PDA

View Full Version : Wild squirrel with ulcer/sore on foot

thelema93
05-21-2021, 08:20 AM
Hi Everyone, this cute little guy just started showing up and I noticed he has a nasty ulcer on his little foot. He's limping a bit and he looks young. I have no idea what could have caused something like that.. Maybe an infected scratch? Is there anything I can do for him? Will it heal on it's own? I gave him some pecans and leave fresh water out for my neighborhood squirrels. Thank you! 318417318418

olorin19
05-21-2021, 12:30 PM
It looks like a bite wound to me. Back foot is a typical place to get bit when running away.

Is the squirel still using that foot to move around? If so, I would be tempted to let it be, as it will in most case heal on its own.

In the picture at least, the skin looks more pink than angry red.

I have seen lots of bite and scratch wounds in my various releases. Most of the time, they are fine on their own. But there are times when they need antibiotics.

It is definitely possible to treat a wild squirrel without even needing to capture them, so long as they tend to come to you for food:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?64219-Wild-with-injured-front-paw
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?64219-Wild-with-injured-front-paw

thelema93
05-21-2021, 07:21 PM
Thank you for the response and for the helpful links! He seemed to be managing ok but he does have a bit of a limp. He comes up pretty close and takes nuts off my window ledge so I can keep an eye on him. I'd seen him come by maybe twice before, then had not seen him in a couple of days. I just noticed the wound today..You're right, it doesn't look red and angry it just seems very deep. I don't have access to any antibiotics unfortunately, I imagine I would need a prescription? Last year one came by with a very sore/scratched eye and he ended up healing on his own. They are amazing little creatures. I just worry about it slowing him down..there are lots of predators around and he is definitely young.

olorin19
05-22-2021, 08:02 AM
Thank you for the response and for the helpful links! He seemed to be managing ok but he does have a bit of a limp. He comes up pretty close and takes nuts off my window ledge so I can keep an eye on him. I'd seen him come by maybe twice before, then had not seen him in a couple of days. I just noticed the wound today..You're right, it doesn't look red and angry it just seems very deep. I don't have access to any antibiotics unfortunately, I imagine I would need a prescription? Last year one came by with a very sore/scratched eye and he ended up healing on his own. They are amazing little creatures. I just worry about it slowing him down..there are lots of predators around and he is definitely young.

Yes, antiibiotics require a prescription. Many vets are unfamiliar with which ABs to use for squirrels, however, so if it ever comes to that, you may wish to consult experts here at TSB as to which ABs and dosage.

The first time I used antibiotics on one of my releases Dustin, it took most of a summer to get him healed up, and the folks at TSB were extremely helpful. Luckily, I also fouind a vet who was willing to help and willing to give me what the folks at TSB recommended:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?54527-Abscess-on-rear-leg
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?54703-Dustin-Abscess-on-rear-leg
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?55058-Dustin-back-to-the-wild

I have seen one of my guys have an injured paw (front to rear) many times where they were moving around on three legs for a few days then back to normal maybe 3-4 days later. I think moving on three legs does not always mean the injured leg cannot be used at all. But since squirrels are quite adept at moving on just three legs, perhaps they do this to give the injured leg/paw a chance to heal up.

thelema93
05-24-2021, 07:19 AM
Thank you for the advice, that is very helpful! He came by today and he is lifting the injured leg up and walking on 3 legs as you described. I gave him a few almonds until he was full and then he took the last one to bury. He's a sweet little guy. I'll continue to monitor his leg and take pics. I guess if it doesn't look any better in 5 days or so I should try to get a hold of some antibiotics for him.318434318435

olorin19
05-24-2021, 07:37 AM
Does it appear to be draining pus now? Hard for me to tell from the photos, but I notice the first photo had a scab while this one does not.

To me, it looks like the area without fur has increased and also the color looks more red than in the first photo. This could easily be different lighting in the photos. when you look at this guy close up, does it look like it is healing or getting worse?

I am pretty sure I have read on here (corrections accepted if this is not the case) that almonds should be fed in moderation.

And do not feed brazil nuts!

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?53047-Brazil-nuts-can-kill

My guys prefer either pecans or hazelnuts.

thelema93
05-24-2021, 07:41 AM
PS. I'm so glad your Dustin healed up! It sounds like it was a lot of work but well worth it. ❤
The info is very helpful. The only antibiotic we have on hand is human Amoxicillin but it sounds like that isn't the right thing even if diluted down.

olorin19
05-24-2021, 07:46 AM
PS. I'm so glad your Dustin healed up! It sounds like it was a lot of work but well worth it. ❤
The info is very helpful. The only antibiotic we have on hand is human Amoxicillin but it sounds like that isn't the right thing even if diluted down.

I am not an expert on that, so you will need to get someone better versed in that to weigh in.

