PDA

View Full Version : Baby Squirrel - Head Tilt, Help Needed!

Phoenix24k
09-05-2020, 11:49 AM
Hi! We found a tiny squirrel a few days ago that we need help with. She appears to have a problem with her back right leg and this morning woke up with her head tilting to the left. She weighs 62g and eats very well (7-10% of her weight), but seems tiny for what we think her age is. She has top/bottom teeth, tail curls slightly, full fur, fur on the underside of tail is there but short. We can't find anything that we can completely confirm her age. We are feeding her the goat milk formula recipe found on this board, while waiting for FV 20/50. She is staying the same weight and not really gaining anything. She is peeing and pooping normally. Not sure what to do about the head tilt or the leg. I don't know if this is all the info needed, or too much, but we want to get all the help we can! Thank you :) Any help is appreciated.

Phoenix24k
09-05-2020, 03:35 PM
Adding a couple pictures of our little one so you can see her. Will try to get a pic of her legs when she wakes up to eat.

Nancy in New York
09-05-2020, 03:50 PM
Did you deduct from the weight of the bowl?
Your little one looks spikey to me.
Try giving her hydration between feedings.

Personally, I would just give her:
Homemade Pedialyte
1 cup warm water
1/4 tsp salt (teaspoon)
1 Tbsp sugar (tablespoon)

Drop the salt after a couple of in between formula feedings.
I'm really shocked that she is only 66 grams.
Can you weigh 5 quarters on your scale and tell me what gram weight you get?

Edit: Do you or any friends have Prednisone?
All we would need is one tablet (10 mg total would be perfect) and we can
break it down to the right dose to see if that helps.

Phoenix24k
09-05-2020, 04:21 PM
Did you deduct from the weight of the bowl?
Your little one looks spikey to me.
Try giving her hydration between feedings.

Personally, I would just give her:
Homemade Pedialyte
1 cup warm water
1/4 tsp salt (teaspoon)
1 Tbsp sugar (tablespoon)

Drop the salt after a couple of in between formula feedings.
I'm really shocked that she is only 66 grams.
Can you weigh 5 quarters on your scale and tell me what gram weight you get?

Edit: Do you or any friends have Prednisone?
All we would need is one tablet (10 mg total would be perfect) and we can
break it down to the right dose to see if that helps.

Thank you for your reply,
I remember seeing a baby someone called "spikey" and knew she looked the same.. Is there anything I could do or add to make her more interested in the water? She doesn't really take much water or pedialyte when I try between feedings. Is your water/sugar/salt better than pedialyte? Maybe she'll be interested because of the sugar? I'm trying the 5 quarters now.

I was also shocked by her weight when we first got her and I was comparing her to pictures and weights of squirrels her (guessed) age online.. We weighed her with 2 different scales but I never guessed to actually check the validity of the scales. Haven't used them to weigh a kitten in a while. We have the Fox Valley now so we're currently switching from the goat milk formula to the fox valley. I checked with one person I knew who had prednisone from covid and they used it all. What does the prednisone do for her?

Also,
The quarters came up to 28 grams... seems accurate according to google. Scale was zeroed out.

Clare
09-05-2020, 05:01 PM
Hello. I'm not even close to an expert and I came here for advice for my squirrels. But I can share my experience with you till Nancy from New York or some other expert replies. So my baby squirrels also did not like water(I don't get pedialyte in my country) and their hair was spikey. So I gave them a mixture of water, sugar and salt for hydration. They weren't too keen on drinking that either. So I did the following:

