PDA

View Full Version : BABY SQUIRREL

volchek
09-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Hello,
I found a baby 2 days ago. It's about 7-9 weeks old. I checked the WEB and followed instructions - waited for mom, made a warm bottle, food, water, bought a formula and tried to find a rescue. The baby refuses the formula and fruits. Would eat only almonds and little water. It's not active and getting weaker. Doesn't leave the box and mostly sleeps. It looks healthy otherwise. Please help to find somebody in the Seattle/ Bellevue area who could help and advise what to do now. Thank you!!!!

volchek
09-11-2007, 11:15 AM
It refused any formula. I bought the one you recommended esbilac. It can sit. Not very balanced. I warmed him with warm sock with beans. Eats nuts so probably has teeth. I gave him water with salt and sugar and some with little juice. It didn't like the juice.

Mars
09-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Washington, Central

Washington, Central region (Chelan)..... 509-687-3246

Debra A. Burnett (director), Tsillan Wildcare
redmiatagirl@msn.com
Wildlife Species: raptors, songbirds, small mammals, herps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Washington, Eastern

Washington, Eastern region, Latah/Whitman County (Moscow/Pullman)..... 208-883-4349

Kristina Janzen, Animal Care Center
kjanzen@wsu.edu
Wildlife Species: small to medium mammals, passerines, and some birds of prey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Washington, Northwest

Washington, Northwest region (Arlington)..... 360-435-4817

Kaye Baxter, Sarvey Wildlife Care Center
hihanska@aol.com
Specialty: raptors, general mammals, raptor flight cages, medical
Washington, Northwest region (Friday Harbor)..... 360-378-5000

Wolf Hollow Wildlife Rehab Center
whollow@rockisland.com
Comments: cover Skagit and San Juan Counties
Washington, Northwest region (Gig Harbor)..... 253-884-3253

Jim Styers, Fathom 23, Inc., Wildlife Rapid Response Team &
Oil Spill Wildlife Management
JSty23@aol.com
Wildlife Species: Marine mammals and birds
Comments: We are marine wildlife consultants specializing in wildlife
impacted by oil spills. Director of Sea Otter Rescue Center/Seward,
Alaska/ExxonValdez oil spill. Many others.
http://www.fathom23.com
Washington, Northwest region, Snohomish County (Lynnwood)..... (425) 787-2500 ex.817

The Progressive Animal Welfare Society (PAWS)
info@paws.org
Wildlife Species: all species
Comments: PAWS treats approximately 5000 injured and orphaned patients each year
Washington, Northwest region, Snohomish County (Stanwood)..... 360-652-7690

Meg Lunnum, (sub-permitee), Happy Valley Bats and Sarvey Wildlife Center
megmyotis@happyvalleybats.org
Wildlife Species: Bats
Comments: Will answer any questions about bats. Will also pick up bats locally
and make arrangements for those that are further away

Washington, Southern

Washington, Southwest

Washington, Western

Washington, Western region (McCleary)..... 1-800-750-3296

Randy Marston, Wild Animal Rescue Mission (WARM, Inc.)
warm@sprynet.com
Wildlife Species: black bears, raptors (eagles, hawks, owls)
Comments: have large flight cage (120,000 cubic feet)
Cover Grays Harbor, Thurston, Pierce, Lewis, and Pacific Counties

Critter_Queen
09-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Try using a 3cc syringe (can be found at a pharmacy, just ask them behind the counter) and grape pedialyte. You must feed VERY SLOWLY as they can inhale the formula and get sick from it. (you push-pause-push-pause on the syringe plunger giving only a little at a time...careful, cuz they can suck pretty hard, you MUST control the plunger) You will want to warm the pedialyte so that it feels nice and warm on the underside of your wrist (like you test baby formula). Make sure the baby is warm, do you have a heating pad you can put under half of his box? Can you provide several old t-shirts for him to snuggle into? I know he's fully furred, but it sounds like he's dehydrated and starving so he likely needs the supplemental heat for now.

You will need to hydrate him using the pedialyte before providing food at this point...he may not be able to digest the food you are giving otherwise.

