PDA

View Full Version : Bloody stool

Pfcrane
09-07-2020, 06:42 PM
I rescued 3 squirrels at 2-3 weeks. They are now 5 weeks. Eating esbilac. But the 1 boy was constipated this morning. Anus was plugged and rectum distended. I soaked him, massaged his belly, gave him just water until he started passing stool. It was bloody and then pink tinged then white. Not eating well yet. Gave raw honey and water then diluted formula. Took 5cc. Seems to be stable but not active. Any suggestions? Nutrical? Diluted formula until improvement?

Spanky
09-07-2020, 07:00 PM
It is difficult to provide meaningful feedback without more information / history.

Is the Esbilac the powdered version... and what it the expiration?

How much does he weigh, how much are you feeding and how often?

If he was only constipated since this morning, that really is not a long time. In absence of more info I would be concerned he is dehydrated. The "white" suggests undigested formula which typically is from overfeeding.

How much raw honey did you give?

Pfcrane
09-07-2020, 08:26 PM
It is difficult to provide meaningful feedback without more information / history.

Is the Esbilac the powdered version..YES. and what it the expiration? 10/2022 2parts water 1 part Esbilac powder.

How much does he weigh, 63g. how much are you feeding and how often? 3cc every 3 hrs until last Friday. Then Saturday 4cc q 4hrs 8am-9pm Sunday but last feeding last night was 3 cc. The other 2 take 6cc q 4 hrs. 5% of body weight. They are 74g

If he was only constipated since this morning, that really is not a long time. In absence of more info I would be concerned he is dehydrated. In absence of more info I would be concerned he is dehydrated. [B[B]]gave water today several times Last feeding tonight was diluted formula 1cc water:5cc formula. He took 5 cc.

The "white" suggests undigested formula which typically is from overfeeding. I feed according to body weight and their interest up to the expected max limit. But what about the blood?
Thanks

1 drop of honey in 1cc of water. Twice today.

Spanky
09-07-2020, 09:44 PM
There is nothing here to explain the bloody stools IMO.... is the formula being mixed up ahead of time to make sure it is more fully dissolved?

I would consider transitioning to Fox Valley 20/50 at this age.

With his being inactive have you ruled out Aspiration Pneumonia?

I would not dilute the formula any more than 50%, JMO.

Maybe others will have some ideas / suggestions.

Pfcrane
09-08-2020, 07:59 AM
Thanks Spanky, I mix the formula the night before and mix thoroughly with very hot water. I add a small amount of heavy cream. Less than 3cc to 160grams of formula.
Breathing seems labored and a few clicks. Could be AP.
Do you think I should try antibotics? My source for Albon is out of town. She is checking with another rehabber.

Spanky
09-08-2020, 09:53 AM
Thanks Spanky, I mix the formula the night before and mix thoroughly with very hot water. I add a small amount of heavy cream. Less than 3cc to 160grams of formula.
Breathing seems labored and a few clicks. Could be AP.
Do you think I should try antibotics? My source for Albon is out of town. She is checking with another rehabber.

If you suspect AP, then yes I would treat for AP right away.

With the bloody stools I would leave the heavy cream out for at least for him... could be he is not tolerating the cream well at all and that *might* be the cause of the bloody stools.