PDA

View Full Version : Prefers the ground to trees?

ADawn
06-06-2021, 11:16 PM
Hi, I previously posted a question about Biscuit. She is a one eyed grey squirrel. I found her when she was at least 6 weeks old and just started the slow release process. She might be about 4 months now. Her cage is 8 feet high and does have large sticks and branches in it. The first two times she came out of her cage she stuck to the maple tree her cage is against. She is not the best climber but was working on it. She would slip a lot and moved slow but was showing improvement. But today when she came out she discovered the ground and loved it. She stayed on the ground for the rest of the day until around 730 when I was able to walk up to her and pick her up and then I locked her up for the night so I could have some peace of mind. I worry that she is too comfortable on the ground and not spending time in the trees. Plus she was running and jumping at my chickens- a lot which was very cute and funny but she doesn't seem to show fear. Is she too young to be released or is all this normal. I just worry that tomorrow I won't know where she has run off to and she will be out and not make it back and stay on the ground where she is much more vulnerable. Thank you. I've attached pics of her good eye, missing eye, release cage and her in the maple. 318594318595318596318597

Chirps
06-06-2021, 11:50 PM
Hi! Wow, she's a cutie! I hope someone with more experience will see this and guide you. I would have exactly the same concerns as you, especially where the chickens are concerned. You don't have a rooster or broody hen/s I hope? They might attack her.

Maybe she was enjoying the ground because it was easy to negotiate, and there were a lot of new things to explore? Maybe when the novelty wears off she'll devote more energy to the trees? I would worry that she wouldn't have the wherewithal to try to go UP if something alarmed her. Have you ever observed anything spook her and her reactions? Like does she know to bolt UP and seek cover? What's your hawk situation? My chickens and squirrels know each other's alarm calls, especially where raptors are concerned. Are you able to just be around while she explores so you can observe how she interacts in her world? Are there any wilds around that she can observe and catch a clue from?

How long has she been in the release cage? I think two weeks is the minimum most people use so the squirrel gets familiar with everything first. If you're past all that and it's TIME, then you're at the Prayin' and Hopin' stage.

ADawn
06-07-2021, 08:52 PM
I decided that we probably are at the point where we are just prayin' and hopin'. It seems mean to keep her locked up in the release cage for longer because I am freaking out. I let her out this morning and she spent a little time in the trees before heading to the ground. I stayed with her for awhile but forced myself to walk away. No roosters--just 10 docile hens. Some hawks on occasion but not a lot. An occasional cat... I'm hoping that with every day she becomes more and more cautious so that she won't even come to me anymore. Thanks for the reply. It's great to know that I am not alone in this.

Rock Monkey
06-08-2021, 09:55 AM
They have a way of finding a place deep in our hearts, especially singletons. Letting them go is so hard, in your case, given her condition, so much harder.

They are genetically wired to be in the trees. Hopefully that instinct will get stronger and stronger.

I would think it would be a good idea to continue to provide her some food. I would suggest placing the feeding station up in a tree. It doesn't have to be way up there, but off the ground.

Also some trees are easier to climb than others. When I was looking for a tree in which to place her house, I made sure the tree had rugged bark and made sure it wasn't covered in lichen. The bark of the tree in the picture looks pretty smooth. That may be part of the problem. Oaks, pecans, and hickories tend to have nice, chunky bark.

Some people trim their squirrels nails, I am hoping hers weren't trimmed.

Spanky
06-08-2021, 10:16 AM
In my experience releases do usually spend their first few days of freedom exploring the ground more than the trees. Some will be in the trees in just a day or two, others take 5 days or more to discover the wonderfulness of the treetops, their true home / domain.

Just the opposite of wild squirrels that grew up in the trees that will explore 5 - 10 feet up and down from their dreys and when they finally explore the ground they are very apprehensive.

I agree with RM's nail trimming comment... squirrels that are going to be released should never have their nails trimmed (I don't trim the NR's either).

TubeDriver
06-08-2021, 04:21 PM
I agree with Spanky's statements 100%. I had 1-2 releases that seemed overly fond of the ground but after a day or two they migrated towards trees. Once they are out overnight, they 100% should not be on the ground, that would be a huge concern. But as long as this is only for periods during the day, I would not worry too much (truthfully, I worry about everything but that is just the way it is, we rescue and release, and then we worry).:grouphug

You said she is not the best climber? I would try to monitor her to see if that changes, she should get better fast when she starts spending more time in the trees.

ADawn
06-11-2021, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the responses. I think she may be acting more normally then. No, no nail trimming. I hate trimming my dogs' nails. I can only image how hard it would be to trim a squirrels. She is getting better at the climbing and jumping in the trees. Not up to the others yet but she is working on it. She still likes being on the ground and digging but I am seeing more of a balance lately. She still comes home in the evening so, so far so good. I see how happy is out exploring but I do worry about that sweet girl!!!