Mars
09-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Try here

http://www.wolfhollowwildlife.org/finding/rehab_centers_list.html

and here

http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/wildlife/rehabilitators/washington-rehabilitators.html

I'm not sure which is near you but anyone you call should be able to direct you to one nearest to you.

Critter_Queen
09-11-2007, 11:21 AM
I, too, agree that baby needs to be taken to a rehabber as soon as possible.

THANK YOU for helping him!!! And :Welcome to TSB! :)

volchek
09-11-2007, 11:28 AM
It's warm. I'm using a sock with grains to warm him up.
Is there anybody closer? I called PAWS. They didn't help.

volchek
09-11-2007, 11:44 AM
I don't have a heating pad. Just called one of the closetst places on the list. The replay was to let him be. Like you're doing everything we would. :(
I'll go buy pedialyte and try that.

Critter_Queen
09-11-2007, 11:48 AM
The reason we ask for a couple other cities is that some of us have a directory that isn't available to the public...we might be able to find you some help that way.

Try to buy a heating pad while you are out, ok? (one without the auto-off feature) If he's ill, he needs constant temp that a rice/corn buddy can't provide since it's hot then cools off rather quickly.

thundersquirrel
09-11-2007, 12:26 PM
how hesitant is he to let you touch him?

he needs fluids, as others have said. here's what you could do;

get a 3 cc syringe (no needle).

fill it with the hydrating solution that you made, warmed up.

hold him in a warm towel, covering his head. make it like a mini cave so that your hand can get through but he feels safe.

offer him the syringe. be very, VERY quiet. move slowly. gently put some on his lips. it's possible that he's terrified, at his age. he's in a strange new world that he can see, smell, and hear, which younger babies can't do.

let us know how it goes. good luck, and stay with us through this. ;)

volchek
09-11-2007, 12:31 PM
OK. I will try.
He doesn't look ill. Very fearsome little creature. Trying to scare my hand off :)
I live close to Seattle, Redmond, Issaqua, Kirkland, Bothel, Woodinville, Lynwood, Tacoma, North Bend, Snaqualmie, , .

thundersquirrel
09-11-2007, 12:35 PM
haha i love it when they act tough. though this is a pretty wild baby, so after we get him stable, you might not want to tempt him anymore. :D

thanks for taking our advice. while you stick with your boy, we'll try to find a rehabber near you. ;)

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-11-2007, 12:35 PM
So the person nearby refused to take the baby? Did you explain to them that it is sick and dehydrated and that you are not putting it back outside because it will die if you do? They may be trying to get you to put it back out and try to reunite it with its mother. Since he seems so sick, I would say she has been dead several days so a reunion is impossible. Here is another list of rehabbers, see if there are any new ones on the list closer to you:

WA
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife

Arlington, WA
Sue McGowan

Permits: 2001 WA State/Federal
Species: small_mammals large_mammals RVS birds waterfowl raptors

Colville, WA
Peter Holter-Mehren 509-675-2382

Permits: Sec/Treas NWWRS

Comments: Our veterinarian Dr. Ed Kowitz DVM holds a current rehab permit in Washington State numbers can be supplied upon request. We concentrate on raptors are installing a fawn facility this spring

Custer, WA
Krista Unser 360-366-3881

Permits: State (2003)
Species: small_mammals reptiles_amph marine
Comments: Facility is under the license of Wolf Hollow. Phone # is 360-378-5000.(Serena) Our Center is called Northwest wildlife Rescue and rehab. 360-966-8845

Friday Harbor, WA
Wolf Hollow Wildlife Rehabilitation Center (360) 378-5000

Permits: State (1985) Federal
Species: birds raptors small_mammals
Comments: songbirds harbor seals european rabbits raccoons fox ducks gulls raptors

Olympia, WA
Tammie R Rohr (360)867-0091

Permits: volunteer/foster mother at Sarvey Wildlife Center
Species: small_mammals large_mammals
Comments: I specialize in orphaned and injured cottontails and possums but have experience in all orphaned species in WA and most adult species as well

Redmond, WA
Meghan White

Permits: Volunteer/Saras Sanctuary/Terri Miner 425-898-9984

Spokane, WA
Leah Wiltse-Perry (509)995-6801

Permits: Wildlife Rehabilitator (2004) Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife

