PDA

View Full Version : Penile prolapse. HELP!!

Cotilea
09-14-2020, 09:06 AM
I was just given a baby that looks to have a penile prolapse. He is approximately 5 weeks old and it has been like this for about 24hrs. I have cleaned it up some, and fed him (still eating well). As I was cleaning it he did urinate which I'm hoping is a good sign. Please help as I have never had to treat/deal with a prolapse and there aren't any vets around me that will work on squirrels.

Cotilea
09-14-2020, 09:57 AM
I was just given a baby that looks to have a penile prolapse. He is approximately 5 weeks old and say it has been like this for about 24hrs. I have cleaned it up some, and fed him (still eating well). As I was cleaning it he did urinate which I'm hoping is a good sign. Please help as I have never had to treat/deal with a prolapse and there aren't any vets around me that will work on squirrels.

BCChins
09-14-2020, 11:56 AM
I do not know where in Florida you are but if you go to the search bar and type in Florida Vets it will take you to a page where you can try to find one near you. You might need to go though a few posts to find one.

OK I did that for you and here is the results:
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1481318

island rehabber
09-14-2020, 12:32 PM
What part of Florida are you in? FL has more excellent squirrel vets than other states...maybe we can help you locate one

Cotilea
09-14-2020, 12:58 PM
I live near ocala, fl.

CritterMom
09-14-2020, 01:33 PM
In the meantime - and by the way, one of our experienced rehabbers was here just last week with an identical problem and this FIXED it.

Slightly dampen his penis and cake it with regular table sugar. Pack it around the penis like a little sugar cast and leave it to dry and harden. Leave it be for several hours, then dissolve it off with water and see if the penis has retracted. If not, redo the sugar cast. Sugar does a really nice job of pulling edama swelling which is what this is, out and it is about as gentle as you can get.

Is he sucking himself or is there a sibling doing this? Whatever, that has to stop, obviously. Try feeding a little more - this can start as hunger behavior.

Cotilea
09-14-2020, 03:28 PM
It was a sibling to my understanding. Thank you for the advice. I'll keep you posted.

Mel1959
09-14-2020, 03:39 PM
If you need a vet you aren’t too far from Micanopy Animal Hospital in Gainesville. Dr. Molly Pearson sees squirrels. Call to be sure she’s still at this clinic.

The other choice is a drive to the east side of the state to Ravenwood Vet Clinic in Port Orange. 386-788-1550. Dr. Alicia Emerson sees squirrels.

Cotilea
09-15-2020, 04:04 PM
Just an update:
Was able to get selling to go down and penis started receding back into the sheath. Unfortunately, it looks like the sheath is torn there for the penis will not stay in place. Called all vets in my area and none see squirrels. He was eating well until this afternoon. And has not pooped in the time I have had him (a little over 24hrs) and lady that gave him to me said he hadn't poop since the incident making it about 48hrs.

Mel1959
09-16-2020, 07:22 AM
I posted a couple of vet options above. Give one of them a call. If the sheath is torn it might need a stitch to keep it closed. You can call Dr. Emerson in Port Orange and talk to the office staff and they will pass the message on to her and might offer some advice.

Sometimes it takes a few days for there to be enough food in their systems to produce poop. Continue to stimulate. You might try rubbing a little coconut oil around the rectum to see if that will help. Warm baths up to their armpits can help move things along, too.

Don’t forget to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate in between formula feedings. The extra fluids help with constipation.