Dustin required clindamycin, but other that severe infection into the bone, every other time I have used clavamox with good results.

thelema93
05-24-2021, 07:46 AM
Good to know about the nuts! I usually alternate between walnuts, pecans and almonds and then sometimes some avocado. They can be very picky sometimes! As for the sore it does look like the scab has come off, there seems to be a little bit of pus, it doesn't look any better yet and he was kind of hopping around with the leg pulled up. It's so hard to gauge because animals hide pain so well.

olorin19
05-24-2021, 08:04 AM
From what I can see, if it were a wild that came to me regularly, I would start clavamox. Note well that this is the opinion of an enthusiastic amateur, not an expert.

Hopefully, someone else will weigh in and perhaps know where you might get clavamox.

If you are able to get clavamox, I would recommend tablets (which you crush then add water) rather than the powder (to which you add water also). It is less expensive plus allows you to have some available for later just in case.

I have given clavamox via pecan to quite a few different squirrels. Several preferred it where the clavamox was mixed with nut butter then smeared on a half pecan. (I buy whole pecans then crack them open with vise grips.) But several others wanted nothing to do with the nut butter. So, I would crack a pecan into two pieces, then drip the clavamox onto both halves, then hold the two halves together to help it soak in.

thelema93
05-24-2021, 08:20 AM
Thank you again for all of your help and advice! ❤ I am also "an amateur" squirrel lover hehe. I have 1 that we call our indoor/outdoor squirrel "Lil Mama" she started visiting 1 year ago and comes every day for snacks and sits in bed with us and likes pets and ear scratches and is incredibly gentle. I treat her with Revolution for fleas in the summer since she comes indoors every morning. I was able to get that without prescription from a Canadian site so I can check there.

I just looked and we have human * Amoxicillin 500mg here at home. I'm not sure if I will be able to get access to the Clavamox but could try calling some vets and explaining the situation to them.

Spanky
05-24-2021, 11:26 AM
Clavamox is the animal version of the human drug Augmentin, which wold be a good choice.

Augmentin is amoxicillin combined with clavulanate potassium. Clavulanate potassium is a beta lactamase inhibitor that "augments" the amoxicillin by making many more bacterial organisms susceptible to antibiotic amoxicillin.

I'll PM you the dosage info for Amoxicillin, but I would continue to search for Clavamox/Augmentin... or even other antibiotics. If you find any others, post the names and someone will advise if that might be a better choice than plain amoxicillin.

thelema93
05-24-2021, 11:40 AM
Thank you very much for the info Spanky! I really appreciate this forum! ❤ I also have 500mg tetracycline here at home as well as the 500mg amoxicillin. I'm not sure if a vet will give me anything without seeing the animal first. I'm going to search online and maybe call a couple of places to see what they think. I'm completely new to all of this so just trying to figure out what should be done for him if anything med wise, or if he will heal up naturally. It does look like the wound got worse over the last couple of days and the fact it's slowing his movement down worries me.

thelema93
05-24-2021, 11:50 AM
Wow, thank you so much for the dosing info! :blowkiss If I can't get a hold of the Clavamox I will start him on the plain Amoxicillin. I'm not sure of his weight ..I will have to guesstimate, I don't want to risk give him too much. I think he's maybe 5 months, he looks pretty young to me and just started showing up at the window.

Spanky
05-24-2021, 11:57 AM
The dosing I provided should be very safe for that squirrel to get.

Check the expiration of the tetracycline. NEVER use expired -cycline drugs. most antibiotics simple loose potency / efficacy, but wit the -cyclines, they can actually deteriorate and become toxic.

Tetracycline has a very broad spectrum. Much broader than amoxicillin. The downside is that is more slow acting.

If the tetracycline is not past it's expiration, post the strength.

thelema93
05-24-2021, 12:08 PM
The tetracycline I have is 500mg capsules. My husband is currently taking both so they are not expired, very good to know about the "cycline" antibiotics! Thanks for the info on the weight too!

thelema93
05-28-2021, 08:47 AM
Well Lil Pip had disappeared for a couple of days. I managed to give him 1 dose of antibiotic via pecan but it looks like he's on the mend naturally! Thank you for the help everyone! ❤ 318481

olorin19
05-28-2021, 08:52 AM
Thank you again for all of your help and advice! ❤ I am also "an amateur" squirrel lover hehe. I have 1 that we call our indoor/outdoor squirrel "Lil Mama" she started visiting 1 year ago and comes every day for snacks and sits in bed with us and likes pets and ear scratches and is incredibly gentle. I treat her with Revolution for fleas in the summer since she comes indoors every morning. I was able to get that without prescription from a Canadian site so I can check there.

I just looked and we have human * Amoxicillin 500mg here at home. I'm not sure if I will be able to get access to the Clavamox but could try calling some vets and explaining the situation to them.

By the way, I am quite amazed and impressed that wild lets you pet and scratch her! I've had wilds take nuts right from my hand, but never have I petted a wild!

olorin19
05-28-2021, 08:53 AM
Well Lil Pip had disappeared for a couple of days. I managed to give him 1 dose of antibiotic via pecan but it looks like he's on the mend naturally! Thank you for the help everyone! ❤ 318481

Lil Pip looks good!