PDA

View Full Version : squirrel with respiratory infection -- no access to antibiotic

RebeccaBauer
05-28-2020, 01:07 PM
Greetings. This is my first time posting. I have very limited experience caring for injured animals. A few weeks ago I rescued an injured squirrel and have been caring for it. Recently it developed a respiratory issue. Runny nose. Labored breathing. Lump on chest the size of a cherry. He eats and drinks well and moves around in a limited way because of damaged legs. His physical injuries are definitely improving. He is very alert and he eats when presented with food -- nuts, fruit, avocado etc. However, the respiratory infection seems stubborn and serious. He had a very bad infestation of flees that we treated yesterday with Zodiac spray. It seems to now be under control. Our research suggests that a broad spectrum antibiotic like Baytryl is the go-to treatment for respiratory infections, however, we have no access to a vet and the local wildlife rescue centre cannot help us, as they don't seem to have access to drugs.

I'm wondering what I can do in this situation. Are there treatments that do not require a prescription? Appreciate any help.

Spanky
05-28-2020, 02:28 PM
The human equivalent to Baytril is Cipro (Ciprofloxacin): These would be best for a respiratory infection, but augmentin, clavamox and bactrim (SMP/TMZ) may also help.

I would check the medicine cabinet, ask family, friends and neighbors if they have any antibiotics. If you find something, even if not the above, list it and someone will advise of efficacy in URI treatment.

There is a product called Fish Flox you can buy OTC in some fish (pet) stores here in the USA.... that is Ciprofloxacin.

Ozzy2019
05-29-2020, 05:39 AM
Are u close to sc or can travel to sc. Cornerstone vet practice in columbia sc will see squirrels without someone being a rehabber.

Spanky
05-29-2020, 02:21 PM
Are u close to sc or can travel to sc. Cornerstone vet practice in columbia sc will see squirrels without someone being a rehabber.

Ozzy... you can view the members general location in the upper right corner of each post. This member is from Ottawa (Canada). :thumbsup

Squirrelagirl
05-29-2020, 05:59 PM
Can u post a picture of the lump on your baby’s chest it may be a bot fly if so this can weaken your baby’s immune system and make it harder for them to fight off the infection... what I’ve done to help animals in the past once exhausting all other avenues is to bring a different animal to the vet like a cat and to suggest an antibiotic I’ve never been turned down.. I don’t know how vets typically operate in your area but with my vet, if the vet has seen the animal before and has prescribed it a certain med I can get that same exact med from the vet on my word without having to bring back in the animal. If not you can try going to the doctor yourself (for a cut or something) and get them to prescribe you bactrum to prevent infection. I have also personally done this as my vet is only open twice a week and sometimes you can’t wait. Infections can turn deadly fast I just lost a cat recently despite her being on antibiotics and multiple vet visits because her infection mutated. She was doing better and 24 hours later she was dead so don’t wait!

Tink
08-09-2023, 02:09 PM
The human equivalent to Baytril is Cipro (Ciprofloxacin): These would be best for a respiratory infection, but augmentin, clavamox and bactrim (SMP/TMZ) may also help.

I would check the medicine cabinet, ask family, friends and neighbors if they have any antibiotics. If you find something, even if not the above, list it and someone will advise of efficacy in URI treatment.

There is a product called Fish Flox you can buy OTC in some fish (pet) stores here in the USA.... that is Ciprofloxacin.

OMG thank you so much for this. I unwittingly ended up with a pet squirrel...his 3 siblings went up the trees, Finster went up my leg and wouldn't leave. That was close to 3 years ago now and we have been very lucky so far but he is in bad shape now with what is probably pneumonia. It even looks like his sinuses are so badly backed up that stuff cones out his eyes and there's not a vet anywhere around here will see him. Off to get Cipro at the feed store🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

CritterMom
08-09-2023, 04:09 PM
OMG thank you so much for this. I unwittingly ended up with a pet squirrel...his 3 siblings went up the trees, Finster went up my leg and wouldn't leave. That was close to 3 years ago now and we have been very lucky so far but he is in bad shape now with what is probably pneumonia. It even looks like his sinuses are so badly backed up that stuff cones out his eyes and there's not a vet anywhere around here will see him. Off to get Cipro at the feed store🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

If not, here: https://www.springwateravian.farm/product/enrofloxacin-10-50ml/

Baytril (this is a generic - same drug) is virtually the same thing as cipro. I checked and it doesn't look like they need an Rx.

CritterMom
08-09-2023, 04:40 PM
Looks like this place may ship to Canada... https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10

Tink
08-09-2023, 05:43 PM

👋 so I ordered the Baytril but it won't be here till tomorrow sometime. I can access immediately Bactrim. Fishmox, or penicillin. Will any of these due until the Baytril arrives?

Tashahaven
08-11-2023, 05:15 AM
BUMP

Hope your squirrel is hanging in there…❤️

Spanky
08-11-2023, 06:54 AM
It would be good to know Finster's symptoms are more fully. The stuff coming out of his eyes, if that is white and milky looking, that is what happens when they are in pain.

Is the stuff coming from his nose have a color and texture? Knowing all this info would help assess which medication might be the best choice.

To dose any medications it is necessary to know the weight of the squirrels and the strength of the medication.