PDA

View Full Version : Baby Raccoon Recovered

mammatrees
07-05-2021, 12:01 AM
Good evening,

A friend delivered a malnourished 3 week old to me on July 2nd. She had crusty eyes and diarrhea. My friend was not aware that they should not be fed right away and was giving her baby formula. I immediately started on a diluted KMR with probiotics, then did a pedialyte flush with probiotics.

She was found blindly wandering in the road and was almost hit by my friend.

She does not have any macro parasites that I have seen. Her skin was dry and she was itching the first day and a half. Rehydrating her and wiping down her fur has since helped with that.

I started rehydrating her with pedialyte and probiotics to see if that was causing the diarrhea. I was concerned about distemper, but she was eager to eat and wasn't showing any other signs.

The diarrhea stopped and she began to rehydrate really well yesterday. I got her eyes cleaned up and the crust/infection seems to be gone already. She also has a lot more energy today; quite a bit of spunk for 337g.

I am located in salt lake city and would like to find a reliable and highly recommended licensed rehabber to take her in. I would love to know that she is being raised with siblings.

My friend called around and could not find a rehab in the local area that was taking babies. She was informed that babies in our area would be euthanized if brought in. I am not sure why and I am concerned. She has a lot of fight and seems to be on the right track to be a strong, healthy baby.

Please advise accordingly.

Quartermaster
09-15-2021, 07:03 PM
My friend called around and could not find a rehab in the local area that was taking babies. She was informed that babies in our area would be euthanized if brought in. I am not sure why and I am concerned. She has a lot of fight and seems to be on the right track to be a strong, healthy baby.

Please advise accordingly.

Racoons are not native to Utah and are classified as an invasive species. From what I understand, it is illegal to rescue/rehab raccoons in Utah, and that would be why the cubs would be euthanized.

This not an uncommon thing. In WA when fox squirrel kits brought to a rehabber, the rehabber is required to euthanize them as fox squirrels are invasive in WA.

SquirrelyDan
09-20-2021, 03:55 AM
Could you get her transported to a state where rehabbing is allowed? Even if it’s illegal…it could be the raccoon Underground Railroad. I don’t know the transport laws, but it’s legal to rehab them in Texas, and I always vaccinate them before release, so in my opinion that contributes to herd immunity for distemper and rabies and ends up benefitting other animals as well as people! If you can get her to TX, I’ll help. I just can’t leave my house for more than a couple of hours during baby season let alone interstate travel. :-/

Mel1959
09-20-2021, 06:18 AM
Utah to Texas is a really long trip, IMO. Are you up for rehabbing her yourself? I will guide you if you are. There is nothing more joyous than rehabbing raccoons, IMO. They are spunky and affectionate, mischievous and loving.

KMR is the proper food. They are fed with a baby bottle and are burped after feeding. They are stimulated to void the same as baby squirrels.

I purchased a second hand large collapsible dog kennel to house mine in. They like to climb and will use a cat tower, just like squirrels. When young they will be diurnal for the most part.

The hardest part I found about raising raccoons is weaning them from their bottle….they typically love it….and letting them go when the time comes. :Love_Icon

Traveling to Colorado might be an option. I have a few rehab resources there, but you’d want to call them prior to find out how they handle baby raccoons. Send me a private message if you want more info.