Morning would be the time when they are the most hungry. So I tried giving them the hydrating mixture the first thing in the morning. They drink up on some mornings, but don't drink often.
But you have to hydrate them cause only then, the milk that you give them will get absorbed. Otherwise, they will further become dehydrated because the water from the body will be used for digestion(and the hair will become more spikey).
So since I had no other option but to get them hydrated, I wrapped one in a towel in such a way that she can't wiggle out(the wrapping should NOT be tight, but the folds should be in such a manner that it goes over the forelimbs but below the lower jaw, and then around the head and body). Then, I put a tiny drop of warm water mixture on the tip of her mouth. After she has swallowed it, I place another drop. So drop by drop, I feed them.
Sometimes, they would be too weak to drink a lot of water continuously. During such times, I give them the water mixture every half hour (quantity is as many drops as they will take).
Note: Make sure the water mixture is very warm(but not hot. Check the temperature with your finger or place a few drops on your inner wrist to make sure the temperature is not too hot). It encourages them to drink more.
Hope you work relentlessly to get her hydrated because hydration is KEY for squirrels. I learnt this the hard way and I don't want anyone else to be careless just cause of some water.

And the experts here on TSB, please correct me if I'm wrong. Expert opinion required on what Prednisone does.
Thank you.

Phoenix24k
09-05-2020, 05:03 PM
We gave the homemade pedialyte and she took 2.5 ml. She seemed to be leaning even more to her left this time, and her left ear was more poked out than her right. When she was finished she went back to sleep. She seems to be clicking now. I don't know what to do. Any help is appreciated. :(

Clare
09-05-2020, 05:36 PM
Clicking in the sense, did you place her close to your ear like a phone and listen. Is the clicking distinct and does it occur every time she breathes?

Do you have Cipro(the antibiotic) with you?

Nancy in New York
09-05-2020, 05:42 PM
We gave the homemade pedialyte and she took 2.5 ml. She seemed to be leaning even more to her left this time, and her left ear was more poked out than her right. When she was finished she went back to sleep. She seems to be clicking now. I don't know what to do. Any help is appreciated. :(

Prednisone would help relieve the swelling in her head which is a likely cause for the head tilt.
If she took a fall this may also help with her back legs.
Prednisone works pretty fast.

What antibiotics do you have.
For clicking, she would need Cipro (Human)/or Baytril OR Augmentin (human) or Clavamox.
AND we would need the strength in mg to dose.
Do you think she has aspirated which could be causing the clicking?

I have to go off board for about ~1/2 hour or so.
You have great people helping you out. :grouphug

One more thing. You can always give warm water with a touch of honey for taste.
Squirrels seem to like that the most for in between hydration.

Phoenix24k
09-05-2020, 05:43 PM
Hi! I just put her up to my ear and it sounds like she is clicking with each breath. Unfortunately, we do not have Cipro. I've asked a few of my neighbors and they don't have any either. I am at a loss. I feel so bad. :(

Clare
09-05-2020, 05:50 PM
What is your source of heat for the squirrel?
A heating pad or a rice buddy?
See if you can get Cipro from some medical shop. Or where are you from so that someone here may be able to reach out to you.
Until then, I would firmly suggest you give her a rice buddy and keep her in a some what small half closed half open space because rice absorbs moisture and if the area where it is placed is small, it will absorb the moisture there. It has worked for my squirrel. Place the squirrel and a very warm rice buddy in a small half open half closed container just so that the moisture gets absorbed sooner.

A rice buddy is raw rice placed in a sock and heated in a microwave. After heating, make sure that it is VERY warm(for faster absorption) but not hot. Touch the rice buddy with your fingers for 15 seconds. It should not burn. Then place it in with the squirrel.

Phoenix24k
09-05-2020, 05:58 PM
Prednisone would help relieve the swelling in her head which is a likely cause for the head tilt.
If she took a fall this may also help with her back legs.
Prednisone works pretty fast.

What antibiotics do you have.
For clicking, she would need Cipro (Human)/or Baytril OR Augmentin (human) or Clavamox.
AND we would need the strength in mg to dose.
Do you think she has aspirated which could be causing the clicking?

I have to go off board for about ~1/2 hour or so.
You have great people helping you out. :grouphug

One more thing. You can always give warm water with a touch of honey for taste.
Squirrels seem to like that the most for in between hydration.

