PDA

View Full Version : NEED ACYCLOVIR (Valtrex, Zovirax, etc) ASAP FOR POX SQUIRRELS! PLEEEEEEZ

island rehabber
10-01-2020, 05:36 PM
Folks, I hate begging but everything I've tried hasn't worked, including going to my old vet now in Arizona and pleading with him to write me a scrip for this stuff. He keeps forgetting......:shakehead
I will take liquid, tablets, fairy dust, you name it -- anything that contains acyclovir under any brand name! What happened is this: My first pox squirrel presented with symptoms about 3 weeks ago. I had Zovirax on hand, but it was very old. Drugs in emulsion do not last as long as tablets. I used it anyway and it held the pox at bay but the damn disease still progressed. Last week I swore Charlotte was getting worse.

Last weekend, I got some new acyclovir from a rehabber friend -- just as I noticed symptoms in two other of my babies. :Cry Put them all on the new stuff, along with Nutriferon and some immune-booster nut balls as well. All three have shown improvement, finally! Annnndddd......I used the very last drop of the new stuff today. :hissyfit

All I could do was put them back on the old stuff, but it barely works. Does ANYONE have access to valcyclovir, Valtrex, Zovirax, ANY of this stuff?? I will drive to you, pay you to FedEx it, ANYTHING. Just when I seem to see the kids improving I run out of this drug!!

Please. I can't lose Charlotte, Aquila and BillyBob. :(

Diggie's Friend
10-01-2020, 06:07 PM
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?57594-Pycnogenol-possible-source-of-help-for-the-healing-of-lesions-from-Squirrel-Pox&p=1241733#post1241733

Have you checked out the info on, "Dragon's blood" sap from S.A. tree long used (external) for health issues.

There's a link to a webpage on the use of this source aka: "invention", that looked promising.

For Pycnogenol, perhaps 10 mg. (one third of a capsule daily) would be a dose to start with daily to see if it counters the growth and spread of the pox.

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Orgins-Pycnogenol-Capsules-Count/dp/B00CLYNA14

island rehabber
10-01-2020, 06:18 PM
Very interesting, DF -- will check it out. At least it's available without a damn Rx...:tap

stepnstone
10-01-2020, 07:16 PM
So sorry Maura, :grouphug wish I had something to help, thankfully I've never had to deal with pox.
I hope something or someone can come through for you, poor babies. :(

Spanky
10-01-2020, 07:17 PM
I have Acyclovir... PM me the address to send to and it will go FedEx tomorrow AM.

island rehabber
10-01-2020, 08:01 PM
Spanky, bless you---a fellow admin beat you to it! i'm good, so keep yours and i hope you never have to use it:grouphug

God I love the people of TSB.

Diggie's Friend
10-01-2020, 10:35 PM
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?57594-Pycnogenol-possible-source-of-help-for-the-healing-of-lesions-from-Squirrel-Pox&p=1322758#post1322758

Just so there is no confusion, the croton plant, which commonly goes by the name, "Dragon's blood, isn't the only plant source in the World that goes by this, 'generic name'. There is another plant, a cinnabar source not related to the croton plant, that is also has been given the same general name; yet this one is highly toxic and poisonous.

With the croton plant, it was the sap of this plant that has been used by ancient peoples as a bandage as it contains for one latex that has been used to seal out bacteria from the environment. It has been found to counter Parapox in some animals; yet in researching sources to potentially use to treat or improve conditions in any new species, it is always needful to do a careful comprehensive work up before considering using a new source to treat specific conditions both safely and effectively. If I happen to come across more on this I will post it on the thread in the Specific Ailments Forum.

Pycnogenol on the other hand has been studied for over 50 years in over 100 studies.

island rehabber
10-02-2020, 07:06 AM
gonna move this out of Emergency and into the pox forum so info will be preserved. Thanks everyone!:grouphug

Diggie's Friend
03-12-2022, 01:14 AM
In regard to a potential case of squirrel pox in the PNW region; I wasn't able to find any report initially. then I found noted in a study the following. Not entirely sure, but this may mean that this is a different strain of squirrel pox.

A putative leporipoxvirus has been described from skin lesions on western gray squirrels (Sciurus griseus griseus) in California. Classification as a leporipoxvirus was based on serological cross-reaction with Californian MYXV, although it did not cross-react with South American MYXV and electron microscopy showed particles with surface striations that were not typical of other leporipoxviruses [50].

Taz2020
03-12-2022, 01:47 PM
I have a bunch of extra valacyclovir I can send so you can have some on hand if you need it again. Like 90-180 extra tablets…

PM your address and I’ll send it out.

CritterMom
03-12-2022, 02:00 PM
For some reason, this thread which is from 2020, poped up as a new thread today. I already PMd Island Rehabber because it got me, too! I was the one who sent her acyclovir in 2020 and I wanted to know why the heck she hadn't contacted me again! She doesn't have any pox squirrels now. TSB is apparently coughing up a hairball today... (that is technical internet vernacular, BTW)!

Taz2020
03-12-2022, 02:23 PM
Well hell…

Although the offer still stands…We seriously have a bunch of the stuff we’ll never use. (My shingle suffering other half takes it daily.) It’s on a mail in auto-refill which “resupplies” every 2 1/2 months instead of every three, needless to say we now have quite an overstock of the stuff. I’d be more than happy to send anyone some to have on hand.

Diggie's Friend
03-13-2022, 01:21 AM
island rehabber wrote:
gonna move this out of Emergency and into the pox forum so info will be preserved. Thanks everyone!

Charley Chuckles
03-13-2022, 07:11 AM
Well hell…

Although the offer still stands…We seriously have a bunch of the stuff we’ll never use. (My shingle suffering other half takes it daily.) It’s on a mail in auto-refill which “resupplies” every 2 1/2 months instead of every three, needless to say we now have quite an overstock of the stuff. I’d be more than happy to send anyone some to have on hand.

That's very kind, hang on I'm sure you'll have someone who will need it 👍