PDA

View Full Version : 10month old squirrel extreme behavior change within 30mins

Gruich713
04-26-2021, 10:09 AM
This past August I found my myself taking on rehabbing a baby squirrel with the intention of rehab and release. Unfortunately he is not releasable and is now a member of our family. I stumbled across this board many times while researching squirrels and how to care for them, behavior, ect.. I thought I might as well join as I have a ton of questions and most recently have become very concerned and thought ya'll may be able to help me.
Poochie has always been a very playful, spunky squirrel. He has always enjoyed cuddles with me and has grown to be very comfortable around our house as he gets a lot of time outside of his cage. He is def attached to me the most and cares very little for my husband and children. I feed him Henry's squirrel blocks as well as a mixture of fruits, vegetables and some nuts and the occasional cracker that he swipes from the kitchen before I can catch him. Our usual routine every morning is for me to get him out of his cage and he catches a ride on my shoulder to the fridge to get his breakfast. He runs the house for about 30 mins until the rest of my family gets up and then I put him back in his cage until everyone is off to school. Somedays I get him right back out and then others he's in there until the afternoon, depending on my work schedule. Every evening he gets time out of his cage again until he's ready to cuddle up for bed. He cuddles and nibbles my hands while I pet him and then I put him back in his cage for the night.
Yesterday our day started as normal. I got him out of his cage for breakfast, instead of his block I gave him a grape and 1 cashew (this is not his normal breakfast but he jumped on his stash so I let him have it). He ran around for about 30mins acting his normal self and then I put him in his cage. When I went back in the room to check on him he was acting extremely strange. Every small movement was spooking him, he was bouncing from one side of his cage to the other to the point I thought he may hurt himself. It almost seems like something is wrong with his vision/depth perception. He will let me pet him If I move very slowly and he's aware it's me any quick movement and he goes crazy and he will not let me pick him up with out freaking out. He is not wanting to play or be held he is only sitting on the top perch in his cage sort of hunched over with his head down. He will take food my hand and nibble a little but will not get down to go to his bowl. The light also seems to be throwing him off a bit, and his balance seems a little off but not to bad. I'm very concerned as this is completely out of his normal behavior and happened so quickly. I'm not sure if he has hit his head and has some sort of mild brain trauma, possibly got into something while out that could be poisoning his, lack of sunlight, MBD or is just getting wild. Sorry for such a long post however, any insight would be greatly appreciated. I hate to see my Poochie baby like this, it seems like everything is scaring him.

Spanky
04-26-2021, 11:34 AM
You did not mention rodent block as a part of his diet. If he is not eating rodent block, he is in danger of developing MBD.

He very well could be wilding up. Ten months is prime age for feeling a need to be free in the trees. Generally, squirrels do not make good pets (this is why there are so few "pet squirrels") and almost only bound with only one person. Often it is more of a reluctant acceptance of one person and all too often they start attacking all other people.

He might also have a stash, they often have crazy moments defending their stash or when separated from their stash. Stashes are a no-no and will lead to aggression.

Gruich713
04-26-2021, 12:46 PM
You did not mention rodent block as a part of his diet. If he is not eating rodent block, he is in danger of developing MBD.

He very well could be wilding up. Ten months is prime age for feeling a need to be free in the trees. Generally, squirrels do not make good pets (this is why there are so few "pet squirrels") and almost only bound with only one person. Often it is more of a reluctant acceptance of one person and all too often they start attacking all other people.

He might also have a stash, they often have crazy moments defending their stash or when separated from their stash. Stashes are a no-no and will lead to aggression.

HI, I did mention he is on Henry's squirrel blocks. He's been on those since he was off formula. He's actually not being aggressive at all he's acting very scared. I'm worried there could be something else going on. Today he is much more calm but still does not want to be held and is sleeping most of the day. If I pick him up it's like he almost goes into panic mode. I've started him on calcium however, I'm not sure if that is something that could be harmful if he doesn't have MBD. Do you know if it can be? Also can MBD cause cognitive issues? It's almost like he can't see far away. If I approach him slowly he's fine, noises aren't bothering him either it's just movements. Im worried he may have gotten into something toxic or possibly bumped his head.

Spanky
04-26-2021, 01:25 PM
The calcium will not hurt him even if he does not need it / not MBD. If his poop becomes whitish, you can back down on the calcium. White is the poop indicated he is getting more calcium than his body can process.

Yes, you did mention the Henry's, I overlooked that... my apologies. I would stop all nuts and cashews (legumes) until and unless MBD is ruled out.

MBD become very painful and could be why he does not want to be picked up. Squirrels are masters of disguising pain, since that is necessary to avoid being singled out by predators. Typically, once a human recognizes a squirrel is in pain they are in extreme pain such that they can no longer masked the discomfort.

It can cause seizures, which can cause lots of different issues.

Often their nails will split and get hung up in things like carpet, bedding, etc. It makes their movements all the more difficult.

I am not saying this is MBD 100%, as you mentioned eating something bad or a head bump may also cause some of the same issues.

Gruich713
04-26-2021, 01:42 PM
The calcium will not hurt him even if he does not need it / not MBD. If his poop becomes whitish, you can back down on the calcium. White is the poop indicated he is getting more calcium than his body can process.