Comments: Small and medium sized mammals

thundersquirrel
09-11-2007, 12:38 PM

Redmond, WA
Meghan White

Permits: Volunteer/Saras Sanctuary/Terri Miner 425-898-9984

would that one work? redmond?

volchek
09-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Yes, thank you. I will try her. There are some pictures of the baby.

volchek
09-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Please let me know if he looks OK and how old do you think he is. Thank you

Buddy'sMom
09-11-2007, 02:07 PM
He IS a doll baby!! :Love_Icon Especially that first picture!!

He looks alert, which is good. But he's dehydrated. Were you able to get any Pedialyte? If not, keep trying with your homemade version. You probably need to put a few drops in his mouth -- he doesn't really know what you are giving him -- only that it's not like mom!

By the way, it's clear he's figured out what nuts are --- a little advice: never try to get between a squirrel and his nut!! :D Even a baby squirrel. Their attitude is "IT'S MINE! AND DON'T YOU DARE TRY TO GRAB IT!" (However, if you need to lure him into your lap or blanket to give him formula --- they are usually helpless in resisting the lure of a nut. It's almost unfair -- but it works!)

Good luck -- and listen to the rehabbers here -- they really know their stuff and have given you great advice! :grouphug

thundersquirrel
09-11-2007, 03:37 PM
he looks about six weeks old, to me. very pretty coat, if i may say so.

did you try the rehabber in redmond? how's that going?

volchek
09-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Thank you all for the help! I couldn't reach the lady in Redmond yet. Will try again later. The baby actually took some milk! About half of the seringer in and out. Should I still give him pedialyte? Is it OK to leave him outside during the day. It's warm and sunny. I have his box under the tree and he is able to get out to get some nuts :)
I have a big dog and don't want to risk it in the house. Thank you again!

4skwerlz
09-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Another way to help rehydrate older babies in addition to the Pedialyte, is to give them cubes of watermelon, and PEELED grapes (they can choke on the skin).

Since you have a big inside dog, you should keep the baby locked away in his own room, like a guest bathroom. Lately we have seen so many baby squirrels killed by the owner's dogs and cats--it's so sad. It only takes literally seconds for it to happen!

volchek
09-11-2007, 06:43 PM
He was actually outside for couple hours while I went out. Inside he has to be in the bathroom so the dog can't get him. THe only room I can lock the door. He is there during the night. I gave him the formula once ( I tried many times ) and water couple times a day. He ate 3-4 almonds. I don't have a cage, just the box.

Buddy'sMom
09-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Since there are no rehabbers here at the moment ........ I looked back over what they told you today and based on that I would continue to offer Pedialyte in between feedings of formula at least for tonite. However, it could eat grapes or watermelon instead of Pedialyte and might enjoy that more.

He also might like to munch on some Cheerios if you have any.

:grouphug

4skwerlz
09-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Since there are no rehabbers here at the moment ........ I looked back over what they told you today and based on that I would continue to offer Pedialyte in between feedings of formula at least for tonite. However, it could eat grapes or watermelon instead of Pedialyte and might enjoy that more.

He also might like to munch on some Cheerios if you have any.

Yes, the Cheerios would be healthier than the nuts!

Buddy'sMom
09-11-2007, 06:54 PM
He was actually outside for couple hours while I went out. Inside he has to be in the bathroom so the dog can't get him. THe only room I can lock the door. He is there during the night. I gave him the formula once ( I tried many times ) and water couple times a day. He ate 3-4 almonds. I don't have a cage, just the box.

Does the box have a lid? With holes? Cause he shouldn't be able to get out and wander. Even in the bathroom because he could end up away from his warm nest and not know how to get back.. Or chew stuff :D . CLOSE THE TOILET LID!!

If the box doesn't have a lid, do you have a large piece of cardboard you can cut 1 inch slits in for air? Or else a screen? Lay either on top of his box and put a book or two on so he can't push it off.

He probably would be best off in the bathroom during the day, too, instead of outside. But outside is ok if the temp is moderate and he is protected from any dogs, cats or kids. And can't get out.

