PDA

View Full Version : Baby Squirrel found after storm

Squirrelygirl63
09-13-2007, 11:51 AM
A friend called me this morning to come get a baby squirrel found after Humberto torn down trees around her house. Got over there to find baby in container --looks to be about 6weeks old, eyes open and no signs of injury. She is now on heat and in a quiet area of the living room. Don't think she is dehydrated as she was found about 4 hours after the storm came thru. What really made me cry was the 3 pinkies found dead near by!
Should I give her pedilite before trying her on formula? I have Epsilac and everthing else needed. What strength on the Epsilac to start? I have raised squirrels before and am constantly on THE Squirrel Board (too much according to hubby) so will greatfully appreciate any and all directions!
Squirrellygirl63

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Is it possible to try to reunite the little guy with his mom? They probably got separated in the storm. His real mom can provide better care for him than anyone else. If his nest was destroyed, his mom will have a backup nest to take him to. Can you try putting him back out to see if she comes for him?

Squirrelygirl63
09-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Do to the fact that so many trees are down and there is standing water every where and also the dogs have got two grown squirrels already this morning --- I don't think it is a good idea. Also, she lives about 15 miles from me and I had a hard time getting there because of roads flooded and downed power lines.

Critter_Queen
09-13-2007, 02:09 PM
I agree with you that reuniting in this case is probably unlikely and dangerous for the baby.

I would do the pinch test on the skin and see how many seconds it takes to go back into place.

It's always a good idea to start with pedialyte until you see the color of the pee...if it's light yellow or clear, you can start working your way up with the formula. Do you have powder or pre-mixed-liquid Esbilac?

Squirrelygirl63
09-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Baby girl is not dehydrated from testing results. She took about 3 cc of pedialite and pee is clear. Will try formula Epsilac (Powder) in an hour or so.. trying to get electric company over NOW as I have a Hot line down in my yard! Thanks for hanging in here with me, Squirrelygirl63

Critter_Queen
09-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Start the powdered Esbilac at 1 part powder to four parts water (2 feedings), then three (two feedings), then two (which will be full-strength when it's 1 part powder/2 parts water) this will help her tummy adjust from mom's milk to the Esbilac. Watch for soft stools during this transition, if they get soft, slow the transition a little and see if that resolves it.

Good luck!!! Keep us posted and get that powerline outta there! :eek: :grouphug

ETA: You could probably safely give 6cc per feeding orally. Any chance you have a gram scale handy?? :D

thundersquirrel
09-13-2007, 04:59 PM
also, since you're kind of new to this, instead of us asking a bunch of questions (which may have very obvious answers to you) could you tell us the basic care you're giving? mention anything and everything, we like to be thorough. :) talk it up!

also, what state do you live in, if you don't mind saying?

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize the storm was that bad. Reuniting would definetely be too dangerous in this case and shouldn't be attempted. Follow CQs feeding schedule and you should be good to go. Good luck with the little tyke!

Squirrelygirl63
09-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Hey all, I am back online sorry about the delay in updating but I just got electricity back!
My little girl is doing great! Peeing,pooping and eating great. She is refushing the formula but is eating, green beans(dipped in yougart) boccolli,
grapes, pears, apples and walnuts. Top teeth are in and she is also chewing on a cutter bone. She has a shallow dish of water in with her and I also dip her food in water before feeding. She would not stay on heat source but don't blame her as it is probably at least 85 in that part of the house!
I can not say how grateful I am for all the wonderful people on this board and all of the education I have gained from reading this forum!
I will get a scale tomorrow so that I can keep track of her weight, already have the full spectrum light and can use it now that eletricity is on.
Sorry to report that two more babies were found but could not be saved as they had been bitten all over by fireants! Dam things has even killed a baby calf we had a while back.
Again thanks for all the support and knowledge gained from each and everyone who post on this board!:wahoo :jump mjs

Squirrelygirl63
09-15-2007, 02:32 PM
I am going to try to post a picture of Adoree so all can see something beautiful that came out of ugly Hurricane Humberto!

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-15-2007, 03:37 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! How cute! Sounds like you are doing a great job with the little guy. He looks very healthy.

Sorry to hear about the other two babies :sad

Squirrelygirl63
09-16-2007, 04:47 PM
:thumbsup Thankfully, my little girl, Adoree, can be removed from the emergency thread except, I don't know how!
She is back taking her Esbilac as long as part of the water is cran-apple juice. She is eating her veggies real well and loves rose hips for dessert. She weights 135 grams today (first time to weigh her). That sounds good to me?? Pee and poop still good. She is Adoree-able!! :rotfl :wahoo

Mars
09-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Sounds perfect.:thumbsup You've done a wonderful job. :)

4skwerlz
09-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Great news! Now, we need more pics! :Love_Icon