PDA

View Full Version : Need help..for a week old lndian Palm Squirrel (3 striped).

saurabh111091
06-22-2020, 08:24 PM
Greetings from New Delhi,

This is Saurabh. I came across a week old indian palm squirrel two days ago. I chose to care for him(will elaborate more on this later).

I have followed a lot of details closesly and the baby seems to be doing fine for now. My only concern at this point of time is what to feed her since the internet is quite undecisive about what works for baby squirrels.

I have made sure he is warm (I use rice buddy which I reheat every 2 hours,even in the night)
I have made sure he is hydrated, I regularly do the pinch test on his back. He was extremely dehydrated when I found him.

Here is my concern:
The baby seems to be very skinny.
His poop though seems to be all over place ranging from black when he first pooped in my care to dark yellow and the latest one was a little watery with dark yellow color. The poop gets stuck to its tail once or twice.
His pee was yellow when I found him. Now it is colorless. He seems to pee a lot currently when stimulated(the whole tail got wet when he last peed)
I can post his poop collection along with pictures.

Here is what one feeding cycle to him is right now, which is something I do every 2.5 hours except from 12am to 6am:

a) I give him 5-6 mini drops out of the syringe(around 0.1ml) home made ORS from sugar/Glucon D + Salt mixed in appropriate quantities 30 mins before feeding him the below formula.
b) I give him the following formula:

1/3 boiled toned cows milk
1/3 home made curd made out of cows milk
1/3 malai (cream made out of cows milk)

I understand cows milk is not to be used so I want to replace it.
Here is what I need help with:
a) Lactogen (human baby stage 1 formula)
b) Buffalo's milk
c) Beaphor Lactol
d) Puppymilk by Royal Canin

Current Situtation:
a)

c) and d) are subject to availability at the pet store I plan to visit in the next couple hours. Hence the urgency of the post. Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

CritterMom
06-23-2020, 04:00 AM
GET THE ROYAL CANIN! It is JUST what you need!

saurabh111091
06-23-2020, 11:37 AM
GET THE ROYAL CANIN! It is JUST what you need!

thanks a lot for your response crittermom. I called around 5 pet stores today and none of them have any puppy milk replacer. They haven't received supplies since last 3 months due to the ongoing pandemic. Amazon is also out of stock. One clairification I want to make is that I discovered that the milk that I am currently serving is buffalo's. The baby, for now, is doing fine, he is pooping in good quantities and everything seems ok for now. Keep you updated as I continue to search for the Royal Canin in my quest to care for the baby the best I can. I'll be glad if you could suggest any changes to my current formula.