It is very possible she aspirated. It just happened so fast, we were hydrating her with the homemade pedialyte and she loved it, and now she is clicking Almost every time she breathes and is breathing rapidly. I noticed it immediately... I've read a lot on this forum and all over the internet about how easily it happens. Only thing I could find in my medicine cabinet was clindamycin 300mg, throw out by january 2019. I'm asking one more person who sometimes has random antibiotics leftover.

I am pretty sure she took a fall. She was found on the roof and all the trees above that roof are tall trees. Its just crazy how everything bad has happened today. She seemed to be doing great yesterday and then this morning it all started going sideways.

I am so thankful to everyone here. I am so desperate to help her, even if I could just find someone in the area who is better suited to care for her.

Phoenix24k
09-05-2020, 06:04 PM
What is your source of heat for the squirrel?
A heating pad or a rice buddy?
See if you can get Cipro from some medical shop. Or where are you from so that someone here may be able to reach out to you.
Until then, I would firmly suggest you give her a rice buddy and keep her in a some what small half closed half open space because rice absorbs moisture and if the area where it is placed is small, it will absorb the moisture there. It has worked for my squirrel. Place the squirrel and a very warm rice buddy in a small half open half closed container just so that the moisture gets absorbed sooner.

She's been in a small container half on/half off a heating pad with various linens and she really took to an old children size beanie. I've been routinely warming her rice buddy back up. I hadn't thought about how the rice was absorbing moisture. We've had the container partially covered with a pillow case as we didnt have any kind of cage/enclosure. I basically just used a typical kitten setup.

I'm in Clearwater, Florida. I'll take any help I can get I just feel so defeated

Clare
09-05-2020, 06:08 PM
A rice buddy is raw rice placed in a sock and heated in a microwave. After heating, make sure that it is VERY warm(for faster absorption of moisture) but not hot. Touch the rice buddy with your fingers for 15 seconds. It should not burn. Then place it in with the squirrel.

Clare
09-05-2020, 06:09 PM
She's been in a small container half on/half off a heating pad with various linens and she really took to an old children size beanie. I've been routinely warming her rice buddy back up. I hadn't thought about how the rice was absorbing moisture. We've had the container partially covered with a pillow case as we didnt have any kind of cage/enclosure. I basically just used a typical kitten setup.

I'm in Clearwater, Florida. I'll take any help I can get I just feel so defeated

What about medical stores?

And please keep heating the rice buddy every 40 minutes. Make sure it is very warm all the time. But also give her space to move away from the rice buddy if it is too warm.

Phoenix24k
09-05-2020, 06:14 PM
A rice buddy is raw rice placed in a sock and heated in a microwave. After heating, make sure that it is VERY warm(for faster absorption of moisture) but not hot. Touch the rice buddy with your fingers for 15 seconds. It should not burn. Then place it in with the squirrel.

I have what is in my eyes a rice buddy. It's a rice warm compress thing I've had for years. I've never heard of being able to get cipro without a prescription. Only antibiotics I've ever heard of that don't require rx are fish antibiotics..

Only thing I've been able to get a hold of are dog pain pills and my old clindamycin. :sniff

Phoenix24k
09-05-2020, 06:17 PM
Right now, the clicking happens when shes laying down more than when she's held up to my ear. I have no idea what that means. It seems to come and go. She is still acting normal, if normal includes the sideways leaning and head tilt. She seems to be waking up knowing its food time.

We found someone with 2 amoxicillin's they got prescribed for their dog not too long ago. Is there anything that could be used for?

Edit: We have located 1 prednisone.

Clare
09-05-2020, 06:20 PM
I have what is in my eyes a rice buddy. It's a rice warm compress thing I've had for years. I've never heard of being able to get cipro without a prescription. Only antibiotics I've ever heard of that don't require rx are fish antibiotics..

