PDA

View Full Version : Baby sneezing

babedizzle
09-09-2007, 08:48 PM
My 6 week old grey squirrel has been sneezing since his second feeding earlier today. My fiance fed him and he may have got a bit of formula in his nose. I immediately wiped his nose and used an aspirator but no formula came out. He's eating normally and acting as spunky as ever but the sneezing worries me. I'm trying to get in contact with a rehabber in Ohio but for now I'm doing the best I can do. Any advice?

4skwerlz
09-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Hi Babedizzle,

Sorry you're having problems. You must be really worried. I think you're right, your fiance might have accidentally let him aspirate. The good news is, a 6-week-old is stronger than a pinkie. Still, it is something to watch. To be on the safe side, why don't you keep trying to contact either a vet or rehabber nearby. That way, you'll have help if you need it.

Can you tell us all the details about your squirrel, just for background info? How you got him, how old, what exactly you've been doing, feeding him, just everything you can think of. That really helps everyone to help you better. Thanks.

babedizzle
09-09-2007, 09:09 PM
My fiance's brother rescued him and two siblings from a fallen nest about a week ago. For the first few days I had him, I kept him in a shoe box with a heating pad underneath and towels inside that he could snuggle up in. I got him warm, then I fed him some Pedialyte and Esbilac formula. Now that he's doing so good I bought him a bird cage, as well as some squirrel biscuits from Chris's Squirrel's and More. I've been mixing 1 part Esbilac with 2 parts water and he's been eating anywhere from 12-14 CC's per feeding. What should I watch for as signs of aspiration, other than clicking?

4skwerlz
09-09-2007, 09:19 PM
My fiance's brother rescued him and two siblings from a fallen nest about a week ago. For the first few days I had him, I kept him in a shoe box with a heating pad underneath and towels inside that he could snuggle up in. I got him warm, then I fed him some Pedialyte and Esbilac formula. Now that he's doing so good I bought him a bird cage, as well as some squirrel biscuits from Chris's Squirrel's and More. I've been mixing 1 part Esbilac with 2 parts water and he's been eating anywhere from 12-14 CC's per feeding. What should I watch for as signs of aspiration, other than clicking?

Thanks for the info. And thanks for saving this little one. Sounds like you're doing a good job. Do you mind if we just go through some basics first? So you've had him about a week. How is his activity level? Is he pooping and peeing? Do yo have a scale so you can weigh him? Can you get a picture of him? (Sorry for all the questions.....:D Just want to get the whole picture)

Sorry, I didn't answer your question. As for signs of pneumonia, clicking is a sign. But often they get more lethargic or start eating less also.

babedizzle
09-09-2007, 09:24 PM
He was peeing and pooping on his own from the start without stimulation. I've had to change my pants twice today because he peed on them, so he's doing great as far as bathroom duty is concerned. I don't have gram scales but I can tell he's filled out a lot more in the past couple of days and his tail has gotten bushier, as well. I just hope he quits this sneezing business ... it'll keep me up all night, worrying. How long does it take for pneumonia to set in after aspiration? I'm going to try to get him into a vet tomorrow but I don't know if they will see him since it's illegal to own a squirrel without a permit.

4skwerlz
09-09-2007, 09:30 PM
He was peeing and pooping on his own from the start without stimulation. I've had to change my pants twice today because he peed on them, so he's doing great as far as bathroom duty is concerned. I don't have gram scales but I can tell he's filled out a lot more in the past couple of days and his tail has gotten bushier, as well. I just hope he quits this sneezing business ... it'll keep me up all night, worrying.

It's great that he's pottying fine. Filling out is good. Good signs! The sneezing is very worrisome, I agree. Unless you can get ahold of antibiotics in the middle of the night, there might not be much you can do RIGHT NOW. However, I'm thinking of a few ideas. Just a few more questions to help me, if you don't mind. Is he in a bird cage now? Does he still have a heat source? Also, a tiny detail, "towels" can be bad because of the loops which can tangle their little claws. Can you switch to t-shirts, baby blankets, or fleece?

4skwerlz
09-09-2007, 09:33 PM
I see that our excellent Ohio rehabber Squirrels Rule and Bunnies Too, is online now. You couldn't ask for better help.

babedizzle
09-09-2007, 09:39 PM
I did get in contact with Squirrelsruleandbunnies too, and she's going to get me the numbers of rehabbers in Ohio tomorrow. Rockie's bird cage is on top of a heating pad and I will switch to t-shirts ASAP.

4skwerlz
09-09-2007, 09:40 PM
I did get in contact with Squirrelsruleandbunnies too, and she's going to get me the numbers of rehabbers in Ohio tomorrow. Rockie's bird cage is on top of a heating pad and I will switch to t-shirts ASAP.

