PDA

View Full Version : Best Cage?

Rhapsody
09-10-2007, 11:45 PM
I was wanting to know what is the best recommended cage to purchase when your squirrel is old / big enough to be placed in one?
And - at what age would that be?

... got any links?

Mars
09-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Many of us build our own cages. check here for ideas

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4362&highlight=caging

others shop here

http://martinscages.com/

:)

thundersquirrel
09-11-2007, 12:48 PM
your guys......i'd get a small cage for them when they hit five weeks old, possibly before then. they should get at least a couple square feet of space for that one. many people have used rabbit cages, rat cages, etc. but you MUST make sure they can't fit through the bars of that one. it also helps to have a solid bottom (as in, not wire bottom- this hurts their feet, though you could cover it with cardboard.

many humane societies have free cages of that size donated to them.

once they learn how to climb and jump in that cage, you have a couple more options for the hazy age of 8 to 14 weeks. by 14 weeks you'll want a full release cage, as seen in the links mars gave you, but that's a ways off.

Rhapsody
09-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the LINKS...... I will check them out.

I was told that my little ones are probably around 3-4 weeks, therefore, I wanted to be ready when the time comes where they will be more active and needing more room... they are crawling now.

I am one of those people that like to be prepared a head of time.

thundersquirrel
09-11-2007, 03:51 PM
WELL then...here's some food for thought. :)

you should probably start looking for their first cage right now. give some time to find the right one- at the right price- and it'll be much better.

very soon after you get that one, start making plans to build the Big One, unless you plan to buy a pre-made.

when we made our cage, we just bought a lot of pre-cut wood, a LOT of chicken wire (mesh wire), a staple gun, a PVC pipe (with cap), two locks, and wire cutters.

then we made space in our backyard and had my aunt and uncle (who have basic building skills) helped to assemble everything.

it took about four hours, with small breaks. honestly, it was kind of fun. :D

since you're not a rehabber, and this will hopefully be a one-time thing, your cage wouldn't have to be as big as ours (about 3x3x8: it can house seven squirrels).

Rhapsody
09-11-2007, 04:08 PM
WELL then...here's some food for thought. :)

when we made our cage, we just bought a lot of pre-cut wood, a LOT of chicken wire (mesh wire), a staple gun, a PVC pipe (with cap), two locks, and wire cutters.

since you're not a rehabber, and this will hopefully be a one-time thing, your cage wouldn't have to be as big as ours (about 3x3x8: it can house seven squirrels).

KEWL!!! - Thanks..... :thumbsup

I will let my husband and son build the cage and we already have most of the items needed for the cage around the house - now we just need to go to Lowes and buy some mesh wire. How many weeks will they be in the smaller wire cage?

Question:
A Nest Box is not needed until we build the bigger cage that will be used for release - Correct?

pamela lee
09-11-2007, 04:17 PM
I built Peanuts nest box while he was still in the house(in the small cage) that way he'd still have his same comfy, familiar home once I moved him into the release cage. Just took his whole nest box and moved it into the release cage with him in it.

Critter_Queen
09-11-2007, 04:27 PM
I keep mine in a carrier until their eyes open, then it's a VERY small wire cage until they are coordinated enough to scale the walls and top of that, then a little bigger, then really big!

I tend to buy my nestboxes pre-made from Petsmart. They have great, flip-top ones (for captive use only, don't put one in your trees!) with the right sized hole and a perch to help them get in it. You can find them in the bird section, they are cockatiel nesting boxes. :thumbsup

I give mine a nestbox as soon as they are coordinated enough to climb into the hole. First I leave it on the floor of the cage and then move it up as they become more coordinated.

Rhapsody
09-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Would this crate work for the babies until we build a bigger one for them later on? - they will be 6 weeks old on Monday.

http://lakeland.craigslist.org/pet/428759888.html

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-22-2007, 11:29 AM
I would use a very low cage from petsmart, this is where I get my cages.
http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/flysquirrel/
I realize once you relase you may never need it again.

Rhapsody
09-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Yeah - I have looked at those kind before, but I am really looking for some thing that will work and yet not cost me an arm and leg - since I will not be keeping the little guys once they are old enough to be released.

I can get the one listed above for $25 - so would it work for the next month or so?
- then we can build a bigger cage for release and use if they want stay near by after they are gone.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-22-2007, 11:35 AM
I would not use it.

Rhapsody
09-22-2007, 11:43 AM
I would not use it.

Could you explain why? - a litttle FYI for Me.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Mine at that age are put into a low cage where they can climb a little but yet if they fall wont hurt themself.
It should be able to let light in, so baby can see world around him.
Look in your local paper maybe a small ferret cage...the bar spacing isnt quite right on ferret cages but will do. If you can get something used it wont cost you as much!

