PDA

View Full Version : Possible Prolapse

Ter
05-03-2020, 11:54 PM
Help, i have an 8 week old squirrel with diarrhea and maybe prolapsed anus. I was feeding esbilac and he was fine. He developed loose stool and on to diarrhea. I have tried several things but I think he has a prolapsed anus. I can’t find any vets in my area who will see squirrels. I have soaked him in warm water, gave him plain yogurt mixed in his formula l, tried pumpkin. Please give advice!!

Squirrelagirl
05-04-2020, 01:17 AM
How long have u had the squirrel in your care? Is the squirrel’s rectum prutruding?

Mel1959
05-04-2020, 06:22 AM
Are you still feeding Esbilac? An 8 week old squirrel should still be taking formula. There have been many issues with Esbilac recently and one of them is diarrhea. Can you post a picture of your little ones rectum area?

Fox Valley 20/50 should be ordered and given until he’s ready to wean. We let them wean themselves....sometimes that doesn’t happen till 12 weeks or later.

A drop of pepto bismal can be given to help the diarrhea to subside. It will turn the stool black as it passes through.

Ter
05-04-2020, 10:43 AM
Are you still feeding Esbilac? An 8 week old squirrel should still be taking formula. There have been many issues with Esbilac recently and one of them is diarrhea. Can you post a picture of your little ones rectum area?

Fox Valley 20/50 should be ordered and given until he’s ready to wean. We let them wean themselves....sometimes that doesn’t happen till 12 weeks or later.

A drop of pepto bismal can be given to help the diarrhea to subside. It will turn the stool black as it passes through.

I Am still feeding esbilac.314689314689314689

Mel1959
05-04-2020, 12:29 PM
I would order the Fox Valley 20/50 and switch this little one over to it. Esbilac has had many issues over the last year ranging from diarrhea, intestinal blockage or hemorrhaging, weakened bones resulting in Metabolic Bone Disease and death. Fox Valley must be purchased online. Henrys Pets is a great place to order from. You should also order a bag of Picky Eater or Hazelnut blocks as this is the first solid food offered. Henrys has a flat $5.99 shipping charge so it’s best to get what you need at one time.

Apply a little Desitin or antibiotic ointment to his rectum to help with the discomfort.

There is a homemade goats milk formula that can be given, but it’s only temporary. It doesn’t contain enough nutrients to support him as he grows.

It is 3 parts refrigerated goats milk (powdered or condensed can must be reconstituted first)
1 part heavy whipping cream
1 part full fat yogurt (vanilla is fine, but no artificial sweeteners)