Only thing I've been able to get a hold of are dog pain pills and my old clindamycin. :sniff

I'm sorry. We'll have to wait for someone who lives near your place and is here on TSB to reply.

Just throwing some ideas around until an expert replies. Do you have access to a vet? Can you look up some rehabbers near your place? Can you get a prescription somehow from a vet?

Social media is also quite useful. Can you post in your social media that you urgently need Cipro for your baby squirrel and that you live in Clearwater, Florida. Cause you never know from which avenue help may come from.

Clare
09-05-2020, 06:29 PM
Right now, the clicking happens when shes laying down more than when she's held up to my ear. I have no idea what that means. It seems to come and go. She is still acting normal, if normal includes the sideways leaning and head tilt. She seems to be waking up knowing its food time.

We found someone with 2 amoxicillin's they got prescribed for their dog not too long ago. Is there anything that could be used for?

Edit: We have located 1 prednisone.

Amoxicillin is not recommended as it is a penicillin drug. It didn't work for my squirrels and it just made matters worse. But please wait for expert opinion. As Nancy from New York said she'll be back in half an hour.

Clare
09-05-2020, 06:33 PM
Amoxicillin is not recommended as it is a penicillin drug. It didn't work for my squirrels and it just made matters worse. But please wait for expert opinion. As Nancy from New York said she'll be back in half an hour.

I read this from another thread where a user named Spanky has said the following:

While amoxicillin is better than nothing, it is not always effective in treating Aspiration Pneumonia (AP), so please continue to try to locate other antibiotics that may be much, much more effective. A few examples are Cipro and Augmentin, but anything you find please post the name and someone will advise on how effective it may be for AP.

Phoenix24k
09-05-2020, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the help in the interim Clare. I appreciate all the information that you are sharing.

I know the amoxicillin may not be useful, but it is 200 mg red pills, from a vet for a dog.
After asking my neighbor she asked her son, but he also only had amoxicillin, 125 mg.

I also have the prednisone, it is 20mg according to the numbers on the tablet and google (54, 760).

She is at this very moment weighing in at 65g (which is actually higher than she usually weighs after sleeping off a meal, shes usually 61-62. The picture we posted earlier was right after eating but we weren't thinking clearly then).

Nancy in New York
09-05-2020, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the help in the interim Clare

I know the amoxicillin may not be useful, but it is 200 mg red pills, from a vet for a dog.
After asking my neighbor she asked her son, but he also only had amoxicillin, 125 mg.

I also have the prednisone, it is 20mg according to the numbers on the tablet and google (54, 760).

She is at this very moment weighing in at 65g.

Tell me the shape of your red amoxi. also if there are any numbers etc on the pill.
I want to see if I can identify it on line, just to be on the safe side.

I am going to write up dosing for the Pred. This will take me a little while. I will send in a pm to you
when I'm done.

Dosing will be sent for 20 mg Prednisone for a squirrel that weighs 65 grams.

Edit: Dosing Sent

Phoenix24k
09-05-2020, 07:04 PM
Thank you so much! I will look for the PM.

The red amoxi is round and has BMP 203 on the tab.
Just in case you need it, the other amoxi is white oblong pill shaped with 3|2 on the front and an X on the back.

Should we wait to feed her? Or should we feed her then give her the dose?

Nancy in New York
09-05-2020, 07:09 PM
Thank you so much! I will look for the PM.

The red amoxi is round and has BMP 203 on the tab.
Just in case you need it, the other amoxi is white oblong pill shaped with 3|2 on the front and an X on the back.

Should we wait to feed her? Or should we feed her then give her the dose?

Feed her slowly. I will write up directions for Amoxi, though I really don't think it's necessary,
BUT if you think she could have aspirated, we probably shoule be safe.
Remember to try to find Baytril, or Clavamox, one of the other drugs mentioned.

