PDA

View Full Version : Housing/nesting for two

AlisonWndrlnd
05-10-2021, 07:46 AM
I have a male and female, approx 6 weeks old.
I found them one day apart. And I found them about 10 days ago.
I initially thought they were siblings but the female seems to be slightly older (by a week at most) or the little man is just a little slower.

I put them together initially and they were squealing. I got freaked so separated them. In hindsight I’m assuming bc they were both terrified and still hungry.

Now fast forward 10 days. They are steady and thriving. I let them hang out, they see each other and play/wrestle. One squeals every once in a while, but they seem to be okay for the most part. But when I leave the room, I put they in their separate sections with their own hammocks, etc. because I am nervous to leave them alone together.

So my question- housing.
They are each in their own section of critter nation right now.
Should I continue to keep separating them? Should I put them together? If I put them together, should I keep separate hammocks but one enclosure? What about when they are released? They won’t stay together so should I keep the separate nesting?

I had one male last year, so this wasn’t an issue lol.
Thank you in advance :)

Tuff
05-10-2021, 07:52 AM
I have a male and female, approx 6 weeks old.
I found them one day apart. And I found them about 10 days ago.
I initially thought they were siblings but the female seems to be slightly older (by a week at most) or the little man is just a little slower.

I put them together initially and they were squealing. I got freaked so separated them. In hindsight I’m assuming bc they were both terrified and still hungry.

Now fast forward 10 days. They are steady and thriving. I let them hang out, they see each other and play/wrestle. One squeals every once in a while, but they seem to be okay for the most part. But when I leave the room, I put they in their separate sections with their own hammocks, etc. because I am nervous to leave them alone together.

So my question- housing.
They are each in their own section of critter nation right now.
Should I continue to keep separating them? Should I put them together? If I put them together, should I keep separate hammocks but one enclosure? What about when they are released? They won’t stay together so should I keep the separate nesting?

I had one male last year, so this wasn’t an issue lol.
Thank you in advance :)

As long as they are not trying to tear each other apart I would leave them together. They are of approximate age of each other so I really don’t see an issue. The longer you separate there might be an issue later on. They know they aren’t siblings and that is ok, they need a buddy to help them grow and learn the squirrel way. Also at this age they will nest together for quite sometime. Yes keep them separate sleeping options but more than likely they will choose to snuggle together if not then that’s is ok also. They will do better with a release buddy and a growing up buddy.