PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to drive 2 hours with a 2-3 week old baby squirrel??

Marg
08-16-2020, 08:38 PM
Hello!

I have a 2-3 week old baby squirrel (well In a few days it’s be 2 weeks of having her, she must have no more that 5 days old or less).

Is it safe/ok to take a baby squirrel (not fully haired, still a pinky with tiny hairs coming through) on a 2 hour drive?

I’m thinking maybe motion sick??
Please advice!

island rehabber
08-16-2020, 09:33 PM
Squirrels are great travelers. I take mine everywhere, and the smaller the better. As they grow and get more rambunctious, longer trips are challenging but pinkies? Totally portable.

Motion sickness is never an issue. Think about it: squirrels are arboreal, born in trees to live in trees. They are often born in a leaf nest (drey) at the end of a long, skinny, bouncy branch their mom chose because heavier animals like raccoons can't get out there to harm them. Motion? Their world is constantly in motion and I always think they enjoy car trips.

Remember one thing though: travel dehydrates ALL mammals, including us (plane trips make me turn into a dry husk...). Give your babies some extra hydration before and after the trip, just in case. In between their regular feedings. They will be fine. :grin2

Marg
08-17-2020, 06:19 PM
Thank You so much!!! I will definitely hydrate before and after!!! I’m so happy to hear that! I have literally been home for 2 weeks taking care of my baby squirrel!!