PDA

View Full Version : Questions about release

macytree
09-06-2007, 10:39 PM
I realize that I'm just learning to care for my baby, but I'd like to get a jump on learning about release. I've been scouring the web for information and there is just way too much conflicting information out there, so I thought I'd ask here. Sorry for the repetition I'm sure it's all been asked before.

What is the approximate age to release?

What must she know how to do before I release her?

As we live in an apartment I can't really do a soft release like I've read about. I can put her cage outside for a couple of hours a day. Let her walk around for a bit every day. Lastly I can put her nest box up for awhile until she builds her own nest but that's about it. Will those things help make it smooth?

I want to release her in my neighborhood. We have plenty of trees, no loose dogs, only one stray cat. We do have snakes and the occasional hawk though. There aren't a lot of squirrels in the neighborhood, there are a few so she won't be lonely, but there aren't so many that she'll be pushed out by territorial bullies. There's not much traffic in my neighborhood but right outside of it there's a big street, so if she goes for a walk it could be problematic. That's all I can think to describe it. Does it sound like a fairly decent place or would I be better off looking for someplace totally wooded and wild?

There's a great spot next to the mall that I think she'd do well at, except she won't know the neighborhood at all and that worries me.

What else do I want to know.. oh how will she know what to eat outside? Do I need to teach her how to find food? How do I do that?

We're in a warm state so climate and winter aren't a problem, if that matters.

Thanks for humoring me and helping me out so much!

Mars
09-07-2007, 12:08 AM
I realize that I'm just learning to care for my baby, but I'd like to get a jump on learning about release. I've been scouring the web for information and there is just way too much conflicting information out there, so I thought I'd ask here. Sorry for the repetition I'm sure it's all been asked before.

What is the approximate age to release? For a soft release with support feeding 10 to 12 weeks depending on the idividual maturity of the critters involved. Any other form of release older more like 16 to 18 weeks

What must she know how to do before I release her? She should be climbing and jumping with skill. Showing a curiosity of the outside and be antsy to get out there. She should be showing an ablity at nest building and gathering food.
As we live in an apartment I can't really do a soft release like I've read about. I can put her cage outside for a couple of hours a day. Let her walk around for a bit every day. Lastly I can put her nest box up for awhile until she builds her own nest but that's about it. Will those things help make it smooth? If you can capture her in here nest box and hang it securely in a protected spot she should do fine. Her nest box should be of wood with a baffle to protect her from preditors. Hanging the nest box without her in it won't work. aAnd she should be well estblished in the box before you move it. Do not use a new box for her release.
I want to release her in my neighborhood. We have plenty of trees, no loose dogs, only one stray cat. We do have snakes and the occasional hawk though. There aren't a lot of squirrels in the neighborhood, there are a few so she won't be lonely, but there aren't so many that she'll be pushed out by territorial bullies. There's not much traffic in my neighborhood but right outside of it there's a big street, so if she goes for a walk it could be problematic. That's all I can think to describe it. Does it sound like a fairly decent place or would I be better off looking for someplace totally wooded and wild? There are no garantees. I live in the woods on a dead end back road. The nearest traffic is ona road 2 miles from me with some major wetlands in between. But somehow they find their way there. I loose release every year to that road and it breaks my heart each and everytime it happens. Squirrels travel over a pretty large range to gather food. There is no stopping it. I still release and many of them do make it..

There's a great spot next to the mall that I think she'd do well at, except she won't know the neighborhood at all and that worries me.

What else do I want to know.. oh how will she know what to eat outside? Yes, but support feeding for a while is best. It takes time to find the food sources and to start to store the food. Do I need to teach her how to find food? How do I do that?

We're in a warm state so climate and winter aren't a problem, if that matters.

Thanks for humoring me and helping me out so much!
:)