Rhapsody
09-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Look in your local paper maybe a small ferret cage...the bar spacing isnt quite right on ferret cages but will do. If you can get something used it wont cost you as much!

Ok - Thanks...... I will look in Sunday's paper and I will place an Ad on Craigslist as well.

:thankyou

:)

island rehabber
09-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Rhapsody,try freecycle.com as well -- join the chapter near your home and you'll get the lists of things people want to give away.....lots of rehabbers get cages this way and they are free.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Another thing try your local pet shops sometimes they will let people advertise there also vet offices.

Rhapsody
09-22-2007, 01:28 PM
Rhapsody,try freecycle.com as well -- join the chapter near your home and you'll get the lists of things people want to give away.....lots of rehabbers get cages this way and they are free.

Thank YOU - I will look into that site - ASAP!!

:thankyou :thankyou :thankyou

Rhapsody
09-25-2007, 09:34 PM
What do you think about this cage...... The M&M Twins are 6 weeks old.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140161477164&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNARL:US:122

Or this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230172458704&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

pamela lee
09-26-2007, 06:24 AM
It will really depend on what your plans are: Are you raising to release, over wintering or keeping? If you are raising to release then they will only be in the cage for a couple more months, so I think the first one would be fine. If you are over wintering or keeping then the bigger the better, IMO neither one would be large enough.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-26-2007, 06:47 AM
I agree. I kinda like the second cage. Even if you are overwintering (I don't think you have to in Florida, but not sure) the second cage (or the first one, but I think the second one is cooler and its cheaper too, I guess I am easy to please) will work. Just keep the little guys in the big outside cage when you are overwintering them. That is what I do. My little guys will be in the outside cage by November and will spend the winter out there. They have their nestbox to keep warm in (we get lots of snow up here) and I have never had a problem with one getting sick or even cold. They stay warm and toasty in the box (it is warmer than in my house in there).

My little ones stay in a 10 gallon aquarium until about 1 week after their eyes open and then I move them into a 30 gallon aquarium. If I have just 1 or 2 squirrels I keep them in the 30 gallon aquarium all the way until they go outside. I put sticks and a hammock up in the cage so they can practice climbing and get used to sleeping off the ground. A wire cage is better for them to learn to climb in, though. I have a rabbit cage that I move mine into once they are down to 2 milk feedings a day if there are more than 2 squirrels. So, don't worry so much about the cage inside if you are going to be putting them into a release cage within a month after that. I would focus more on getting the release cage as big and well designed as you can, since that is the one that is the most important, especially if you are overwintering them in it.

Rhapsody
09-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Ok - Thanks for the two replies....... I was thinking about overwintering them just to make sure they get the best start they can IF they are able (and willing) to be released back into the wild come Spring time - only time will tell.

I think I will set the release date to take place on April 6, 2008 - that is my Wedding Anniversary (22 yrs) and this way it can be theirs too.

Rhapsody
09-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Would this cage be good for a squirrel, with the plastic and all?
.... I found it for $99 - NEW.

(1.) http://shopping.msn.com/ImageViewer.aspx?mcatId=5533&dpid=6&itemid=21602218&hsv=13p%2f8XGfCbY%3d

Or this cage for $125 - NEW.

(2.) http://www.ferretdepot.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=485

Rhapsody
09-30-2007, 06:39 PM
I would still like some feed-back on which one of the two cages I listed above would be a better cage for Max the Squirrel.......... cage will be used as a pet cage for at leat 6 months, maybe longer or Forever.

scoobysnack
09-30-2007, 08:01 PM
I worry bout the plastic ramps and shelving. I don't think either will last long with squirrels. Ferrets don't chew.

The prices are great.

I got mine from Martin's Cages. It's built for flying squirells. It's a little bit of labor to put it together but it only took my hubby about 3hrs total to put it together. Scooby LOVES her cage, I can barely get her to leave the inside or top of it. Her doors haven't even been closed yet, she chooses to hang out there. The wire mesh stuff makes it really easy to climb around in. I have fleece blankets on the wire shelves and hung stuff all over it for her.

Her's is the The Majestic Flying Squirrel Cage (LSG-580) seen at the bottom of this page. http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/flysquirrel/

Rhapsody
09-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Yeah I have seen those type of cages and have been to the website, they make them for Sugar Gliders as well - but hubby does not like the look. The plastic shelves and ladders can be moved or taken out....... so with that in mind which would you suggest?

Here is the cage I have for my three Sugar Gliders...... we wanted some thing different for the Squirrel.

http://www.sugar-gliders.com/sturdy-cage.htm

Rhapsody
10-01-2007, 04:22 AM
.... I found it for $99 - NEW.

(1.) http://shopping.msn.com/ImageViewer.aspx?mcatId=5533&dpid=6&itemid=21602218&hsv=13p%2f8XGfCbY%3d

Ok - NP... I decided which one this morning at 5 AM - I ordered the cage shown above (and) the plastic pieces will be removed.... I am buying a nest box to go in it.

