PDA

View Full Version : Concerning hair loss in patches--what is this??

pepina
05-06-2021, 08:49 AM
Hello friends,

Pepina has been in great health for a long time but recently we've found patches of hair loss-around 5 in all different places of varying sizes. Unfortunately we don't know how long he's had them because the surrounding fur did a good job covering up the bald patches. These patches have areas that are completely bald (not just hair broken at the skin) and bigger patches have parts that look like hair regrowing. They also had redness and broken skin.

I'm almost positive it's not mange (doesn't look like it to me, plus he's never in contact with other animals). I wonder if it is a fungal infection like dermatophytosis, though symptoms differ a bit from what I've found online (usually no fully bald spots as hair should break at the skin, usually not associated with any irritation). He did develop a patch like this last year and at the time someone suggested it could be a spider bite. But it seems doubtful that he suddenly has 5 spider bites!

For now we are applying betadine to the patches.

Please take a look at the pictures and let me know if this is anything familiar to you. The larger one seems older while the small one is redder and seems more recent. The fur has been pushed away from the patches to make them easier to see; normally you can actually barely notice any missing fur. Thanks so much!

CritterMom
05-06-2021, 12:04 PM
Does anyone else thing that especially the older sore that is now re-growing hair looks like ringworm? I can see an actual ring around that sore...

If this is the case, there are a number of OTC things for cats with ringworm.

pepina
05-06-2021, 02:31 PM
Does anyone else thing that especially the older sore that is now re-growing hair looks like ringworm? I can see an actual ring around that sore...

If this is the case, there are a number of OTC things for cats with ringworm.

Thanks for that perspective! Actually looking at pictures online of ringworm in cats I do note the similarity. For now we'll treat it as such--found a nice thread about ringworm here on the SB so we'll be continuing with Betadine and adding some coconut oil and possibly Revolution: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?56053-Ringworm-and-squirrels-question