Yes, you did mention the Henry's, I overlooked that... my apologies. I would stop all nuts and cashews (legumes) until and unless MBD is ruled out.

MBD become very painful and could be why he does not want to be picked up. Squirrels are masters of disguising pain, since that is necessary to avoid being singled out by predators. Typically, once a human recognizes a squirrel is in pain they are in extreme pain such that they can no longer masked the discomfort.

It can cause seizures, which can cause lots of different issues.

Often their nails will split and get hung up in things like carpet, bedding, etc. It makes their movements all the more difficult.

I am not saying this is MBD 100%, as you mentioned eating something bad or a head bump may also cause some of the same issues.

Thank you, I have stopped all nuts as well as everything else for the moment except the squirrel blocks. He's picking at them but not eating completely like he normally does. I am giving him calcium mixed with peanut butter, it that ok? Thats what the Henry's site suggested. Would giving him a grape or two be ok? Since he loves those that may help with his appetite or should I just stick with the calcium and Henrys blocks for now. What can I give him for pain? Also I feel like his diet is pretty good could MDB still happen for other reasons?

Spanky
04-26-2021, 02:46 PM
Thank you, I have stopped all nuts as well as everything else for the moment except the squirrel blocks. He's picking at them but not eating completely like he normally does. I am giving him calcium mixed with peanut butter, it that ok? Thats what the Henry's site suggested. Would giving him a grape or two be ok? Since he loves those that may help with his appetite or should I just stick with the calcium and Henrys blocks for now. What can I give him for pain? Also I feel like his diet is pretty good could MDB still happen for other reasons?

A common misconception is that the diet only needs to include an adequate amount of calcium. However, equally important is that the diet has limited phosphorus. Phosphorous has the effect of negating calcium.

Continue the squirrel block and healthy vegetables. He can have limited amounts of fruit. I'd focus primarily on Group 1 and Group 2 foods from the pyramid (link below) until he is feeling better. If this is MBD, it will take many weeks... sometimes months.. for him to fully recover. Building bones is a long process.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

I hand out squirrel block while I am preparing the veggie buffet... anything that is handed out is often coveted more readily eaten, I have found this especially true with single squirrels. With multiple squirrels raised together for release, they will fight to take away anything one of the cage mates has....

Gruich713
04-26-2021, 05:10 PM
A common misconception is that the diet only needs to include an adequate amount of calcium. However, equally important is that the diet has limited phosphorus. Phosphorous has the effect of negating calcium.

Continue the squirrel block and healthy vegetables. He can have limited amounts of fruit. I'd focus primarily on Group 1 and Group 2 foods from the pyramid (link below) until he is feeling better. If this is MBD, it will take many weeks... sometimes months.. for him to fully recover. Building bones is a long process.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

I hand out squirrel block while I am preparing the veggie buffet... anything that is handed out is often coveted more readily eaten, I have found this especially true with single squirrels. With multiple squirrels raised together for release, they will fight to take away anything one of the cage mates has....

I picked up some infant Ibuprofen. What dose should I give him based on weight?

Spanky
04-26-2021, 06:42 PM
Ibuprofen dosing sent via PM.

Tuff
04-26-2021, 10:22 PM
HI, I did mention he is on Henry's squirrel blocks. He's been on those since he was off formula. He's actually not being aggressive at all he's acting very scared. I'm worried there could be something else going on. Today he is much more calm but still does not want to be held and is sleeping most of the day. If I pick him up it's like he almost goes into panic mode. I've started him on calcium however, I'm not sure if that is something that could be harmful if he doesn't have MBD. Do you know if it can be? Also can MBD cause cognitive issues? It's almost like he can't see far away. If I approach him slowly he's fine, noises aren't bothering him either it's just movements. Im worried he may have gotten into something toxic or possibly bumped his head.

So I will say this in my limited experience with MBD. In the days that led up to Tuff not being active at all and every single time I touched him he would moan. I wish I videoed it just so I always had that reference point to remind myself what a good diet can prevent. Tuff acted as if he didn’t know who I was at all. He ran from my hand period. I just thought he didn’t want out of the cage or he didn’t want to play, maybe wilding up some. The next few days were different, he was out of the cage and he took a tumble off the kitchen table. He wasn’t himself after that at all. The next day he went down like a stone. He didn’t want to get up didn’t want to eat didn’t want to do anything but hold my hand and for me to be very still with him. So I wrapped him in a really soft fleece blanket and held him the entire day. I tried so hard to find him a vet and finally did. Which led me to this board. He’s probably showing the beginning signs of MBD which they can make a complete turn around with a lot of tough love. The diet is so important. If you can make him a heat pad out of rice that would be super beneficial. It helps them with the pain. Make sure you finish the regimen of calcium all the way through. Do not skip or fall off the wagon with this. The recovery is a long process that you think you will never finish, but 1000 times worth it. No nuts no fruit no junk nothing. Healthy veggies afterwards. Tuff is living his best life right now because of his vet and this group. Group 1 and 2 are my go to diet plan really for myself and Tuff. I help him eat healthy and in return I eat a lot healthier. I never want to see him like that ever again. My opinion is definitely MBD.

Spanky
04-27-2021, 06:16 AM
:goodpost