PDA

View Full Version : 2 baby squirrels need help

green1120
09-03-2007, 05:43 PM
does anyone know of a vet or wildlife rehab that coluld take 2 baby squirrels i found today? they are only a few weeks old, their eyes are not open yet. They were lying in my yard about to be eaten by a stray cat. One of them is ok, but the other has a bad bite wound under its chin. I cleaned it and put neosporin on it, but I really feel like it needs to be seen by someone tonight. None of the vets i called would take them.Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am in Georgia, about 1 hour north of atlanta

thanks

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-03-2007, 05:46 PM
We have a rehabber here from atlanta I believe!! BRB!
Does anyone have a phone number for Atlantasquirrelgirl??
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/member.php?u=531
In the meantime please get the babies on a heating pad set on low?
They will need some pedialyte & a syringe to feed them with....
They will need to be good and warm before they are fed anything.

Atlanta
Melanie Haire - licensed wildlife rehabilitator - all species
orphans or injuries. mahaire@mindspring.com or call 770-918-8811

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Atlanta
Sandy Mitchell, licensed wildlife rehabilitator - squirrels. anydaynow3@aol.com

Cataula
Charles and Dolores Quirk, licensed wildlife rehabilitators -
706-628-5459

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Columbus
Columbus Squirrel Rescue - Squirrels
706-322-5012

Ellijay
Wildlife Rehabilitation Sanctuary rehab all wild animals (including large mammals and birds of prey) 706-276-2980

Hamilton
Columbus Squirrel Rescue orphaned or injured small mammals (spec. flying squirrels), and hummingbirds. 706-645-2490
Richmond Hill
Survivors of the Wild deer, otter, beaver, small birds, and squirrels 912-727-3517

Savannah
Carlton Parker raccoons and squirrels 912-355-1077

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Please come back and update us :thankyou for helping them.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Here's some more:

GA
Georgia Department of Natural Resources

Atlanta, GA
Sandy Mitchell (404) 255-0079

Permits: 1999
Species: small_mammals
Comments: Cell Phone (404) 414-6696 My speciality is squirrels and other small_mammals.

Conyers, GA
Melanie Haire 770-918-8811

Permits: State (1989)/ Fed. (1990)/ mammals birds raptors RVS

Comments: Injured or orphaned all species. Specialties include songbirds river otters

dawsonville, GA
Jacquelyn Parton-Kirkland 770-888-3987 cell 706-974-5025

Permits: state (2006)
Species: small mammals
Comments: all mammals except RVS SPECIES.no birds,bunnies

Glenwood, GA
Vonda Lee Morton

Permits: GA permit (2005)

Comments: As noted above I have my state permit (GA) and will be mailing my federal application on Jan. 31.

Hamilton, GA
Bobbie Binns 706-645-2490 / 7

Permits: State (1990) Federal
Species: small_mammals RVS
Comments: Hummingbirds and specialize in raccoons.

Holly Springs, GA
Monteen McCord 770.720.1847

Permits: state & fed rehab 1985
Species: Raptors only

Lilburn, GA
Elizabeth Hartman (770)978-2151

Permits: State (1992) and state rabies vector species (2001)

Comments: I am experienced in bats and raccoons but will take any animals I am licensed for. Will do transfers as well. http //www.basicallybats.org

Lizella, GA
Anette Hilburn 478-746-8501

Permits: State (1993)
Species: small_mammals large_mammals RVS

Loganville, GA
Dr. Jessica Kidd (770) 554-6939

Species: small_mammals birds raptors
Comments: I would prefer Medical cases to orphans but will accept any wild life. Especially interested in Medical Management of Raptors

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Some of mine are repeats, but it looks like a few are new ones. Definetely keep us up to date on the little ones. I hope you find a rehabber to take them. The one with the injury sounds like it needs medical attention ASAP!

atlantasquirrelgirl
09-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Hi there. I live in Gwinnett, but working in New York this week. I will not be back in town until Friday night, and don't have my rehabber list with me. Baby needs to be put on antibiotics for that bite wound ASAP.

I recognize many of the names on that list, and most of them should be able to give you a rehabber in your county. You can also call Michael at AWARE in Conyers at (678) 418-1111, and he can give you the name of your local rehabber.

Apple Corps
09-03-2007, 11:10 PM
green1120 - the baby with the cat bite needs to be put on Baytril or Clavamox. About 1/3 of all cats carry a bacteria in their saliva called Pastuerella - deadly to fuzzers. Get one of the local vets to give you one of those for oral administration Tuesday morning - time is critical.

Also - when feeding - be certain to not let the baby aspirate any liguid into their lungs. Most hold the baby just a bit above level - head up - and bring the syringe (or eyedropper) up from the bottom and off to the side (per Mars) and slowly allow some liquid to be sucked in.

We'llget you some info on the dosage tomorow morning.

Thank you so much for caring - critters need help.

pamela lee
09-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Hope the babies are doing well this mornin'. Good luck with finding help. Thank you for caring enough for taking these babies in.Oh yeah,:Welcome .
Pamela

nenaj1
09-04-2007, 09:03 AM
I have a cat and I love him but he is a predator. I wouldn't dare let any animal hurt another.

Please pick the babies up asap.

squarletsmom
09-04-2007, 01:25 PM
What is the status on those babies?
:grouphug I hope someone has been able to get them help!!
God Bless you for saving them!:flash3

sajith
04-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Just wanted to update this thread, hoping someone someday might find this useful.

I found this forum when looking to help a little guy today, and called Sandy first. She said she used to help rescue squirrels, but not anymore, and asked me to call AWARE Atlanta (http://www.awareone.org/). Their phone number is posted right here in this forum, and it is up-to-date.

Thanks!