PDA

View Full Version : 10 month old grey came home and won't get out of "bed"

Walnut'sMom
05-21-2021, 10:13 AM
We rescued Walnut as a baby, about 4-5 weeks old. (This is the second squirrel we rescued and released.) Since Walnut's release, she has come home (inside our house) several times for a good night's sleep in her daybed, but has always gone back outside in the morning. Last night, she came back again after a few days of not seeing her. We have a big back yard with several trees, and our first squirrel has come back with 2 babies and they have been living in our yard for a few months. I mention this because, our first squirrel would chase Walnut around the yard (and back into the house) but we didn't witness any physical contact or fighting between them. We do not seen any physical injuries on her but she is just sleeping a lot. She is taking some fluids through a dropper but goes right back to sleep. I'm worried about this little bugger!! I love her. Any advice would be so appreciated. Should we just let her be and sleep it off?? Thank you in advance for any ideas.

stepnstone
05-21-2021, 10:32 AM
We rescued Walnut as a baby, about 4-5 weeks old. (This is the second squirrel we rescued and released.) Since Walnut's release, she has come home (inside our house) several times for a good night's sleep in her daybed, but has always gone back outside in the morning. Last night, she came back again after a few days of not seeing her. We have a big back yard with several trees, and our first squirrel has come back with 2 babies and they have been living in our yard for a few months. I mention this because, our first squirrel would chase Walnut around the yard (and back into the house) but we didn't witness any physical contact or fighting between them. We do not seen any physical injuries on her but she is just sleeping a lot. She is taking some fluids through a dropper but goes right back to sleep. I'm worried about this little bugger!! I love her. Any advice would be so appreciated. Should we just let her be and sleep it off?? Thank you in advance for any ideas.

If she were to have had an encounter and got clawed/punctured it's not likely something you would see right off
as a puncture seals over pretty quickly and often not noticed until it begins to swell and or abscess.
Can you get her out to observe movement to make sure she is moving freely and not limping or favoring a limb?
Can you manipulate her to observe if she exhibits as if she's in any pain?
She may have simply been run off and had to stay in survival mode until she could make her way back so she could rest.
I would let her rest but definitely be observant with her.

Walnut'sMom
05-21-2021, 11:03 AM
Thank you so much! When she came home last night, she did first climb up on our kitchen high-top table with no trouble. She then went to her daybed, which is in a bay window in the living room. We have a curtain valance that she has FILLED with tons of shredded napkins (and probably a lot of snacks!) and she seems to be comfortable and not in pain. She did let me give her a "belly rub" and moved her arm (without issue) to get petted but seems like she just wants to sleep. We are letting her rest and keeping an eye on her. Thank you again!!!