LINK: http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/areas.asp?CID=0&area=ferret

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
10-01-2007, 06:04 AM
That cage will be GREAT for Max for the next month or two. With a size of only 5 feet tall, 1.5 feet wide, and 2.5 feet long, I don't think it is anywhere near big enough for a full grown squirrel. So, if you are overwintering Max inside (I would recommend building him an outside cage and putting him in that for the winter so he can get used to being outside and can bury nuts and stuff) I don't think that cage will be big enough (The height is good, but you will need something wider and longer). Sorry I didn't see the thread while you were deciding, I don't know how I missed it.

FLUFFYTAILNUT
10-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Well...I THINK ITS A HUGE CAGE..and scooby..:thumbsup
I think your a great squirrel mama..and scooby will be a happy pet./family member .for life...she fortunate to have such a great care giver..getting all her needs taken care of..no having to be worried aboutgetting
eaten..or ran over by a car....If you ever want to breed her...for other extended family members...YOU can come over..and let Scooby and Bean..have a little private time...MARVIN GAY..stlye...LOL:alright.gif :alright.gif :wott :wott
See ya around Dunnelon...at our local tractor supply:::stalking::in the isles:::
LOL ....:jump :jump :wahoo :wahoo
Rachel............................................ .......

FLUFFYTAILNUT
10-01-2007, 02:14 PM
hey..Scooby....You get any new pixs...??

Buddy'sMom
10-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Rhapsody, we used a (smaller) ferret cage for Buddy before he went to his outside release cage (and also for several times he came back for visits). I never put the plastic ramps in. What would be good instead is a couple of branches (big enough diameter for climbing) angled and wedged in so they won't fall -- perfect for climbing, lounging ... and chewing. :) Also, we hung a hammock near the top, which he could access from the side of the cage or from one of the branches. And dangley socks!

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

Rhapsody
10-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Phooie - I am back at square one with the cage... for while the company was still advertising the cage on their site for $99 they evidently did not have more left in stock, therefore, my payment has been refunded.

What about this cage? - http://tinyurl.com/2wg429

pamela lee
10-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Rhapsody, It doesn't say how big that one is but it looks real nice. And that's a great price.

4skwerlz
10-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Phooie - I am back at square one with the cage... for while the company was still advertising the cage on their site for $99 they evidently did not have more left in stock, therefore, my payment has been refunded.

What about this cage? - http://tinyurl.com/2wg429

Better, but $70 shipping? Hey, why don't you build one. It's pretty simple to do.

Rhapsody
10-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Rhapsody, It doesn't say how big that one is but it looks real nice. And that's a great price.

You have to scroll down the page to read rest of the INFO on the CAGE:

Dimensions:

37 x 24 x 52"H with an overall height of 56"

Features:

2 Platforms

2 Ladders

2 large doors

Heavy duty casters

ABS Plastic Slide out bottom pan

Sleeping sling

Non-Toxic powder coated finish

Rhapsody
10-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Better, but $70 shipping? Hey, why don't you build one. It's pretty simple to do.

The S/H and with the Price of the cage is not really to bad - $110 in all....... and shipping probably is not really that much is just how they list an item as to get it to show up first on the list - they list the cage at a very low cost of $40 and then they make up the rest of the cost of the cage by applying it in the S/H as $70 - that's an old listing trick on Ebay.

I would love to build my own cage, but finding extra time on the weekend and my husbands availability dictates other wise right now.

pamela lee
10-01-2007, 09:08 PM
IMHO, I think the cage would be fine. Has plenty of room for tree limbs and a nest box. If your gonna release him, I'd put a nestbox in so he can already have one all set up for when you release.

Rhapsody
10-02-2007, 12:17 AM
Thanks..... I ordered it tonight.

finetoons
10-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Scooby LOVES her cage, I can barely get her to leave the inside or top of it. Her doors haven't even been closed yet, she chooses to hang out there. The wire mesh stuff makes it really easy to climb around in.

How does Scooby feel about the wire mesh at the bottom? I just got a cage from MartinsCages.com to use as a winter/release cage and read somewhere that the bottom should be covered in cardboard. What does Scooby think?

finetoons
10-12-2007, 11:53 PM
I tend to buy my nestboxes pre-made from Petsmart. They have great, flip-top ones (for captive use only, don't put one in your trees!) with the right sized hole and a perch to help them get in it.

CQ...why wouldn't you use one of these nestboxes for trees? Is it because of the hinged top that 'coonies could open? What if you nailed the top shut when you hang it?

The reason I ask is because I need to overwinter my babies, and would like to use one of those boxes from PetCo for the season -and- for release.

Any suggestions?