PDA

View Full Version : Regular Intense Body Tremors

proud mama of Rocky
04-27-2021, 10:19 PM
I have a baby whose eyes just opened today. She has been with me for 5 days. I have been giving her formula using the following recipe which I found on here somewhere:

3 Tablespoons goat's milk (Whole Foods because I do not have a fresh source)
3 Tablespoons full fat plain organic yogurt
2 Tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 egg yolk
1 tiny pinch of calcium powder from Henry's

She was given to me by a woman who had had her for 1 day only and had been feeding her human Similac. The woman had gotten her from a crew of linemen who were passing through our city and had had her for 1 day without feeding her or stimulating her. The linemen told the woman the baby had been in an electric pole and had fallen out when they were working on the pole and they had kept her.

When I picked her up I immediately noticed her body would begin to tremble violently, particularly when she is relaxed in sleep, much more than just the occasional jerking/startling motion of other babies I have had. However, I thought it was post traumatic stress from the trauma of everything she had been through and that the tremors would lessen.

After an ordeal of getting rid of bloat and constipation from the Similac, rehydrating, and then adjusting to the goat's milk formula while trying to make her feel as safe as possible, she is finally doing well from a digestive standpoint. She is peeing and pooping regularly, eating well, and I plan to transition her to the 20/50 FV formula at the end of the week.

However, even though she appears stable, content, and well, the tremors have not really lessened at all. And, when I think back on it, she has been an unusually deep sleeper since she arrived. It was difficult to rouse her in the night for hydration and then feedings.

Is there something I should be doing to address the tremors? Are they likely the result of head trauma? Or, is it possible that she suffered electric shocks in the pole that could be causing what I am seeing?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

I just don't want to miss something that could be addressed prior to release this summer.

stepnstone
04-28-2021, 03:22 AM
I have a baby whose eyes just opened today. She has been with me for 5 days. I have been giving her formula using the following recipe which I found on here somewhere:

3 Tablespoons goat's milk (Whole Foods because I do not have a fresh source)
3 Tablespoons full fat plain organic yogurt
2 Tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 egg yolk
1 tiny pinch of calcium powder from Henry's

She was given to me by a woman who had had her for 1 day only and had been feeding her human Similac. The woman had gotten her from a crew of linemen who were passing through our city and had had her for 1 day without feeding her or stimulating her. The linemen told the woman the baby had been in an electric pole and had fallen out when they were working on the pole and they had kept her.

When I picked her up I immediately noticed her body would begin to tremble violently, particularly when she is relaxed in sleep, much more than just the occasional jerking/startling motion of other babies I have had. However, I thought it was post traumatic stress from the trauma of everything she had been through and that the tremors would lessen.

After an ordeal of getting rid of bloat and constipation from the Similac, rehydrating, and then adjusting to the goat's milk formula while trying to make her feel as safe as possible, she is finally doing well from a digestive standpoint. She is peeing and pooping regularly, eating well, and I plan to transition her to the 20/50 FV formula at the end of the week.

However, even though she appears stable, content, and well, the tremors have not really lessened at all. And, when I think back on it, she has been an unusually deep sleeper since she arrived. It was difficult to rouse her in the night for hydration and then feedings.

Is there something I should be doing to address the tremors? Are they likely the result of head trauma? Or, is it possible that she suffered electric shocks in the pole that could be causing what I am seeing?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

I just don't want to miss something that could be addressed prior to release this summer.

Eyes opened puts her at 5 weeks old.
Doubt the tremors are from any electrical shock if one that young would even survive it. I've not experienced that behavior from any actual shock victims I've cared for. As for head trauma that could be a possibility and what you are possibly seeing could be seizure activity. Without knowing what may be causing this I would question her ordeal of going without being fed to being fed an improper formula and wonder if her blood sugar is low or her electrolytes are off balance.
I would suggest hydrating in between her regular feedings with the home made hydration that could help with both. You might even try rubbing some molasses, syrup or honey on her gums when she's having the tremors to raise her blood sugar level to see if that helps.
How does her body temp seem? Is she being supplied a heat source?

Home made hydration:
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 tablespoon sugar (1-1/2 teaspoons)
8 oz water

proud mama of Rocky
04-28-2021, 08:27 AM
Eyes opened puts her at 5 weeks old.
Doubt the tremors are from any electrical shock if one that young would even survive it. I've not experienced that behavior from any actual shock victims I've cared for. As for head trauma that could be a possibility and what you are possibly seeing could be seizure activity. Without knowing what may be causing this I would question her ordeal of going without being fed to being fed an improper formula and wonder if her blood sugar is low or her electrolytes are off balance.
I would suggest hydrating in between her regular feedings with the home made hydration that could help with both. You might even try rubbing some molasses, syrup or honey on her gums when she's having the tremors to raise her blood sugar level to see if that helps.
How does her body temp seem? Is she being supplied a heat source?

Home made hydration:
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 tablespoon sugar (1-1/2 teaspoons)
8 oz water

Thank you, stepnstone! I will do as you suggested with the hydration fluid. I also have molasses on hand and will try that next time the tremors start up.

She has been on one of Henry's no auto shut-off heating pads since she arrived and still loves the heat. When she is on my chest or lap I keep her swaddled as much as she is willing and she creates a warm spot on my skin.