PDA

View Full Version : Please Advice for An Injured Wild Squirrel

Mona_2020
09-09-2020, 11:34 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, but hoping I can get some advice regarding an injured squirrel I've come across. About 2 weeks ago, I spotted a squirrel crossing the street while dragging a very bloody leg. I didn't have the right equipment to handle/rescue it at the time (also, it was still able to escape because there were bushes and backyards). I wish I'd captured it then. I thought it had died but then I spotted a few days ago. Now it has a hand cut off with bones sticking out and back leg bone exposed. It is using one hand and one leg to get around (i.e, right hand works and left leg works, because of this at least it can balance). I had seen it for 3 days straight and was trying to feed it so I could capture it, but he/she fears me and keeps its distance. I saw it climb a tree for the first time with some bread it spotted, that at least brought me some comfort. It seems it was recovering in a park nearby (and there are many bushes/connected to backyards (it got through the smallest space of fencing because it was so terrified I'd catch it)).

I'm not sure if I'll bump into him/her again, but should I leave it alone (because seems to be getting stronger/can climb), or keep trying to feed it around the same time if it still is in the park (didn't see it yesterday), and hopefully gain its trust then capture? And, how can I capture this squirrel?

It's definitely growing stronger, at least from what I saw and hoping. I can't even imagine how much pain it has experienced, but I wish I could help this brave squirrel.

Thanks in advance

Rock Monkey
09-09-2020, 12:52 PM
Hmm. Wow.

In my opinion, it can't hurt to try to help. (If it were me, it would make me feel bad not to try.)

Going at the same time(s) will increase your chances of seeing it. If you speak calmly and move slowly it will learn to recognize you by sight and sound.

Quick movements or unusual sounds (rustling plastic or paper bags) will startle it.

Good food to bring are cooked squash or sweet potato. Avocado. Plain, raw almond, nothing added. Put some on the ground or better maybe in a tree and then back away.

Don't look directly at it. Don't stare. Let it come to you. It may take a while to earn its trust. Be patient. Be calm and totally relaxed, they can read this.

If you chase after it it will regard you as a predator.

How old is it?

Can you post a picture?

Spanky
09-09-2020, 01:29 PM
If you are going to attempt a capture, complete all your plans and preparation ahead of time. Have a cage ready, in a dark, warm and quiet space. Best way to catch him is probably a have-A-Hart live trap.

In addition to the good food, bring him (her?) some fresh, clean water!

Mona_2020
09-09-2020, 06:39 PM
Hmm. Wow.

In my opinion, it can't hurt to try to help. (If it were me, it would make me feel bad not to try.)

Going at the same time(s) will increase your chances of seeing it. If you speak calmly and move slowly it will learn to recognize you by sight and sound.

Quick movements or unusual sounds (rustling plastic or paper bags) will startle it.

Good food to bring are cooked squash or sweet potato. Avocado. Plain, raw almond, nothing added. Put some on the ground or better maybe in a tree and then back away.

Don't look directly at it. Don't stare. Let it come to you. It may take a while to earn its trust. Be patient. Be calm and totally relaxed, they can read this.

If you chase after it it will regard you as a predator.

How old is it?

Can you post a picture?

===
===
Hi,

Yes, since the day I saw it I've been feeling terrible wondering what happened to it. I saw it again today and fed it (but will include avocado as well). Also, today it wasn't doing as well, maybe because it's a bit chilly out and I think it's just relying on food left around to feed the ducks. Definitely an adult, maybe new adult and today looks like it chewed the skin around the exposed bone...just a skeleton of it's leg left.

I'm hoping that this situation will have a good ending. I hope to see it tomorrow, I would really like to capture it. I scared it today, because I had another failed rescue attempt...

Thanks for your relpy, appreciate it

Mona_2020
09-09-2020, 06:42 PM
If you are going to attempt a capture, complete all your plans and preparation ahead of time. Have a cage ready, in a dark, warm and quiet space. Best way to catch him is probably a have-A-Hart live trap.

In addition to the good food, bring him (her?) some fresh, clean water!

Thank you for your reply, appreciate it. Luckily she/he's staying close to a small pond also, it's been a little rainy