PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP!!! Baby Squirrel sneezing

Pancakes
08-20-2020, 06:47 PM
2 and a half weeks ago I found two baby squirrels that were orphaned by their mother. I first warmed them up in a box over a heating pad and then started gradually feeding them pedealite. Once the squirrels passed the skin pinch test, I started them on goats milk/yogurt mix. I bought the fox valley formula mix along with squirrel cubes for when they start transitioning to solid food and started them on the formula once they reached 4 weeks old.

I started out (3 weeks) feeding them 4CC per feeding, they filled out really well and got a lot more active and excited about eating. at 4 weeks I started feeding them 5CC/feeding and now at 5 weeks (eyes open) I am feeding them 6cc/feeding 4 times a day, 4 hours apart and once in the middle of the night.

They have each aspirated a few times, though only on a small amount, and I was going SUPERRRRR slow feeding them. They sneezed out most of the formula (or at least i'm pretty sure they did) and continued eating. I am using a 3cc syringe with a nipple I got when I ordered the food and solid cubes.

My concern is that these squirrels are sneezing even after feeding. One of them keeps shaking his head slightly every now and again, (seizure?). As you can probably tell, I am very worried about these little guys. They are still eating 6cc/feeding, and are super active. I don't hear any kind of a clicking noise when they breathe (I am checking daily). What do you think this could be?

If there is a rehabber in the Illinois area, I would be sincerely grateful for some tips, advice, and help making sure these sweet babies stay happy and healthy. My goal is to get these little guys healthy enough for release.

(If the image loads, those are the little guys)

Mel1959
08-20-2020, 07:23 PM
You can eliminate the night time feeding.

Are you weighing them at the same time each day, preferably in the morning, before a feeding but after stimulating? Keeping a record of weight gain as well as knowing how much to feed is helpful. These little guys should be taking 5-7% (or more) of their weight at each feeding. The 5-7% usually increases as babies get older and can tolerate a larger volume of food in their bellies without getting loose stool.

Some babies routinely snort formula, even though you are giving it very slowly. Tipping them upside down keeps it from going back into their nose and allows them to clear it. After this happens you should be vigilant for a few days listening to them to see if you detect a clicking sound coming from their lungs with each breath. Hold them to your ear like a phone. Most times they are able to clear it without it actually getting into their lungs. This is what the sneezing helps them do.

I will say that I have much better luck feeding with a 1cc syringe when my little ones seem prone to snorting the formula. The volume that comes out of a 1cc syringe is much smaller than the volume that comes out the hole of a 3cc syringe. You can check with some local pharmacies and see if they will give you a 1cc syringe. The miracle nipples fit on both.

Here is the name of the only wildlife rescue place I know of in Illinois: Herrick Wildlife Rescue, Herrick, Illinois 618-428-5266 or 217-825-7040. Maybe they can offer assistance if you need it.

Pancakes
08-20-2020, 07:37 PM
Mel,

Thank you so much. I do not currently weight them seeing as I do not own a scale. However I have one ordered and it should be here within the next few days. While I haven't weighed them, both of them have put on a significant amount of weight.

The smaller one I call "picky eater" does this guppy/fish mouth breathing thing when I am feeding him. He is the one that snorts liquid frequently, and I have been feeding him so slowly, its hard to tell the syringe is even moving. But I will get a 1CC syringe to help prevent him from in-taking more formula than he already is.

Both babies stool has been a yellow/brown and solid.

Does the 'clicking' sound sound different than their normal clicking and squeaking? When they get excited about food they always seem to perk up and make noise and eagerly eat.

Again, thank you soooooo much! You are a life saver!

RockyPops
08-20-2020, 08:04 PM
Thanks for helping and loving your babies!

They are so adorable.:hug

How old are they in that picture? They look a little scrawny!:grin2

And....what about names? We need names and lots of pics...and videos.:grin3

Pancakes
08-20-2020, 08:25 PM
They opened their eyes literally the day before that photo was taken. Are they scrawny? They should be right about 5 weeks, maybe late 5 weeks depending on when they were born. (taken 3 days ago).

And as far as names go, I'm not sure I'm going to name them. If I can find a great licensed rehabber I'm thinking about bringing them there. I really love these babies, and I want whats best for them and I'm honestly not sure if I'm whats best. I'm constantly stressing about what to do if they get sick, and how if I take them to a vet they will take them away. Then I will have no say as to where they go. I want these guys to be happy and healthy... even if it means giving them up. So, I'm trying really hard not to name them, so it doesn't make this any harder than it already is.

I have more photos for reference as to their size. I don't have a scale so I've been feeding them 6CC/feeding 4x a day.

Do you think they are to skinny? Should I be feeding them more? :grin3

RockyPops
08-21-2020, 10:48 AM
Excerpt from Baby Squirrel care...

5-7% Feeding Rule:

Start at 5%, then gradually work up to 7%.

Weigh the baby on a scale in GRAMS; multiply that number by 5% (.05) and that will be the number of cc's (or ml's) to feed per feeding. You can go up to 7% (.07) after a few feedings, unless the baby is emaciated.

For emaciated babies, you will have to start at less than 5% and work up to 7% more slowly.

Also link to Baby Squirrel care...
https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

6 pages of information on raising a baby squirrel. Hit next page button at top of page.

Thanks for the pics...
They are so sweet at that age.