PDA

View Full Version : Vomiting after Fox Valley 20/50

Zomlies
09-28-2020, 01:11 AM
Hello everyone!

Thank you for letting me join. This board has been extremely helpful in raising my chipmunk, Ellie!

When I first found her she appeared to be 3-4 weeks, so I started giving her Esbilac puppy milk (powdered) and it was causing bloat and malnourishment, which led to a lot of fur loss. I realize TSB does not recommend that anymore, but I initially didn't find this site right away. I found another one that clearly had incorrect information. When I found TSB Crittermom helped me out by recognizing that it was malnutrition right off the bat. I got Ellie on henry's blocks, Mazuri, and Zupreem blocks that she is eating now. I also got Fox Valley Day One 20/50 squirrel formula.

Since I started giving that to her she has been occasionally vomiting a tiny bit of it up after feeding. I don't know if it's because she sometimes gets hyper and run around too much right after feeding, if it's the formula's temp being too hot or too cold, or if it's the formula itself? She seems to be about 6 weeks old now and eats mostly block. Her fur is almost completely back and coming in thick, with the exception of her tail (could be residual from the malnutrition?), and she has tons of energy!

What do you think the causes for the vomiting is?

Also, I attached some photos of the progression of the fur loss/gain for anyone who is interested in seeing that.
*Please note that the bin (with cover & fencing) is just a temporary cage until her custom one is finished being built. She is growing so fast now it made sense to come up a temp cage and to spend the money on a much better one when she is fully grown. Now that she can climb and jump it is becoming more and more necessary to get that new cage done quick.

Thank you all for the help!

CritterMom
09-28-2020, 04:36 AM
Look at all that fur!!

It looks like she is eating the blocks and stuff well. I do know that chippies wean earlier than squirrels do. I think under the circumstances I would simply stop the formula and see if you can monitor her weight while you do to ensure there is no weight loss. I can't believe how much better she looks!

island rehabber
09-28-2020, 06:43 AM
Once in awhile i have had this with a baby squirrel who eats with such enthusiasm that they urp up a little bit of formula. It always seems to be with FV that this happens. I would taper off the amount she's eating...she is just gorgeous! 😁

Zomlies
09-28-2020, 07:43 AM
Thank you both! I will try reducing/stopping formula and monitor her weight! That's great to hear that she may be weaning sooner than I thought.

Her fur came back in less than a week! I couldn't believe how fast it happened! This is a perfect example of how there should still be caution with Esbilac puppy milk. It's like night and day!