PDA

View Full Version : Nutty Rehabber - or Is It Me?

rrenner001
09-11-2007, 10:31 PM
I contacted a local rehabber to see if she had any suggestions for when I release my squirrel. I was thinking I would release him (it's a ways off as he's just five weeks or so) somewhere near me but not in my neighborhood as my last squirrel was killed by a car and I don't want to go through that again if there is abetter alternative. I figured if there was someone with some land, I could take his cage there and visit him every day, take food, etc. and eventually let him go.

Well, she has ripped me a new one on this. She first insisted that I was looking to dump the squirrel in the middle of nowhere, then she launched into a rant about how I was treating him because I referred to his home as a crate. She must think I have him in some tiny box. I currently have him in a cat carrier, and plan to move him into my former squirrel's home when he is a bit larger, probably next week. It's a 4 foot by 3-foot large metal dog crate that we cover in mesh. Then we add a log to climb on, a hanging nest, and eventually a squirrel box my husband will build.

Now she's threatening to call the wildlife commission on me to have him taken away.

Am I crazy or is she? My last squirrel did wonderfully and was bigger and healthier-looking than any of the wild squirrels I see outside all the time. I allow them to run in my office andl eave the window open so they can see outside, and eventually get outside and come back in when it's time.

If we need to build something larger, we can, but as this is just a temporary home, I did not think we needed to. I don't mind releasing him here if that's best, but I worry more now about the cars, free-roaming cats, and hawks. We have a quiet neighborhood, but it only takes one car and one bad squirrel decision and I was heartbroken when I lost Sandy.

Hopefully she won't pursue her threat to call, but let me know if you all think I am doing something wrong and should give him up to someone else. If I do, it won't be that woman, I can assure you of that.

thundersquirrel
09-11-2007, 10:58 PM
she does sound a bit extreme. this is purely a matter of opinion, NOT laws. if there's only one squirrel, the cage sounds big enough.

i am a bit concerned, though, that he'll be far away from you. that's unfortunate about your previous squirrel, but there are cars everywhere, and sometimes fate hands you a bad deal.

i would think it would be better to have him where you can keep an eye on him- not just to feed and visit with, but also in case he injures himself or needs your help. if your previous squirrel had survived the accident, who would have been there to help? you.

perhaps you could give us a description of your house/surrounding area? we could talk about the best place to put him. would that work?

(but in regards to the other woman, she's not so insane as she is a total @#&$&!(*&@#$()(*@!)($&!^@(*&$)(@*$)(*#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Mars
09-12-2007, 12:59 AM
My guess is her threat is just that a threat. Florida is a legal state.

rrenner001
09-12-2007, 06:08 AM
Good morning,

Thanks for the replies so far, I appreciate it. She just seems a bit off when I read her e-mails - all lower case, no punctuation, poor grammer and a few minor expletives thrown in for good maeasure. Quite the opposite of her web site!

I'll be happy to keep Allen (the male baby) here for release - that's really my preference but I am just worried after losing the last one. We live in an older residential neighborhood. The homes are all over 30 years old, and there are a lot of oak trees - and squirrels. I have several trees in my front yard, but none in th back, which would be safer as it's farther from the road.

We don't have tons of traffic, but as I mentioned, it only takes one. There are a couple of lose cats and at least one pair of red-tailed hawks in the area. I've never seen a hawk with a squirrel, but i have seen the cats with one once in a while.

When I released Sandy I placed her cage as high as we could - attached it to the tree next to our garage at the height of the roof, which is the furthest from the road, and which also allowed her to climb in and out of my office window as she wanted once she was officially out.

The only trees we have inthe back are orange trees, and we have dogs back there sometimes so I don;t know that that's the best spot. All the trees in front are large oaks.

Hope this helps and thank you!

Mars
09-12-2007, 08:12 AM
Squirrrel range over a 3 to 5 mile territory for food and shelter depending on the season and what food is available where. No matter where you release there are risk. I live pretty much in the middle of no where. The nearest road with any traffic is 2 miles from me with a large expanse of wetlands in between and I still have found my babies dead on that road. For the life of me I can't figure out why they go that direction. The long and the short of it is there are no garuanties. Your yard sounds like a wonderful place to release with plenty of love and food available to keep baby close to home. :grouphug

Critter_Queen
09-12-2007, 08:26 AM
Yeah, she sounds a little nutty. :) I can get that way, too...everyone here has seen me jump to conclusions without all the facts! :hidechair :D But threatening to call the authorities on you in Florida is crap. ANYONE can OWN a squirrel in Florida. :shakehead She's just trying to scare you.

If you don't want to release at home (I don't for your reasons and others) try finding a wildlife refuge. I release most of my squirrels at my mom's place that backs up to hundreds if not thousands of acres of no-hunting wildlife refuge owned by the government. AND it's patrolled for poachers. :thumbsup You should be able to contact whatever wildlife authority you have in Florida and ask about a place like that and if you could set up a pre-release cage for a week or two and tear it down again without disturbing the refuge.

Good luck! :grouphug