PDA

View Full Version : Frozen vegetables

KCullen
08-20-2021, 11:20 AM
This may seem kind of odd, but is it ok for my 5 mo old Eastern Gray to eat frozen vegetables? I leave early in the AM for work, so I have been leaving him frozen vegetables and 2 Henry blocks in the AM and a Henry block + a nut from the freezer at bed time (1 pecan). He doesn't always wake up as he's a grumpy morning squirrel when I leave, often popping his head out of his drey hammock for a stroke of his head before going back to bed. I figured the little veggie chunks (sweet potato, carrots, beets, parsnips) would thaw. I saw him eating them frozen and ignoring a fresh carrot? The veggies are never seasoned in any way. He likes raw carrots and sweet potatoes, but he shows a significant preference for cold things. He goes after my drinks (usually ice water) when cold, sticks to his water bottle otherwise. If the house a/c temp is above 75 F, he flops across the standing fan and glares at me until I turn it on. He has rodent blocks, leaves, branches, grasses, sticks, etc wild foods in between his feedings, lots to chew on, a big enclosure, loads of attention and hours outside of his enclosure daily. Joe seems to HATE being hot, and does not appreciate the Florida climate, so I planned for a Fall release with supplemental food in his "apartment." Is this heat aversion normal? Is it ok for him to have frozen stuff? His temperature and health are good, he's just a hot blooded mess I guess?

Rock Monkey
08-20-2021, 02:06 PM
Is it ok for him to have frozen stuff?

I would be concerned that he might hurt his teeth. Furthermore, quality fresh vegetables always tastes better and are better for them. Squirrels have a short gut, food doesn't spend much time in the digestive system. I don't think you have to worry about anything going bad, so long as you clean out any cached perishable foods. Most fresh vegetables will just shrivel up and dry out over time.