PDA

View Full Version : baby flyer

Brenda I
09-12-2007, 02:37 PM
I have a baby male Southern Flyer, He is about 5-6 weeks old. I got him from a woman who only had him for 2 days, but she was feeding him "scaulded milk formula". He was rehydrated, but that's about all. I've had him for two (2) weeks now and he STILL has diarrhea. I'm using Esblic 2 to 1 with a tiny bit of whipping cream and a bit of plain yogurt. (The Esblic is 2nd stage puppy and is lower in fat than the regular).
I'm very concerned about his diarrhea. I have given him a tiny drop of Kayo (the good kind) twice now and still no luck. He is very active, eyes open, belly hair growing in.
Is it too early to introduce solid food? What can I do to elimiate the diarrhea?
Many--many thanks Brenda I

Mars
09-12-2007, 03:08 PM
:wave123 :Welcome :wave123

I would back him off formula fro 24 hours and just give hydrations fluids to flush his system. Then try bring him back up on to a dilute formula and slowly over the next couple of day bring it back to full strength. ANd if his eyes are open, yes, you can start introducing solids. :)

Brenda I
09-13-2007, 12:50 AM
thanks Gamma, Sofie has always been a squirrel with an attitude-she wants what she wants when she wants it!! Don't know where she gets it from!!

BI:thankyou

Brenda I
09-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Thank you so much, Gamma. I did contact her and she was a great help--now if I can just get this little fighter better!!
BI:thankyou

annie p
10-13-2007, 08:54 AM
I also have a baby flying squirrel. I found him last week in my cats mouth. He is completely healthy! I couldn't believe Dutch didn't eat him!
His Momma did a great job because I don't believe he is more than 6 weeks old but he eats nuts and fruit already. He loves oranges too. Unfortunately Dutch killed his siblings.
He has bonded with me really fast. When I found him we were going to release him,but after some research (never had a squirrel before) decided to keep him if he would have us. He goes everywhere with me....Target the Pharmacy, he even went on a trip to the vet when I brought my dog the other day. My vet said they would treat him if need be.
For now he is happy hanging out with me, nesting in my pony tail.
Alot of that I got info from say that flying squirrels make excellent pets, different from a grey squirrel, is this true?

darrakm
10-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Flyers can make excellant pets. Check out the education section here:
http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php