PDA

View Full Version : Ready For A Cage?

LilPaige
09-07-2007, 08:12 AM
Hi all! I have a question about my new baby. He is 5-6 wks old and just opened his eyes fully yesterday. I was on the forum last night because he wouldn't eat, but now he's eating again. He's up to 9 cc's. So anyway, I want to know if I should move him to the biggger cage? I have a large bunny cage that my Alvie used to be in. I'm not sure if I should move him because I'm worried that he might get cold. But also he seems to be very active and walking around alot more, so I thought he might like the extra room.
I can't believe that Wednsday his eyes weren't open and he pretty much slept all the time and now Friday he's so alert and walking around like he's been doing it forever. Alvie was bigger when he was orphaned so I never went through this stage with him. It's crazy how fast these babies grow.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-07-2007, 08:16 AM
I would hold off on the new cage for a week or so. They can't see the greatest when they first open their eyes and can hurt themselves falling from the top of a big cage. I usually keep mine in a 30 gallon tank when their eyes open. Then they have more room to walk around but still not much room for climbing. At his age, they start running and doing a practice hop. It is too cute! They will just be going along and then all of a sudden jump up and put their front paws out. Too cute. So, I would hold off a little longer before moving him.

susanw
09-07-2007, 03:31 PM
I was told that they should stay on heat for about a week, once they open their eyes. We do move them into a fish tank, with a heating pad under the tank. You must keep the bottom covered, so they don't get to hot. We use folded newspapers on the bottom of the tank, and give them a t-shirt to hide and cuddle in. You can start introducing him to solid foods, but keep up with the formula to.

LilPaige
09-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I bought a 30 gallon clear container today and I still have a heating pad underneath half of it. he has some pillow cases to snuggle under. I will wait a couple of weeks to put him in a cage.

Rhapsody
09-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Are there any LINKS to cages I can buy when they are ready to be moved to one? (2 squirrels)

.... and about what age would that be in weeks?