Nancy in New York
09-05-2020, 07:31 PM
Feed her slowly. I will write up directions for Amoxi, though I really don't think it's necessary,
BUT if you think she could have aspirated, we probably shoule be safe.
Remember to try to find Baytril, or Clavamox, one of the other drugs mentioned.

Edit:

I thought I wrote this somewhere but the white pill you have is really Clavamox so this is
exactly what you need for aspiration pneumonia.

Image result for amoxi is white oblong pill shaped with 3|2 on the front and an X on the back
X 3 2 (Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium 875 mg / 125 mg) Pill with imprint X 3 2 is White, Capsule-shape and has been identified as Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium 875 mg / 125 mg.
Pharmacological class: Β-Lactamase inhibitor

Phoenix24k
09-06-2020, 11:18 AM
Good morning! I really appreciate all the information and help everyone has provided us. It is truly appreciated.

Our little girl took her second dose of the Clavamox. She is eating fine and we are hydrating in between with the pedialyte mixture. She weighed 66g before eating. Her poop seems fine, she just seems to be peeing a lot more. Her head seems to be tilted more this morning and she isn't using her back legs but she is trying to still be very active. We did take her outside for a little bit. Her left leg seems to be stronger than the right one. I know it's only 1 day into her dosing regimen of prednisone and clavamox, but I just feel bad for her. I read in another post about giving them calcium. What would you recommended we give her?

Thanks again! You all are so helpful! :Love_Icon

Rock Monkey
09-06-2020, 01:12 PM
Firstly, I am not an expert, but I lost one of two siblings to inhalation pneumonia.

One liked to snuggle and the other was still shy. If she wasn't eating or sleeping, she was snuggling, purely of her own choice and initiative.

At this age they are not able to make their own body heat well and are used to snuggling with siblings or mom almost constantly. Mine would rest between my shoulder blade between layers. This posture kept her upright, helping fluid to drain. Furthermore, she could feel me breathing and hear my heart beat. So, while I realize it is contrary to the minimize contact dictum to aid in creating an independent adult, it keeps the squirrel warm and makes them feel nurtured and loved, boosting their spirits and thus their immune system. Failure to thrive often occurs because of a lack of contact.

My two cents.

Clare
09-06-2020, 02:04 PM
Good morning! I really appreciate all the information and help everyone has provided us. It is truly appreciated.

Our little girl took her second dose of the Clavamox. She is eating fine and we are hydrating in between with the pedialyte mixture. She weighed 66g before eating. Her poop seems fine, she just seems to be peeing a lot more. Her head seems to be tilted more this morning and she isn't using her back legs but she is trying to still be very active. We did take her outside for a little bit. Her left leg seems to be stronger than the right one. I know it's only 1 day into her dosing regimen of prednisone and clavamox, but I just feel bad for her. I read in another post about giving them calcium. What would you recommended we give her?

Thanks again! You all are so helpful! :Love_Icon

Do you still hear clicking?

Spanky
09-06-2020, 02:07 PM
I read in another post about giving them calcium. What would you recommended we give her?

The calcium is for treatment of MBD caused by a calcium deficient diet (or a calcium robbing diet like nuts and seeds). Your baby on FV 20/50 should be getting all the needed calcium. MBD does not typically affect babies on proper formula (I would have said never before the Esbilac disaster of 2019).

Your baby may have a head trauma (tilting) and possibly a spinal injury, which the prednisone is her best chance of recovery. These babies are very resilient if given the right opportunity for recovery...

Phoenix24k
09-06-2020, 02:17 PM
Firstly, I am not an expert, but I lost one of two siblings to inhalation pneumonia.

One liked to snuggle and the other was still shy. If she wasn't eating or sleeping, she was snuggling, purely of her own choice and initiative.

