PDA

View Full Version : World's cleanest squirrel or a problem?

scoobysnack
09-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Hey all,

Scooby is doing well, getting BIG and seeming to thrive. She's between 5 and 6 weeks old.

I have what may be an issue I'm not sure. She only eliminates when stimulated. Maybe once or twice recently she has urinated at another time. Her urine is clear and has no bad smell (other than normal critter urine). It's not concentrated and she's not having any health issues. She "can" pee and poop on her own but seems not to in her 'house'.

Now it is true I normally am waking her up for her meal so she's not wandering around much, but I'm just concerned I will be stimulating a squirrel for the rest of our lives :rotfl

Is this unusual?

jules
09-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Hi SS!
I think it is ok! Benji wasn't totally going on her own untill she opened her eyes at about 6wks old.
As long as she is going when you stimulate her, and it is clear, I really don't think there's a problem!
Just keep an eye on her and the cage, maybe she has a little corner she goes to pee when you're not looking!:rotfl

Im sure when the others come on site, they will be able to give you more info!:thumbsup

Jules. :Love_Icon

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Scooby is a girl? Sorry, I have been calling Scooby a boy :shakehead . I guess I need to start paying more attention.

Anyways, I wouldn't worry at all. My babies usually don't start peeing on their own much until they are 7 weeks old or so. I had one little boy that refused to pee on his own until he was 10 weeks old! I think he just liked being pittled :shakehead . I was finally able to get him to go on his own when I pittled him on a baby blanket and then put the baby blanket in the corner of his cage. He would go over and sniff it and I think it reminded him to go because he would always go over there and pee. It was too cute.

Buddy'sMom
09-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Sorry I haven't kept up with Scooby (except for seeing some very cute pics!!)..... Is she in a big enough space that she has a little potty area separate from her nest area? They don't really like to mess up their nests -- it is possible that she is "holding it" --- to potty in your hand, LOL? A potty area with cloth or paper towel that she already peed on is a good idea. A hint may be all it takes. :)

scoobysnack
09-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Sorry I haven't kept up with Scooby (except for seeing some very cute pics!!)..... Is she in a big enough space that she has a little potty area separate from her nest area? They don't really like to mess up their nests -- it is possible that she is "holding it" --- to potty in your hand, LOL? A potty area with cloth or paper towel that she already peed on is a good idea. A hint may be all it takes. :)

I will put a potty cloth in there and give her "permission". She just moved to her bigger girl box. She pees a river in my 'hand' so the plumbing IS working LOL