PDA

View Full Version : My soon to be 7 week old squirrels are not eating Henry's Blocks

Kaitlinrose101
04-23-2021, 10:38 AM
I have a pair of squirrels that are eating FV 20/50 I just switched them from GM Esbilac which was giving them diarrhea. I transitioned slowly like they recommended here. I have offered hi protein henrys blocks since their eyes opened and they never touched them. I heard that the picky blocks are liked more so I got those and it's been a week and a half and they won't touch those either. They are very enthusiastic formula eaters. I am feeding formula by weight. I was told not to give anything other than Henry's Blocks for their first solid food. I have noticed them chewing on the sticks in the enclosure. What should I do?

Rock Monkey
04-23-2021, 08:14 PM
It is normal for them to just shred the block at first. Or ignore it. It sometimes takes a while for them to get used to eating the block. Getting them to eat the block eventually is critical because it has critical vitamins and nutrients that an indoor squirrel needs. Eventually, in the future, when eventually they wean off formula which has similar vitamins and nutrients, they will get those keys components from the block.

Apparently the block isn't super tasty, not at first, so hence the need to hold off on other solid food. Squirrels can be notoriously picky, often resulting in a bit of test of wills.

Beecheykeen
04-24-2021, 02:57 AM
My squirrel is a year old, but for the last couple months I've been crumbing up her rodent blocks for her. One day she decided she was going to be stubborn and not eat her blocks anymore, but I noted when a piece broke off she ate it. Idk why, but she eats what blocks I put out for her if they're crumbled to her liking.

Mel1959
04-24-2021, 06:41 AM
I have a pair of squirrels that are eating FV 20/50 I just switched them from GM Esbilac which was giving them diarrhea. I transitioned slowly like they recommended here. I have offered hi protein henrys blocks since their eyes opened and they never touched them. I heard that the picky blocks are liked more so I got those and it's been a week and a half and they won't touch those either. They are very enthusiastic formula eaters. I am feeding formula by weight. I was told not to give anything other than Henry's Blocks for their first solid food. I have noticed them chewing on the sticks in the enclosure. What should I do?

You can try putting a little bit of formula on the block to see if that will entice them to eat it.