At this age they are not able to make their own body heat well and are used to snuggling with siblings or mom almost constantly. Mine would rest between my shoulder blade between layers. This posture kept her upright, helping fluid to drain. Furthermore, she could feel me breathing and hear my heart beat. So, while I realize it is contrary to the minimize contact dictum to aid in creating an independent adult, it keeps the squirrel warm and makes them feel nurtured and loved, boosting their spirits and thus their immune system. Failure to thrive often occurs because of a lack of contact.

My two cents.

This little girl is a squirmer. She doesn't stay still unless she's in her pouch. She loves to eat and squirms around all over our lap when she is not eating. We're not hearing the clicking today which I'm happy about. Should we have her positioned differently so that any fluid in her lungs drains? She now seems to also be having diarrhea. Is this expected with the medications? Any help is appreciated. <3

What has us concerned a little more today is her hind legs. I'm hoping the introduction of the FV along with the medication and the yogurt will help her legs. We did give her some calcium to hopefully help prevent any MBD. :(

Phoenix24k
09-06-2020, 02:41 PM
The calcium is for treatment of MBD caused by a calcium deficient diet (or a calcium robbing diet like nuts and seeds). Your baby on FV 20/50 should be getting all the needed calcium. MBD does not typically affect babies on proper formula (I would have said never before the Esbilac disaster of 2019).

Your baby may have a head trauma (tilting) and possibly a spinal injury, which the prednisone is her best chance of recovery. These babies are very resilient if given the right opportunity for recovery...

We just got the FV 20/50 noon yesterday and started transitioning her over to it in the afternoon. Since she is fully on FV now we will hold off on introducing any calcium.

When we found her, she didn't appear to have any issues with her legs, other than the right one that appeared to be a little swollen. It is possible that she fell out of the tree over our house since we found her in the gutter. She jumped from the gutter to my daughter who was able to catch her. My daughter just said she appears to be loosing hair from her hind legs.

Phoenix24k
09-06-2020, 02:44 PM
Do you still hear clicking?

Hi Clare! We aren't hearing any clicking today. Would it go away so quickly? We've had the rice buddy with her and are making sure it stays warm. We also have her half on/half off of the heating pad.

Mel1959
09-06-2020, 03:24 PM
Continue the antibiotic for 5 days at least.

Phoenix24k
09-06-2020, 03:29 PM
Continue the antibiotic for 5 days at least.

We will. Her stools are runny now. Could it be because of the antibiotics, the switch to the new formula (FV 20/50) and the pedialyte? Should we be concerned about her legs? She's on the prednisone and will get her second dose later this evening. She's also getting fussy with eating. She used to eat willingly but now she's fighting it everytime we try. She's already tiny and I'm afraid she's going to loose weight instead of gaining.

Mel1959
09-06-2020, 03:41 PM
The prednisone can take many days to see any results. Do you have access to Gabapentin? It also has worked well with hind end paralysis.

Giving probiotics 2 hrs before or 2 hrs after the antibiotic dosing should help with the loose stool. You can use probiotics for people which can be found at most drug stores in capsule form. Pull the capsule apart and give enough powder to fill this “0”. You can mix it in her/his formula.

The switch to the new formula could also do it. Did you transition to the new formula slowly over several days?

Pedialyte should only be given for 24 hrs. Switch to water with a drop of honey in it and give in between feedings.

Time will tell about her legs.

Phoenix24k
09-06-2020, 04:01 PM
The prednisone can take many days to see any results. Do you have access to Gabapentin? It also has worked well with hind end paralysis.

Giving probiotics 2 hrs before or 2 hrs after the antibiotic dosing should help with the loose stool. You can use probiotics for people which can be found at most drug stores in capsule form. Pull the capsule apart and give enough powder to fill this “0”. You can mix it in her/his formula.

The switch to the new formula could also do it. Did you transition to the new formula slowly over several days?

Pedialyte should only be given for 24 hrs. Switch to water with a drop of honey in it and give in between feedings.

Time will tell about her legs.

