PDA

View Full Version : What would cause sudden increase in agression?

jtb
08-18-2021, 12:58 PM
Hi,

First time poster here. I have a fox squirrel that I have been taking care of since he was found this last winter in my driveway, and his family didn't come for him. He is ~6 months old, healthy (according to vet), and regularly eats a diet of rodent blocks, nuts, veggies, fruit, flowers, pinecones, and sticks. He had a brief onset of MBD that was cured when he started eating calcium tablets I put in his food.

Over the past week, his aggressiveness has increased dramatically. When I will put food in his crate he will start chattering and sometimes will bite my hand before I take it out. We play a game where he will chase me around the house and when he catches me he will nibble on my toes - however lately when I take my foot away he will start "growling" and chattering and will bite my toes or my hands when I pick him up. These bites routinely draw blood and are not being done out of affection. He sometimes will start chattering when someone gets close to his crate, even if they are just passing by.

Interestingly enough, we will play just like normal. It just seems like whatever is causing him to be aggressive is happening more frequently and I don't know what it is.

Does anyone know what would cause this behavior? Taking care of him has been extremely rewarding but the aggressive behavior is alarming.

Thanks,

Jon

CritterMom
08-18-2021, 01:28 PM
First, make sure he doesn't have ANY food stashes - not in his cage, not in other areas, and make sure he doesn't create new ones. He is driven by instinct to stash food and DEFEND it so it is up to you to make sure he doesn't have any. Particularly triggering are nuts in the shell.

Also, it is coming on fall and lots of hormones come into play for a while. He is going through his first fall and his first big rush of hormones so this one will likely be his worst, but my almost 5 year old Zeke is chattering at me right now, too!

Watch your energy level. Be CALM. Don't yell and certainly don't swat him - you will lose his trust AND he will open up the biggest can of whuppass on you that you have ever seen! When he chatters and shows those signs, withdraw, either by leaving the room, or just remove your attention from him. Wear shoes and anything else you need to prevent bites. Don't try talking to him to calm him down - human voices excite them. Just sit and be calm and think what you are wanting to say to him to calm him. They read your energy, not the words you say.

Or, if he is in good health, you could start transitioning him to live in the wild.