PDA

View Full Version : Cat attack

Byrd
09-10-2007, 07:53 PM
My Baby Squirrel Was just attacked by a cat none of the wounds are deep looks to be made by claws. i put triple antibiotic on it and got him warm i wil give him pedialyte when he calms down do i need to do anything else?

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Did you see the cat attack the squirrel? If the squirrel was in the cat's mouth it needs antibiotics ASAP! If it is just claw marks you are doing enough with the ointment and pedialyte. Do you have a vet you could take the little guy to if it was in the cat's mouth? It will need the antibiotics ASAP!

Byrd
09-10-2007, 08:05 PM
I did not see the attack when i came in Loki (Squirrel) had fallin between my 2 mattress' away from the cat none of the cuts are deep he seems to be doing ok now with only a little bit of blood. nothing piercing like a tooth the holes are thin like claw marks. and if the cat got Loki in her mouth i doubt he would have been able to fall between the beds. and no there are no vets to take him to.

thundersquirrel
09-10-2007, 08:09 PM
i know this is probably difficult to do, but if there is any way to get him antibiotic, i think you should do it. it's better to be safe than sorry, you know? if there are no vets in your area, we can help you find a local rehabber to give you the medicine.

i'm just worried because i know how cats are when they have a new toy; it seems like most of them enjoy clawing AND biting, that's all.

how is he doing right now? :Love_Icon

Byrd
09-10-2007, 08:10 PM
I don't know of any rehabbers around here that i can get in touch with ive raised baby birds before but this is my first squirrel.

He is doing fine right now he is sleeping well and seems to have calmed down he is only around 10-13 days old.

thundersquirrel
09-10-2007, 08:14 PM
i'm sure you can handle a baby squirrel on your own, but antibiotics are tricky and regulated. could we just see what rehabbers are in your area? truly, if there is one nearby, it will be a VERY lucky thing as your baby needs medicines as soon as you can get them to him.

i wouldn't feed him formula for now, just heat and pedialyte. keep things quiet, and as i'm sure you know, keep the squirrel in a room completely different from any cats or dogs.

i'm glad he's calm but he could still be poisoned. that's a very young age to receive a cat attack.

we'll get you through this, so don't worry. the squirrel board is here to help. :thumbsup

Byrd
09-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Well there may be a rehabber near by

Feeding him esbilac half heating pad under his box ive had him for 2 days he fell out of a tree his sibling died but he lived and was about to be attacked by ants when he was saved. he is moving around now there is an after hours animal hospital what antibiotic should i get for him?

thundersquirrel
09-10-2007, 08:19 PM
*i suggest editing the above message, byrd, so that your location stays private from others. i know where you are now, and i'm going to check for rehabbers, ok?

in the meantime, talk to gamma. she knows the right questions. :)

thundersquirrel
09-10-2007, 08:26 PM
unfortunately the rehabber list site isn't working for me.

can anyone else access it?

Byrd
09-10-2007, 08:29 PM
I found some wounds that look to be bites i am about to go to the vet what antibiotic should i request?

Byrd
09-10-2007, 08:31 PM
I honestly don't know not to sound selfish but i really dont want him taken away im especially not to fond of the after hour clinic.

atlantasquirrelgirl
09-10-2007, 08:34 PM
PM me if you are near Atlanta. I'm out of the state right now, but can make some recommendations.

Byrd
09-10-2007, 08:36 PM
I am not near atlanta but the clinic i called does not have a liscense to treat the squirrel. any other ideas?

what is the rehhabber list site name so i can attempt to look it up.

atlantasquirrelgirl
09-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Call AWARE - (678) 418-1111, and tell them you need the number for a rehabber in your county. If you're willing to drive to Atl, I can give you a number of somebody that can set you up with an antibiotic.

thundersquirrel
09-10-2007, 08:41 PM
i would suggest clavamox or baytril. i can't help you with the dosage. that's why you would need to see a vet or rehabber.

i've taken wild squirrels to the vet before and they usually don't ask to see a license or anything...the problem is that they'll ask for information about squirrels that you won't know, i.e. how much medicine do you need based on his body weight?

i know this is a terrible position for you to be in, but...i really don't see any way around this. :( i think he needs to see a rehabber. that doesn't mean the rehabber would want to raise him herself, necessarily, but it's a possibility.

wildlife rehabilitators are extremely kind people who don't do this for money- it's purely out of the goodness of their heart. even if you don't get to raise this baby, he would live such a good life with other squirrels and he would get the medicine he needs, and eventually would be released. you can request to have him released in your yard, even.

i just fear that...if he doesn't get the attention he requires tonight, by tomorrow morning there will be no squirrel to raise at all. :Cry :sad

if nothing else, you could try to find a vet that knows something about wildlife, ok? a vet is less likely to take on the squirrel, though it's not as beneficial as a rehabber.

:Love_Icon in the meantime, i will pray for you and your baby.

Byrd
09-10-2007, 08:41 PM
sorry but i have School in the morning so no driving far but i will call that #

thundersquirrel
09-10-2007, 08:44 PM
seems like most rehab places are so swamped with squirrels right now anyway, they'd be glad to help you out and let you raise it.

atlantasquirrelgirl
09-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Great. Also, if you're vet is not in a position to treat the squirrel, you can call and ask if they can dispense Trimeth (or some of the other recommended drugs) to treat a problem. If you can gain access to the antibiotic, we can get the dosage.

Byrd
09-10-2007, 08:47 PM
going now to get injection of baytril wish me luck and prayer is welcome :thankyou

thundersquirrel
09-10-2007, 08:54 PM
now we just need to figure out the dose to give? :dono

Byrd
09-10-2007, 09:35 PM
the dosage prescribed by AWARE was 5mg to every 1 KG SHE has taken the injection and seems to be doing well i thank you all for everything.

thundersquirrel
09-10-2007, 09:52 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

:wahoo :jump :wahoo :multi :flash3 :alright.gif :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou

that's all i ever really wanted! great job!

now, despite that moment of insanely extreme euphoria (harharhar) please keep an eye on her AND your cat. both could still have obtained germs from the encounter, though hopefully it will be ok now.

also, stay on the board! i know the urgency is gone now but we love to hear about babies and answer even the smallest little questions that people have. :Welcome :grouphug

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Glad the little tyke is getting the antibiotic. It is always better safe than sorry. I hope the little guy is alright.

Byrd
09-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Thank you for the welcome even if it is a little late LOL i really enjoy this board and will keep you posted on Loki's development.mjs

thundersquirrel
09-10-2007, 10:21 PM
yes, we're here to help!

if you want, you could start a thread ALL for loki in the nursery. you could make the first post a little biography for us- how you found her, what you've been doing for her, etc.. we love to hear stories and we can help you monitor her basic health. :thumbsup

also feel free to peruse our extensive information on babies here. there are a LOOOOOOT of little things to add on to the basic stuff, and a lot of them greatly increase the squirrel's chance of survival!

again, :Welcome to the board! now you can be a NuT just like us! :crazy