PDA

View Full Version : What is this thing?

Otterthesquirrel
04-22-2021, 06:12 PM
Hi there. I have a 5 year old southern flying squirrel who’s been having some issues lately. First he was itching like crazy and making himself lose fur and started getting scabs. He seems to be getting over that now that I changed some things up, but now there’s something else I’m curious about. I noticed this thing sticking out of his penis (which he’s also been licking a lot) and there was something sticking out that looks like a piece of rice. I’ve seen it twice now. The first time I saw it I was trying to figure out what it was and when he jumped it disappeared and I didn’t see it in the cage. I know it may be really dumb to ask what it is, but considering I don’t know squirrel anatomy I thought I’d ask someone who might lol. I’m hoping it isn’t worms. Thank you!

Lighten-Up
04-23-2021, 07:39 AM
I knew someone who had a non-release male gray squirrel. For some odd reason, that male gray squirrel would get white plugs from time to time in his penis. I don't know if they ever figured out why, but it was not worms, just a plug of "material" that would be there and come out from time to time. I think it was more of a curiosity than a problem. I may or may not have stated that all correctly because it wasn't my squirrel or my experience. But when I saw this post I recalled that.

Otterthesquirrel
04-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Thank you. It’s super weird. Someone suggested maybe it could be ejaculation but I have actually seen him and that same body material and it didn’t look the same. Pretty gross lol

Chirps
04-23-2021, 11:09 PM
Someone who has flyers will know if they do this also, but grey squirrels on ejaculation emit mucus "plugs". This creates a barrier inside the female in case another male tries to breed her, preventing his sperm from reaching their target and helping ensure that the offspring are all from the first lucky contestant. There are some other species of animals that do this but I'm drawing a blank at the moment as to which ones.

Chirps
04-23-2021, 11:17 PM
I knew someone who had a non-release male gray squirrel. For some odd reason, that male gray squirrel would get white plugs from time to time in his penis. I don't know if they ever figured out why, but it was not worms, just a plug of "material" that would be there and come out from time to time. I think it was more of a curiosity than a problem. I may or may not have stated that all correctly because it wasn't my squirrel or my experience. But when I saw this post I recalled that.

I would guess the material was just built-up mucus that wasn't being ejected into a female since he wasn't breeding, so he just got rid of it from time to time. Wondering if the mucus shedding was concurrent with mating season.

Otterthesquirrel
04-23-2021, 11:46 PM
That’s really interesting. He has been messing with his penis a lot more lately. Actually had licked it a bit raw about a week ago. It’s fine now, but I’m wondering why this breeding season seems to be bothering him more than others. He’s less cranky, but messing with himself more.

Lighten-Up
04-25-2021, 09:43 AM
The only other thing I could have said was that the white substance plug was waxy in feel, if I remember it right. It wasn't a mucus, it had a waxy form to it.

olorin19
04-25-2021, 12:43 PM

That would be me! The first time I saw this, I was totally baffled. Someone at TSB told me it was a wax plug. (I believe this was Redwuff, but this was back in 2017 so I may be mistaken.) Sure enough, the substance was quite waxy, and I am 100% certain this was indeed a wax plug.

This happened dozens and dozens of times with Ziggy. Ziggy could pee on his own, but sometimes would get a bit inflamed and have some difficulty. Giving him extra water and keeping him well hydrated helped prevent that.

Sometimes I would see the wax plug shoot out when he https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StzSBYar630peed, other times i would very gently get hold of the end of the wax plug and helped pull it free.

Photo below as well as two related threads,

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?57316-probable-UTI

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?59672-Wax-plugs

olorin19
04-25-2021, 12:44 PM
That’s really interesting. He has been messing with his penis a lot more lately. Actually had licked it a bit raw about a week ago. It’s fine now, but I’m wondering why this breeding season seems to be bothering him more than others. He’s less cranky, but messing with himself more.

See my other post - it definitely happened to Ziggy more during mating season.

olorin19
04-25-2021, 01:05 PM
That would be me! The first time I saw this, I was totally baffled. Someone at TSB told me it was a wax plug. (I believe this was Redwuff, but this was back in 2017 so I may be mistaken.) Sure enough, the substance was quite waxy, and I am 100% certain this was indeed a wax plug.

This happened dozens and dozens of times with Ziggy. Ziggy could pee on his own, but sometimes would get a bit inflamed and have some difficulty. Giving him extra water and keeping him well hydrated helped prevent that.

Sometimes I would see the wax plug shoot out when he https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StzSBYar630peed, other times i would very gently get hold of the end of the wax plug and helped pull it free.

Photo below as well as two related threads,

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?57316-probable-UTI

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?59672-Wax-plugs

Somehow a Youtube link i had on my clipboard (from posting to my son) ended up pasted in the middle of my post!

So readers have two choices:

#1 Ignore
#2 Click the link and watch Gronk catch a football dropped 600' from a helicopter.

olorin19
04-25-2021, 01:27 PM
Here is a good link on the wax plug -

https://sciencing.com/squirrel-mating-gestation-8740132.html

"Generally, female squirrels mate with more than one partner multiple times over the course of anywhere from two days to several weeks. The actual mating process takes about a minute and often ends when the male squirrel's penis "plugs" the female's vagina with a non-seminal, wax-like substance. This plug works as a barrier against the sperm of other males who might mate with the female after the original partner has had his turn. This is likely one of the reasons that the majority of squirrel litters are sired by a single male, despite any given female having multiple partners."

Otterthesquirrel
04-25-2021, 10:46 PM
Wow! Super interesting. Now I’ve gotta figure out why he’s been so itchy. I’ve cleaned his cage, added in more nutritious stuff to his diet, played with him more. I just don’t get it. He will make scabs on his sides and then now they’re healing, but I just heard him squeak again like he hurt himself. Ugh. Can breeding season just be over already? This is the worst one yet and he’s 5

Chirps
04-26-2021, 12:05 AM
The only other thing I could have said was that the white substance plug was waxy in feel, if I remember it right. It wasn't a mucus, it had a waxy form to it.
Ah! Thanks! WAX plugs, NOT mucus! My brain sometimes . . . too much in there and comes out wrong. Mucus doesn't even make sense since the determined little swimmers could muscle through and there'd be no point, but a WAX plug would keep them out.

Charley Chuckles
04-26-2021, 06:12 AM
My Charley Chuckles had wax plugs often. He had back "spinal " issue.
As long as the plugs come out that's a normal male thing, if the glands get enlarged and the waxy business can't come out, that would be another thing.
At one point my vet had to remove CC's anal glands which were preventing him from pooping. Something with that and the waxy discharge all connected.
That said I wouldn't necessarily worry about it. I just wanted to add the experience I had with this.
My Conker has this waxy discharge almost daily, not sure if it when they are in rut or not🤔