PDA

View Full Version : Meet Jack!

Buddy
05-19-2021, 09:28 PM
While searching for Buddy, I found this little guy in the middle of a sidewalk. He started following me. :Love_Icon Meet Jack! :love

I played baby squirrel crying for mom sound for about 3 hours from 5:00 pm till 8:00 pm, noone showed. Next morning, from 5:30 am till 8:30 am too. Again, no mommy. :(

Although I didn't and I don't have any intention of raising squirrels at all after Buddy; because we already have some of Buddy's formula and his blocks and his release cage is still in the backyard, and this little guy is not a pinkie; so we don't have to overwinter him, we decided that we can help him. What do you guys think; he is 7 or 8 weeks old? So, that means, he will be ready to be released in about 2 months, around early August?

This little guy was covered with fleas (which I'm paying badly for; because of all flea bites all over my body). He was also extremely thirsty and hungry.

He is all clean and fed now. He was 130 grams 24 hours or so ago. He is already 150 grams. He drinks well and he is eating Henry's blocks like a champ!

He is not like Buddy at all. Very skittish, scared and wild. My husband thinks that since he was already outside and that we shouldn't domesticate him and we should keep him in the outside release cage; which we did. He was exploring first; then stayed in the fleece cube; but decided to climb up and the rest of the day, he stayed mostly in the nest box. Any concerns for keeping him in the outside release cage at this age?

Such a super sweet and cute little guy! :love Who makes us all miss Buddy even more... :Love_Icon

Notice the long, majestic tail... :Love_Icon

Buddy
05-19-2021, 09:56 PM
Couple more... :love

Buddy
05-19-2021, 10:07 PM
Oh, although he is mainly in the outside release cage, we know that he is a little baby who needs lots of love; so he gets a lot of snuggles, love and play time. :love

sundoesshine
05-19-2021, 10:09 PM
O M GOODNESS! I cannot believe it! My guess is hubby is probably right about not domesticating him. He is adorable though and looks very happy to be cleaned up. :Love_Icon

Snicker Bar
05-19-2021, 11:21 PM
Sometimes it seems like the most unexpected arrivals are perfectly timed . Maybe not a coincidence?? And for me, more often than not, these arrivals are much needed. For me, staying busy helping another , helps me as much as the one in need.

I have to believe your Buddy is busy making dates , or at least trying :)

Welcome, little Jack :) !

Chirps
05-19-2021, 11:30 PM
:yeahthat

Snicker Bar pretty much said what I was thinking. He is so freakin' CUTE! And how lucky for him your paths crossed.

TubeDriver
05-20-2021, 06:33 AM
:w00t Jack :w00t

:serene

island rehabber
05-20-2021, 07:27 AM
aaaagh. CUTENESS OVERLOAD!

I Swear they are all cute, but Jack is particularly adorable!!

Tuff
05-20-2021, 07:57 AM
It’s like God knows we need something to distract us from our grief...that is exactly the time I got Tuff!!!! God works in mysterious ways..trust one thing that Jack was brought to you to help you. Buddy will find his way home, I am sure he is chasing girls already!!!! Welcome little Jack you are in good hands and will be loved a lot!!!! ❤️❤️❤️🐿

Buddy
05-20-2021, 08:24 AM
Thank you everyone! :grouphug

Jack says "Hi Everybody!" :Love_Icon

Buddy
05-20-2021, 08:27 AM
And 2 little videos... The first one, a few minutes after I found him. :Love_Icon 2nd video is from this morning. :Love_Icon

Am I crazy or is he looking bigger and fuller in the second video? It might also be the angle or distance of the camera...

CPatReuGiCE

dTTAiKwyRlc

sundoesshine
05-20-2021, 09:21 AM
Am I crazy or is he looking bigger and fuller in the second video? It might also be the angle or distance of the camera...
I vote that he does look bigger, maybe the hydration plumped him up as well.

TubeDriver
05-20-2021, 11:15 AM
Jack flat out got lucky when he ran into you! He is a cutie for sure!:dance

Buddy
05-23-2021, 07:14 AM
Jack is doing great! He is super vocal. Even when I get closer to his cube, he makes threatening noises, and starts defending himself with his little paws. :grin2

He is 180 grams. He likes cabbage (both red and white), dried mulberry and blueberries. He loves avocado. He has other variety of veggies (broccoli and some mixed greens - minus spinach), but he seems less interested in those.

This morning, I was surprised that he didn't want to take his formula (before anything else). Usually, he seems quite eager and hungry in the mornings.

