PDA

View Full Version : Suckling siblings

WCN
11-16-2020, 05:18 PM
I have 4 baby grays, one of them seemed to be a favorite for the others to suckle. I have separated him but he is still healing. His urethra scabbed over at the tip and I have been trying to work diligently to keep it open so he can pee. However, I have recently noticed that when he is able to pee that it is very cloudy, maybe even puss in it. I wonder if he may have developed a UTI and if so, how do I treat it? I am unable to take him to a local vet, however I do have some enrofloxacin 10% liquid for birds. Can I, should I give this to him?

Mel1959
11-16-2020, 06:39 PM
Make sure you keep his penis free from scabs by soaking it in warm water and gently removing any scabbing. A little coconut oil rubbed into the penis may help it to remain open.

Many times suckling is a result of not being fed enough. How much and how often are you feeding? What are you feeding? We recommend that babies be fed between 5-7% of their weight at each feeding. You should weigh your baby at the same time each day so you can adjust the amount to feed for the day.

I don’t think I’d treat for a UTI yet. Try offering some extra water sweetened with sugar or honey IN BETWEEN feedings. He can also have some diluted cranberry juice which might help if he has the beginnings of a UTI.

WCN
11-16-2020, 06:49 PM
Make sure you keep his penis free from scabs by soaking it in warm water and gently removing any scabbing. A little coconut oil rubbed into the penis may help it to remain open.

Many times suckling is a result of not being fed enough. How much and how often are you feeding? What are you feeding? We recommend that babies be fed between 5-7% of their weight at each feeding. You should weigh your baby at the same time each day so you can adjust the amount to feed for the day.

I don’t think I’d treat for a UTI yet. Try offering some extra water sweetened with sugar or honey IN BETWEEN feedings. He can also have some diluted cranberry juice which might help if he has the beginnings of a UTI.

I've been feeding puppy formula about 4-5 ml every 3 hours. They are about 3-4 weeks old now (bottom teeth present but eyes not yet open) and weighing in between 67 and 77 grams. I have been clearing away the scab as you suggested but I will try the coconut oil and extra hydration advice. Hopefully this helps. Thank you.