Sounds good! You couldn't be in better hands! Just follow SR&BT's advice and you'll be fine. Best of luck. And :Welcome to TSB.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-09-2007, 09:50 PM
I am heading to bed, but everything is under control for the night. I think this is just a case of a worried mommy, but you can't be too careful. I am going to give babedizzle some phone numbers for rehabbers in her area in the morning and she can get ahold of one of them about the baby. I don't think this is anything serious though and I would not recommend putting the baby on antibiotics at this point. I think Rockie will be just fine. We will see if the sneezing has stopped in the morning, I think it will!

babedizzle
09-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks so much for all of your help. I will let you know how Rockie is doing in the morning! :Love_Icon

babedizzle
09-10-2007, 06:30 AM
So much for aspiration ... Rockie ate 18 CC's of formula this morning, which is 3 CC's more than usual. After he ate he climbed up the side of his cage, peed out the side of it, climbed back down and started to build a nest with his alfalfa beddng, which is when I heard him sneeze a couple of times. Do you think the bedding is making him sneeze? I hope not because he really seems to like building his little nest with it.

Anyways, all is well again. Thanks for all of your help and concerns!:crazy

island rehabber
09-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Good news, babedizzle!!:thumbsup Now the only way to tell if your little dude has an alfalfa allergy is to remove it for a few days and see if the sneezing stops. I've never used that particular bedding and so I can't say from experience, but certain types of bedding will give certain rodents respiratory problems. My suggestion would be to remove it, but give Rockie something equally fun as a replacement, like paper towels to shred or even nice green leaves. Then see if he stops sneezing. :dono:)

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-10-2007, 06:41 AM
:wahoo That is great news! I am so glad it didn't turn out to be anything serious. You will still want to keep an eye on him for the next 2-3 days because sometimes it takes a little while for pneumonia to set in. Be sure to feed him nice and slow too and keep your thumb on the plunger to the syringe to stop Rockie from sucking so hard he pulls the plunger himself. I had that happen once, I was feeding a squirrel with a 5 cc syringe (after that I never used a 5 ccer with a squirrel again, I stick with the 3 cc syringe now) and he sucked it so hard he pulled the plunger and sucked 3 cc within 2 seconds. It all started coming out his nose. Luckilly he was just fine and didn't get sick, but it sure did scare me and I learned my lesson!

As far as the bedding, I don't think alfalfa is the best choice. Alfalfa and Timothy hay are like bacteria magnets. If Rockie pees in bed the bacteria will be all over the alfalfa and could get him sick. I may be overreacting, but I wouldn't use it. Baby blankets are the best way to go! Also, you can make him a cool little t-shirt nest if you want. Just put two sticks through the arm holes and tent them to the head hole is open and put them up in the cage. Tie off the bottom of the shirt and he will have a nice cozy little den. My squirrels always love it!

island rehabber
09-10-2007, 06:44 AM
Great idea, SR&B2, and thanks for clarifying the bedding issue. I was wondering why I had never seen alfalfa or timothy hay suggested in any of my squirrel books for bedding. They always say newspaper (no colored ink), paper towels, and old T-shirts, fleece etc.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Here's a couple of pictures of Zip and Zap, my spring babies in their t-shirt nest:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r299/4bunnies/000_3877.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r299/4bunnies/000_3874.jpg

And don't worry, if your little tyke is still on a heating pad, just make it so the bottom of the nest hits the ground then when Rockie is in the nest he will still get heat from the heating pad.

babedizzle
09-10-2007, 07:46 AM
I removed the alfalfa bedding this morning and added newspaper and t-shirts for now. He hasn't sneezed since I put the new bedding in, so I think that was the issue. And out of curiosity, why do they say not to use newspaper that has colored ink?

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-10-2007, 07:57 AM
The ink is poisonous to squirrels. Make sure the little guy doesn't chew on the newspaper! I would just use the t-shirts and get him a baby blanket to snuggle on.

island rehabber
09-10-2007, 09:14 AM
The ink is poisonous to squirrels. Make sure the little guy doesn't chew on the newspaper! I would just use the t-shirts and get him a baby blanket to snuggle on.

I love the fleecy airline-style throws and blankets. They really hold in the heat, whereas T-shirts and old sheets seem to always feel cold and damp. :dono As far as the newspaper ink, I heard a horrible story once (not sure if it was on TSB or another rehabber board) that this family had a great time watching their pet squirrel grab pages of the Sunday color sports section and stuff it in his nest box. They watched him for an hour, and he filled his nest with the paper until they couldn't even see him in there. The next morning, they found him dead. Sorry to be a downer but that story made quite an impression on me so maybe it will cause someone else to throw that colored newspaper out of their squirrel's cage. :peace