He ate a bit of his henry's block, some cabbage and some avocado instead. I'll keep offering formula; as he looks still very small to be weaned. :Love_Icon

Buddy
05-23-2021, 09:06 AM
Here's a short video of Jack defending his cube fearlessly! :grin2 :bliss :Love_Icon

hQSifNfbGTc

Rock Monkey
05-23-2021, 09:46 AM
Here's a short video of Jack defending his cube fearlessly! :grin2 :bliss :Love_Icon

I familiar with that whine of protest. :) I always took it to mean "I am aggravated with you. You're disturbing me. Just leave me alone." but not really seriously angry. I always found it cute, a sign of the close bond between us.

Chirps
05-23-2021, 09:53 AM
Feisty! :smiley_pirate

:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

Buddy
05-24-2021, 04:40 PM
So Jack is not eating his formula... :(

I tried it all; kept it really warm, increased the duration between meals so he is more hungry, added some yogurt to see if he likes it better... He doesn't seem to want it at all. :dono

He also keeps biting the nipple. :shakehead

He is eating blocks and he loves avocado.

I'm going to keep offering the formula first thing in the morning and before bed to see if he'll take it, but do you think he is at the age where he is just weaning?

Talking about age, I'd like to know what you think his age is. I thought he was 7-8 weeks old when I found him but not sure.

I just weighed him again and he is 210 grams. So he certainly seems to be gaining weight. :strong

He is also quite active and playful. :Love_Icon

sundoesshine
05-24-2021, 06:27 PM
So Jack is not eating his formula... :(:Love_Icon
Well, because he's already been out and about maybe he's a bit advanced for his age as far as the formula goes. He looks about the size when jr said, nope, I'm a big boy now and rejected his formula one fine day. Funny, I never ever heard a peep out of jr like Jack does in your previous video, those sounds are priceless!

Buddy
05-24-2021, 07:22 PM
Same here. I think Buddy made total 2 baby noises when he was a baby and then a few times predator warning sound; but that's about it.

Jack is very vocal. It's really cute! And I think you are right; he seems much more advanced than Buddy at that age; and just simply wilder!

His mom taught him well; :Love_Icon even if it was a few weeks, that must be making a big difference!

Rock Monkey
05-25-2021, 07:57 AM
You might see if Jack has any interest in plain, whole milk Greek yogurt with a little bit of honey added to sweeten it. That will get Jack some calcium, some fat, and some probiotics.

JLM27
05-26-2021, 08:38 PM
What a cutie! He's going to be an alpha squirrel alright!

Buddy
05-27-2021, 08:35 AM
Thank you! :Love_Icon Yes, I think so too! :grin2

Buddy
07-19-2021, 08:58 AM
Hi everyone,

It's been a while so I thought I give an update.

Jack is doing very well. We are planning to release him this coming weekend. I'm estimating he'll be somewhere between 16-18 weeks.

Here's a video from yesterday. He loves playing with this soft dog toy and loves these flips. :grin2 :love

smPYPxGCLCI

Buddy
07-19-2021, 09:16 AM
Just to note: he is very different than Buddy and a lot more wilder. He probably bit me like 20 times (blood coming from everywhere kind of bites!).

Buddy bit me 0 times during 9 months we had him.

Of course, I still love Jack very very much! :love

He has been in Buddy's outside release cage since we found him (5/19).

He gives me confidence that he will do well when released. I feel like his mom already taught him a lot. :Love_Icon I hope I am right! I hope he decides to hang around, but of course, more importantly, he has a very good, happy, healthy, long life! :Love_Icon

sundoesshine
07-19-2021, 01:04 PM
...That flip is Impressive!

Buddy
07-21-2021, 07:56 AM
Another video from this morning. :love

One question I have, his private area has always been a bit dirty. When he was younger, I was cleaning it daily, but now that he is in his release cage, and super wild, I cannot do that as much.

Buddy kept himself really clean, but I think Jack doesn't pay much attention. Is that normal? I wonder if it's because he wants to leave his scent everywhere...

When it's really hot, I mist his belly a few times and then he cleans himself more thoroughly.

6sfeJojEGo8

Buddy
07-21-2021, 08:27 AM
Here's a photo.

TubeDriver
07-21-2021, 12:58 PM
Some squirrels seem neater than others. No discharge or foul odors which would indicate a problem? Keep an eye on him and as long as he does not suffer from urine scald or any other issues, I think he will be fine.

Here's a photo.

Buddy
07-21-2021, 02:31 PM
Thanks TB! :w00t

No smell, discharge or scald... and at the times I clean him or he cleans himself, it looks much better/cleaner.

He had it almost since we found him.

Any concerns with his release? I'm not sure keeping him around will change his condition but let me know what you guys think.