t have vet access, and it’s not creating any problems as mentioned above, then I think I’d just watch it. From your latest picture the surrounding skin doesn’t look inflamed.

HaileyJ
09-20-2021, 09:20 AM
Hi! Nothing has changed. I don’t think he even knows it’s there honestly. I did do betadyne and I called a vet yesterday and was advised to possibly try some antihistamine cream as well. It’s right on the surface of the skin. As in, it doesn’t feel like it goes deep or anything. I wouldn’t mind taking the info on the vets you know of just for reference. I’ve also reached out to a couple wildlife rehabilitations and they’ve said it’s probably nothing to worry about.

It could be either of the things you suggested. I’ve never seen something like that on a squirrel, but there’s no reason to think that skin discoloration can’t occur in this species. Has it gotten bigger since you initially noticed it? Does it cause any discomfort? Did you try treating it with diluted betadine, as was suggested?

Do you have access to a vet for evaluation? If so, then it might be a good idea to take your little one in for an exam and to determine what it is. There are a couple of vets in Tennessee that see squirrels. I can send you the info if you’re interested.

If you don’t have vet access, and it’s not creating any problems as mentioned above, then I think I’d just watch it. From your latest picture the surrounding skin doesn’t look inflamed.