Also -- back to the formula and the Pedialyte -- sometimes they are picky and it needs to be very warm, so possibly if you try a little warmer he'll like it better. But it may just be that he needs time to get used to it (doesn't tast like mom!)

You're doing great!

volchek
09-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Thank you for the advice. I use the screen now to cover the box. It's a big box and smaller one inside it for the nest. Plus I have a log and he likes to climb it. I feel outside is safer, since I have kids who make a lot of noise and a dog. Anyway he is home now. Hope he will feel better.

4skwerlz
09-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Any luck finding a rehabber? Has anyone PM'd you with more help?

volchek
09-11-2007, 08:29 PM
No, no PMs. no luck withthe rehubber yet. It's sure hard! I can't get my kids leave him alone. That's the hardest part. What kind of meds should I buy?

thundersquirrel
09-11-2007, 08:49 PM
meds? did i miss something? who suggested medicine?

i really understand how your kids must be feeling. it's very hard to resist a little squirrel. have you tried sitting them down and talking to them about it? they'll need to stop handling the little guy, he needs to learn to fear humans. that's what i would explain to them; they can't tell the difference between hunters and animal lovers, so if he learns to like your kids he'll learn to like people who could hurt him, too.

also, since he's a juvenile (as opposed to a baby) he might try claw them if they pester him too much. i don't want to see your kids get hurt. :peace

if we can get you a rehabber, would you give this guy to them? it sounds like you're balancing a lot on your shoulders right now, it must be pretty tough. heck, my mother and i get overwhelmed with our baby squirrels, and there's even TWO of us to help!

no judgment, just wondering. :grouphug

if you can get him a cage, that would be wonderful. many humane societies have rodent cages (meant for rabbits, rats, etc.) donated to them, and you could get one cheap or for free. if he has a secure cage to live in, he can be in the cage AND be outside at the same time.

just DON'T leave him out at night if you do get him a cage. it would have to be double wired to do so, so unless you want to make one, he'll need to stay inside at night (or in your garage, if you have one).

4skwerlz
09-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Hi Volchek,

Sorry the responses have been a little slow tonite. Alot of the TSB rehabbers are very busy with babies right now. Looks like you're taking care of him for now, until you can find a local rehabber. Can you move to chat?

thundersquirrel
09-11-2007, 09:01 PM
don't worry, gamma. i think you do twice the helpful posting i do anyway, so i can't blame you. :)

TexanSquirrel
09-11-2007, 09:49 PM
:Welcome What a cutie!

volchek
09-12-2007, 01:10 AM
:thankyou :thankyou :thankyou
For all the advice and quick response. I got the local resque person and it took the baby.I hope he will be fine. I feel very sad and happy at the same time. It was a lot to handle indeed. kids, dog, household AND THE BABY. Almost like having a baby for the first time. I had a lot to learn about these creatures. Thank you for all the help. I'm glad I found this place. My neighbor told me that they found a dead sqirrel. Probably the mom. We might find more of the babies :( I attached some of his pictures. I will miss you , little guy ...

thundersquirrel
09-12-2007, 08:26 AM
oh thank you SO MUCH for doing that! :bowdown

the sacrifice your heart has made will ensure that your baby survives. he really does seem to be the type to capture a person's love. you did a wonderful thing. :Love_Icon

did the rescue person say anything about a release site?

stick with us! if you find another little cutie, we can help you with that one too. we also love to get more members! :D

Critter_Queen
09-12-2007, 08:33 AM
If you can, go back to where you found this little one and search and listen for more. They cry out like a long bird chirp, high pitched, and can be mistaken for birds, but it's just longer and you notice it's just "different" sounding. Check the tree trunks and low branches, under the bushes and on the ground all around. I've found other squirrels this way when I've gone to pick up orphans from finders.

THANK YOU for taking such great care of him!!! :grouphug

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-12-2007, 08:54 AM
I agree, keep looking for more, they may be wandering around looking for food. I am sooooooooooooooooo glad you got the little guy to a rehabber. Now he will be able to grow up with other squirrels and learn what it means to be a squirrel. You did the right thing for the little guy. Good work!