We do not have access to Gabapentin. We had been giving her the goats milk formula (GM, yogurt, HC) for a few days and then we started switching her over to the FV yesterday after it was delivered. We've been introducing it slowly with each feeding. My daughter just tried feeding her with just the FV for the first time and she was not very receptive to it.

We only did the homemade pedialyte most of yesterday, and then switched her to water and w/ some sugar late yesterday evening. We switched it over to the water with a touch of honey today. As for the probiotics, will the yogurt that we were using in the GM Formula suffice? That is what we have been giving her before/after the antibiotic. She's only had two doses of the Clavamox so far.

Rock Monkey
09-06-2020, 04:09 PM
My squirrel would nestle between layers of my clothing, mostly between my shoulder blades which enabled me to go about most household tasks. These layers would squeeze/envelop her gently like she would be piled in with his siblings who would periodically squirm about in the nest, sort of like swaddling and cuddling an infant.

Periodically she would squirm and reposition. I always knew how she was doing and lead to a virtuous cycle of mutual contentment. The head being higher than the lungs should also help with breathing, as opposed to lying down on a towel. Living touch is critical, in my opinion.

Phoenix24k
09-06-2020, 05:19 PM
My squirrel would nestle between layers of my clothing, mostly between my shoulder blades which enabled me to go about most household tasks. These layers would squeeze/envelop her gently like she would be piled in with his siblings who would periodically squirm about in the nest, sort of like swaddling and cuddling an infant.

Periodically she would squirm and reposition. I always knew how she was doing and lead to a virtuous cycle of mutual contentment. The head being higher than the lungs should also help with breathing, as opposed to lying down on a towel. Living touch is critical, in my opinion.

Thank you for this advice! :Love_Icon We are trying this now. She was fussy at first but started to adjust and seems to be getting comfortable. :Love_Icon

Nancy in New York
09-06-2020, 05:46 PM
We will. Her stools are runny now. Could it be because of the antibiotics,

Remember yesterday I wrote saying this:

"Always give a probiotic when dosing abs, and keep the squirrel well hydrated.
You can use benebac or yogurt as the probiotic.
Give it two hours after the initial dose of Clavamox, it can be hard on their tummies
without a probiotic."

Better yet, get these probiotic capsules or something similar. Pull the capsule apart and give her the amount that will fill this zero 0
Give it to her 2 hours prior or after dosing abs.

Phoenix24k
09-06-2020, 06:14 PM
Remember yesterday I wrote saying this:

"Always give a probiotic when dosing abs, and keep the squirrel well hydrated.
You can use benebac or yogurt as the probiotic.
Give it two hours after the initial dose of Clavamox, it can be hard on their tummies
without a probiotic."

Better yet, get these probiotic capsules or something similar. Pull the capsule apart and give her the amount that will fill this zero 0
Give it to her 2 hours prior or after dosing abs.

We gave her the yogurt after we gave her the dosage of clavamox yesterday. We've tried giving her the yogurt today after the dosage but she's been very fussy. How much of the yogurt does she need?

I'll look for the probiotic you recommended and try that as well. I appreciate everything you all are doing for this little girl.:Love_Icon

CritterMom
09-06-2020, 06:52 PM
My daughter just said she appears to be loosing hair from her hind legs.

Make sure you keep her really clean. Urine, formula, diarrhea - ALL of them will burn the fur off if left to dry on the skin. You often see it on the face and forearms from formula. Make sure she gets wiped down thoroughly after eating and especially while she is having runny poops.

Phoenix24k
09-06-2020, 08:26 PM
Make sure you keep her really clean. Urine, formula, diarrhea - ALL of them will burn the fur off if left to dry on the skin. You often see it on the face and forearms from formula. Make sure she gets wiped down thoroughly after eating and especially while she is having runny poops.

Thank you. I'm so glad I found this board. I never would have thought that that would happen. I'll clean her tonight with a warm wash cloth and then will grab some baby wipes tomorrow. :Love_Icon